Wiki Posts
Search

Does the $20 or $50 trick (bribe) work for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLATINUM
Does the $20 or $50 trick (bribe) work for upgrades

Just wondering. I do a lot of pleasure travel. When I check into a hotel, I always put a $20-$50 bill in between my credit card and drivers liscense when I check in and hand it to the clerk and ask if I qualify for a complimentary upgrade. I have been 85% succesfull with this. I am not talking little upgrades either. In fact the last time I did this with $50, they upgraded me, gave me $150 spa credit and $40 food credit.
So I am wondering.......................... Would this work with AA?
Yes
No
Maybe

I am thinking of trying this next week. Any thoughts?

P.S. - I REFUSE TO PAY FULL FARE 1ST CLASS
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.3MM, WN A+/CP, HH DIA, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
Short answer: No.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by CUSO
Just wondering. I do a lot of pleasure travel. When I check into a hotel, I always put a $20-$50 bill in between my credit card and drivers liscense when I check in and hand it to the clerk and ask if I qualify for a complimentary upgrade. I have been 85% succesfull with this. I am not talking little upgrades either. In fact the last time I did this with $50, they upgraded me, gave me $150 spa credit and $40 food credit.
So I am wondering.......................... Would this work with AA?
Yes
No
Maybe

I am thinking of trying this next week. Any thoughts?

P.S. - I REFUSE TO PAY FULL FARE 1ST CLASS
As loyal Elite to AA, I hope this never works for you. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

And if you refuse to pay full fare F, why not pay the discounted, Instant Upgrade F fare?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I thought you were leaving AA for greener pastures at DL?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microwave
i AM. Actually flying Delta next week, as DFW-AVP is $400 less on Delta (can you believe $400?) . Just wondering if it would work on AA. Also, I want to fly AA, but they keep pricing me out... I will be back when they come back to reality
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Good heavens. No.

hand it to the clerk
And you'll never get anything from the agents if you refer to them as "clerks."
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
Who would do that? I've totally given up on DL's frequent flyer program, it's worse than AA or UA/CO in so many ways.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyer
Who would do that? I've totally given up on DL's frequent flyer program, it's worse than AA or UA/CO in so many ways.
I dont care about DL program.... I care that there fare was $400 less... Does this only make sense to me?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:56 pm

Wasn't there just another thread a week ago about bribing?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 3:58 pm
Suspended

FF Programs

Originally Posted by starflyer
Stick with the program where you have the most miles. All airlines and all airline FF programs will be the same soon. If not exactly the same, they will be close enough.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Die, thread, die!

Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sukn
Die, thread, die!

Ok, I dont understand the attitude. I have a serious inquery. Why cant this be discussed?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Ok, I dont understand the attitude. I have a serious inquery. Why cant this be discussed?
I suppose every forum has its own culture. Here on the AA forum, the "regulars" really do frown upon unethical interaction with AA employees. Sure, we all want upgrades, but generally this forum encourages people to play by the rules.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sukn
I suppose every forum has its own culture. Here on the AA forum, the "regulars" really do frown upon unethical interaction with AA employees. Sure, we all want upgrades, but generally this forum encourages people to play by the rules.
Tipping is a part of of american culture.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat
The trick can work for hotels because their is some latitude given to front desk employees in granting room upgrades. For American Airlines there is a computerized list, and agents deviating from this list could lose their jobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.