Wiki Posts
Search

"Book Now Through Nov. 15" Slashed?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
"Book Now Through Nov. 15" Slashed?

They announced the sale on Tuesday with the title: Book Now Through Nov. 15 for Travel During Portions of Fall, Winter or Spring

For the last two days there were really good sale fares for a large number of city combinations. It now appears everything except the sample fares in the press release has been pulled.

http://aa.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=3370
Old Nov 3, 2011, 8:42 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Nope. I'm still seeing the same very low fares I've been seeing since yesterday. A few particular flights are now gone (as expected), but nothing earth shattering. Booked one, have another on hold, and looking for others. As examples, SFO-><lots of places> is still looking very good, and qualifies for the DEQM

No "pulling" going on. Nothing to see here.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Nope. I'm still seeing the same very low fares I've been seeing since yesterday. A few particular flights are now gone (as expected), but nothing earth shattering. Booked one, have another on hold, and looking for others. As examples, SFO-><lots of places> is still looking very good, and qualifies for the DEQM

No "pulling" going on. Nothing to see here.

Cheers.
The bolded parts are flat wrong.

Anyone who actually searched for flights to Europe will know the fares were $150-$250 lower on Tuesday/Wednesday.

If you have doubts check Iberia and look at the previous flight offers people were finding during the time period. It is far from a complete list, but it does list the original sale price of certain city pairs.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
I did notice that the DFW fares to Europe were hiked more than $100. I saw a really good DFW-MXP fare on the first day of the sale ($267 IIRC), and I thought about posting it in the MR Deals forum, but when I checked the next day it was gone.

I thought I had mistaken the fare; it's good to know I'm not crazy.

Another thing to consider, though, is that there are two concurrent Europe sales going on at the moment. One has lower fares if you have 'flexible' dates.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:34 am
Original Poster

The pre tax fares from BOS to almost all of Europe were $255 each way for a total cost of $600-$700 or about 7 cpm. The revised sale fares (many of which have been loaded since my OP) seem to be around 9 cpm, though there are exceptions.

Even at its best the sale wasn't really MR worthy, but it seemed like a great way to see a few new cities.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:20 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Even at its best the sale wasn't really MR worthy, but it seemed like a great way to see a few new cities.
It takes less to impress those of us who live in the fortress hub.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Still seeing the same (even better in some cases) deals from DFW - wherever, too. I don't see a hike in prices. I'm seeing drops now on most of them, actually.

BOS/JFK - LHR for $224 one way? That's crazy. ^
Old Nov 3, 2011, 1:58 pm

The pre tax fares from BOS to almost all of Europe were $255 each way for a total cost of $600-$700 or about 7 cpm. The revised sale fares (many of which have been loaded since my OP) seem to be around 9 cpm, though there are exceptions.

I'm looking at BOS-LHR right now on AA108 for 11/15/11 for $224 / $7.49cpm.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
BOS/JFK - LHR for $224 one way? That's crazy. ^
Those fares were "examples" in the press release, I think the examples are the only ones left at the original, very nice price.

I suspect the following happened:
On Tuesday they rolled out the low initial sale prices across all 3 carriers
Last night they changed their mind and pulled all the fares not used as examples
Today they have been inputting replacement, somewhat higher sale fares

The revised sale prices are still better than the normal fares, so when they are input it looks like a fare drop.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

I really regret missing out on BOS-ATH, BOS-HEL, BOS-TLL, BOS-PRG, BOS-LIS, BOS-WAW... for $255 each way. Beyond being overwhelmed by my options I want to take a long weekend and needed to secure a day off work. I didn't get permission to take a Monday off until this morning at which point fares had gone up.

The original sale covered just about every European city served by BA or IB (plus TLL AY) and ran through March for every pair I checked, but excluded IST and North Africa.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:23 pm

Beyond being overwhelmed by my options I want to take a long weekend and needed to secure a day off work. I didn't get permission to take a Monday off until this morning at which point fares had gone up.
That's the worst. I hate it when that happens, as well. You find a good price, but want to give it juuuust a little more time. Come back and she's gone.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
I really regret missing out on BOS-ATH, BOS-HEL, BOS-TLL, BOS-PRG, BOS-LIS, BOS-WAW... for $255 each way. Beyond being overwhelmed by my options I want to take a long weekend and needed to secure a day off work. I didn't get permission to take a Monday off until this morning at which point fares had gone up.

The original sale covered just about every European city served by BA or IB (plus TLL AY) and ran through March for every pair I checked, but excluded IST and North Africa.
Then there was that one time YVR-AMS for $155+tax (about 680 ai including TA service fee)......

YVR-LAX-JFK-MAD-AMS-LHR-JFK-MIA-SEA-YVR was my routing, by choice.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 6:08 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i see a few at the sale price, but not for both ways, in recent pricing....i suspect the early bird got the worms...
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Sadly, not that much interesting from SEA. And positioning to LAX or SFO is a bit cost-prohibitive right now. I do have a $180 credit on AS to use by Sept '12 so I'll keep looking.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 7:56 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
It's been in the news that all the airlines put in fare increases on Wed. and it seemed to have "stuck". More are expected...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.