Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA & EY / Etihad Airways launch reciprocal miles redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:29 am

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
Do extra Business class awards ever come up?

I am trying to book EY award tickets from AUH to ORD next summer. I need 3 seats and prefer business class (there is no first class on this flight). The AA agent I spoke with says they only release 2 business award seats at a time. So I have two on hold hoping EY will release another now that those are taken.

I know award seats can open up any time, but just curious if anyone has had experience with EY opening up another seat soon after the 2 available were taken? I'm wondering if it's worth taking a chance and booking the two seats and hoping the third will open later. I am traveling with my kids so there is no way we can split up (they are 9 and 11), so if it doesn't open I'll just have to pay the award cancel fee and start over. Otherwise, I may just play it safe and take coach seats since there are 3 available. Don't look forward to that flight in economy though!

Thanks in advance
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by KimT
I know award seats can open up any time, but just curious if anyone has had experience with EY opening up another seat soon after the 2 available were taken? I'm wondering if it's worth taking a chance and booking the two seats and hoping the third will open later. I am traveling with my kids so there is no way we can split up (they are 9 and 11), so if it doesn't open I'll just have to pay the award cancel fee and start over. Otherwise, I may just play it safe and take coach seats since there are 3 available. Don't look forward to that flight in economy though!
Why wouldn't you book two in business and one in economy as a placeholder?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:01 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by holtju2
exactly. if i recall correctly you can up from econ to biz without paying a change fee.

that said i would not have high expectation of getting more than two seats unfortunately
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Plat - 2MM, Delta - GM
Originally Posted by holtju2
I may do that as well, but we really need to all be in the same class since they are kids. I can book the 1 economy placeholder and hope that if the one more business seat doesn't open that two more economy award seats would still be available. I will certainly hate to 'downgrade' the other two (and pay the reinstatment/reissue fee), but will have to do that so we can all be together. However, I'll just have to try and change dates or cancel it all if I can't eventually get 3 tickets together in the same class. It's just hard to know what to do because I can get the 3 economy tickets right now.

That's why I'm wondering if they just give out 2 award seat in business and that's it, end of hope. Or, is there a chance more ill open? I know with AA there is the chance but don't know anything about EY's award methodology.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:25 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Question

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Has anyone had success in trying to book BNE-SIN with EY in J as part of their AA Award? I'm trying to do do BNE-SIN (EY), SIN-HKG (CX)
What is the flight #/date?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 3:30 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by baclubflyer
on the EY segment EP is showing as wide open in I but AA rep says no availability...
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
That's because Expert Flyer shows only upgrade availability for EY, not award availability. http://www.expertflyer.com/sessionlessClassList.do
Originally Posted by m0hamed
I found Expertflyer gave me no results SYD-AUH for Dec/Jan.

KVS actually reflected correct award availability, and the rep of FT helped me identifty specific dates.

Using EY's website I was unable to determine which award type would reflect AA award redemption availability.
Originally Posted by nabeelj
No idea how ExpertFlyer is shortened to EP but ExpertFlyer does not show EY award availability.
Indeed, the KVS Tool continues to be the only Tool that actually supports EY Award Availability (which is distinct from its Upgrade Availability):

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AwardUpgrad...es_NonAlliance
Old Dec 15, 2011, 4:09 pm
Suspended

The EY website is free and easy for checking award and upgrade inventory. KVS gets its EY information from that website or http://www.flightstats.com, which is also free and easy.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by KVS
Indeed, the KVS Tool continues to be the only Tool that actually supports EY Award Availability (which is distinct from its Upgrade Availability):

http://Help.KVSTool.com/#AwardUpgrad...es_NonAlliance
I do appreciate that. However, KVS only shows awards 300 days out (instead of 330) and by that time the premium awards could be (are) gone. It would be nice if KVS could show awards 330 days out when they can first be booked
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:09 pm

The EY website is free and easy for checking award and upgrade inventory. KVS gets its EY information from that website or http://www.flightstats.com, which is also free and easy.
When checking on EY website, one gets up to 4 different levels of awards (for example for AUH-JFK in F on a given date it goes from 1760578 to 2286514 miles with "best showing at 222004). How do you know which level of award is available for booking with AA miles?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 7:20 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili
When checking on EY website, one gets up to 4 different levels of awards (for example for AUH-JFK in F on a given date it goes from 1760578 to 2286514 miles with "best showing at 222004). How do you know which level of award is available for booking with AA miles?
the one that appears to be the one matching AA inventory is the lowest, the first box at the top of the screen.

the other two with higher mileage does not match with AA award inventory.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:40 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

I do appreciate that. However, KVS only shows awards 300 days out (instead of 330) and by that time the premium awards could be (are) gone. It would be nice if KVS could show awards 330 days out when they can first be booked
Actually, the maximum date range that the KVS Tool supports for EY Award Availability is 361 days, as mentioned in the KVS Tool User Guide at http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Method_Amad...rdsUpgrades_EY:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.8.1/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards-Upgrades/EY]
Code:
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
AUH  Abu Dhabi Intl AE [OMAA]
MON  10 Dec 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
EY         100     JFK   22:40     AUH   20:45 +1  345  0   I2 N5 R5
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by KVS
Actually, the maximum date range that the KVS Tool supports for EY Award Availability is 361 days, as mentioned in the KVS Tool User Guide at http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Method_Amad...rdsUpgrades_EY:

[KVS Availability Tool 6.8.1/Diamond - Amadeus: Awards-Upgrades/EY]
Code:
JFK  New York John F Kennedy Intl NY US [KJFK]
AUH  Abu Dhabi Intl AE [OMAA]
MON  10 Dec 2012

Carrier    Flight  From  Depart    To    Arrive    A/C  St  Availability
---------  ------  ----  --------  ----  --------  ---  --  ------------
EY         100     JFK   22:40     AUH   20:45 +1  345  0   I2 N5 R5
Thanks.
So is it availability that only goes out 300 days and awards 361 days out?
Obviously, I still have a lot to learn.
Also, the mobile version (for iPad) only shows availability but not EY awards?

Last edited by Paulchili; Dec 15, 2011 at 10:29 pm
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:48 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Thanks.
So is it availability that only goes out 300 days and awards 361 days out?
Obviously, I still have a lot to learn.
Date ranges vary by Method and are listed at http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Methods

Also, the mobile version (for iPad) only shows availability but not EY awards?
EY Award Availability does require the main KVS Tool application, but EY Upgrade Availability is accessible via both -- please see http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
Old Dec 17, 2011, 3:13 pm

Arrow

Exactly right, as I noted before:

Originally Posted by pete4212
no, KVS is not the only source of EY Award Availability, the EY website is. To see the exact award and upgrade class values, go here:

https://www.etihadairways.com/sites/...obe/trial.aspx

Then do your search, the values are in the source code, can be seen and scraped by anyone, for free.
And confirmed by skunker

Originally Posted by skunker
Wow, you are right! Random date for JFK-AUH
So KVS gets the EY award inventory from a hidden page on the EY website itself, which is available for free.

Originally Posted by KVS
EY Award Availability does require the main KVS Tool application
Once again, no.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 6:55 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by pete4212
Once again, no.
Once again, we remain confident that we are in a better position to provide an authoritative answer to Paulchili's specific question about the functionality of the KVS Tool.

Last edited by KVS; Jan 2, 2012 at 12:53 pm Reason: Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.