Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2012-13 AA "Soft Landing" / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 29, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

NOTE: AA has announced there will be NO SOFT LANDING in 2014. Those lacking sufficient EQM/EQP/EQS to make status 1 mar 2014 will not "fall" one status level; they will "fall" to whatever level they actually earned flying in C/Y 2013. Link.

AAdvantage status "soft landing" is the experience of dropping only one status level when one has not flown sufficiently to maintain current level, or even retain a lower level, of status. Through status year ending 28 Feb 2013, EXP only "fell" to Platinum, Platinum to Gold (and Gold to white card / no status) regardless of how the status was originally earned, the next status year.

~American AAdvantage Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

2012-13 AA "Soft Landing" / Status Downgrade: discussion & experiences (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Jacobin777
I had a VERY soft-landing this year (flew only 15,000 miles last year as a Plat). I did receive my Gold Card early this year (after many years of being Platinum, the card didn't look good..).

Regardless, AA had a special early this year to purchase into Platinum. I forgot how much it was, IIRC $750. I purchased it back in March and I am glad I have as I am re-qualifying for Platinum flying >50,000. The huge differences of Gold vs. Plat have been the OneWorld Lounges and more important, the 100% bonus miles with Plat. over the 25% bonus miles with Gold. This has helped me a lot as I'm trying to get to the One-Million Mile Lifetime League.
Even if my flying went down, I'd immediately go for Plat for $750. The bonus miles, better upgrade status, and other benfits would make it worthwhile for me. I do not look forward to the days when I'm no longer EXP. I konw they're coming, but I hope to get to LT Plat before that happens. Lots of benefits for Plat that I would like to keep even if flying less frequently during the year.

Sadly, I have about another 6 years of EXP level flying before I'd hit LT Plat. Not sure if I can make that
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Even if my flying went down, I'd immediately go for Plat for $750. The bonus miles, better upgrade status, and other benfits would make it worthwhile for me. I do not look forward to the days when I'm no longer EXP. I konw they're coming, but I hope to get to LT Plat before that happens. Lots of benefits for Plat that I would like to keep even if flying less frequently during the year.

Sadly, I have about another 6 years of EXP level flying before I'd hit LT Plat. Not sure if I can make that
Yeah. I'm in the same boat, not looking forward to the day I lose EXP. I don't think I can hit LT PLT in the time frame of my EXP flying.

I would think that AA would give ample warning if the soft landing policy were to change, similar to how they announced the new MM program.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Unpublished benefit: Soft Landing questions.

I understand that when someone fails to re-qualify for status (for example, for EXP), Platinum status is given for the next year.

How long has this benefit been around?
And...do you think they will ever take it away?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AFAIK, it's been around since Platinum debuted in about 1994. Will it be discontinued? Let me polish my crystal ball and get back to you . . .

Nobody knows, but we can certainly speculate about it.

The more important issue is this: DO whatever you need to do to renew your EXP status for next year. WHATEVER it takes.
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Does AA do soft landings to Gold after PLT gained through challenge?
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think it matters how you obtain status - I believe that AA's past practice is to drop you one level (the soft landing).
Old Dec 4, 2011, 1:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Threads merged. For those members who are newer or unaware, the reason is listed below.

For comprehensive information on using Search and Advanced Search, please see: Using the Search Feature on FlyerTalk: The Definitive Thread

Thanks, AA Moderator Team

Originally Posted by TOS / Rules
Use the Search Feature - link to this guideline

Before starting a thread, use the search feature to see if there's a recent thread on your topic. Many questions come up repeatedly on FlyerTalk. If you're wondering about a specific Hilton property in Chicago, for example, there's a good chance a thread - or 10 - already exists. The search link is located in the navigation menu near the top of the Forums page. Keeping information on the same topic confined to as few threads as possible helps members quickly find the information they need.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:48 am

What about "soft landing" for non-elites?

It looks like I'll end 2011 with over 24,800 miles, just short of Gold Status. I'll fly another 14,000 miles or so before January 10, but I guess that won't do me any good. I'm not elite level now, so I don't think I'll qualify for the unofficial soft landing described here. Does anyone have experience getting a nod into elite status as a first timer who just missed the cutoff?

Thanks,
Tonto
Old Dec 6, 2011, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by tontotomas
It looks like I'll end 2011 with over 24,800 miles, just short of Gold Status. I'll fly another 14,000 miles or so before January 10, but I guess that won't do me any good. I'm not elite level now, so I don't think I'll qualify for the unofficial soft landing described here. Does anyone have experience getting a nod into elite status as a first timer who just missed the cutoff?

Thanks,
Tonto
You don't say your location. But either do a quick same day MR or call AA after 12/31 and ask for an exception. Possibly AA would consider an exception on less than 200 miles but I would not count on it. Of course, the most a TA can say is no (and you may want to call back.)

For what its worth I was told by an EXP TA yesterday that CS has been given a written guideline for making exceptions on status and the like for year 2012.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tontotomas

Thanks,
Tonto
Do a search, using the advanced search feature, keyword "grace", search titles only to find the extensive discussion of this situation.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
As with AA's MM program, the soft landing is unique to AA as no other US airline offers it. I would not expect this to last forever and enjoy the benefit while it lasts.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Time traveller
As with AA's MM program, the soft landing is unique to AA as no other US airline offers it. I would not expect this to last forever and enjoy the benefit while it lasts.
I'd rather not have to enjoy this benefit and remain EXP.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: AA EXECUTIVE, US GOLD, HILTON DOUBLE DIAMOND :)
status question

Exec-Plat in 2011, but I did not fly enough last year to re-qualify for 2012.

I'm still showing to be ex-plat; I thought those all reset on Jan 1st?????

Thanks very much
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
according to senior FTers you qualify as "fake" EXP

membership year ends 3/1. you will likely become PLT if AA still does soft landing this year.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, B6 Mosaic
Look at the expiration date on your EXP Card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.