Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does the $20 or $50 trick (bribe) work for upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by CUSO
Tipping is a part of of american culture.
I don't think that's the point.

On the vast majority of flights, such behavior would be taking the F seat away from someone entitled to it (via the legitimate upgrade program) OR at worst from a paying-F passenger. At best, you get an empty seat for a tip that goes in the pocket of the gate agent. This is against policy (and flights are audited to review who sat in F) as AA doesn't want to diminish the value of its F product. If you could reliably slip an agent a $20 or a $50, who would ever pay for it?

The situation is not analagous to hotels where there are quite frequently suites or preferred rooms that aren't booked. I'm not condoning the practice per se (even though I have successfully played the $20 trick at the Vdara in Las Vegas and scorred a massive upgrade). But the vast majority of the time, the practice is going to result in you ending up in a room that would have otherwise gone vacant or been given to someone elese for free. The same argument applies though - if your guests figure out they can get away with slipping a $20 and getting a $500 suite for their $99 reservation - they will too stop paying for suites. Which is why hotels like the Wynn/Encore in Las Vegas now aggressively prohibit their front desk clerks from such upgrades.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
L.O.L. I think in this case you mean bribery. Certainly I have never given a monetary tip to a gate/ticket agent.

Seriously, AA has a very, very modest limit on the value of gifts that employees can accept. For example, were you to send a box of chocolates to a reservation agent, it must be shared with other employees.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been 85% succesfull with this.S
Congrats.

(I doubt it)
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
You call 50 dollars tipping?
Sorry, thats more of a African bribe to me

Originally Posted by dfw_plt_aa
For American Airlines there is a computerized list, and agents deviating from this list could lose their jobs.
And I hope the agents lose their jobs, I would be pissed if a non-status or GLD steal upgrades from EXPs for 20-50 bucks. Look to the CO or DL board for upgrade shenanigans
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLATINUM
Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Congrats.

(I doubt it)
My % is very low compare to others... There are antire forums dedicated to this :
http://www.frontdesktip.com/las-vegas/caesars-palace/

Just like flyertalk, it has thousands of detailed 1st hand accounts of this... Do some reasearch bud.. My 85% is low compared to most
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:38 pm

Hello MR CUSO
I represent certain AMERICAN AIRLINES INTEREST IN AFRICA. As a SENIOR ASSISTANT CHAIRMAN to CHIEF ELECTED OFFICIAL GERARD ARPEY I have recently been promoted to start NEW ROUTES TO LAGOS NIGERIA. Due to systems malfunctions during computer installation, I am able to UPGRADE YOU TO LIFETIME EXECUTIVE PLATINUM STATUS. We will require ENGINEERS to manipulate the new mainframe requiring an initial deposit to defray costs. in the future, you can purchase the status for anyone at the low price of $2500 UNITED STATES DOLLARS. Please do not let this opportunity be lost..
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by WChou
Hello MR CUSO
I represent certain AMERICAN AIRLINES INTEREST IN AFRICA. As a SENIOR ASSISTANT CHAIRMAN to CHIEF ELECTED OFFICIAL GERARD ARPEY I have recently been promoted to start NEW ROUTES TO LAGOS NIGERIA. Due to systems malfunctions during computer installation, I am able to UPGRADE YOU TO LIFETIME EXECUTIVE PLATINUM STATUS. We will require ENGINEERS to manipulate the new mainframe requiring an initial deposit to defray costs. in the future, you can purchase the status for anyone at the low price of $2500 UNITED STATES DOLLARS. Please do not let this opportunity be lost..

Willing to nominate this as post of the month even though its only the 6th ^^^
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:41 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
This is not a tipping situation.

What you propose is more correctly classified as a bribe.

Furthermore, you are asking the bribee to put their job at risk with your bribe.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by sts603

Willing to nominate this as post of the month even though its only the 6th ^^^
+1 read this and fell off my seat I was laughing so hard.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spiff
This is not a tipping situation.

What you propose is more correctly classified as a bribe.

Furthermore, you are asking the bribee to put their job at risk with your bribe.
Ok. But where is the line drawn? My Food server (maybe a free desert), my hotel clerk (very likely an upgrade), the car rental guy (always an upgrade). When in the service industry does it go from a bribe to a tip? Anyhow, they are the ones making it a bribe, they don't have to give me anything
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Try it, and if it works, be sure to let us know the location and name of the AA agent who did this so that we can try it too.....
Old Oct 6, 2011, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Clipper110A
Try it, and if it works, be sure to let us know the location and name of the AA agent who did this so that we can try it too.....
Wow! This is not about flyers talking to flyers about how to get the best that they can, it sure seems like it is turning selfish about protecting ones status and the heck with the masses who can benefit.
When the AAdvantage thing went off, many were salivating at this error, is that any more unethical than offering a tip?
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
When in the service industry does it go from a bribe to a tip?
Bribe is offered as something in exchange for something (i.e. $50 for a room/seat upgrade). A tip is provided afterward for services rendered is customary in certain jobs and is generally based on how well those services were performed (waiter, skycab, taxi).

It's a pretty clear line, I'm not sure where you are getting confused.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:08 pm

Ok. But where is the line drawn? My Food server (maybe a free desert), my hotel clerk (very likely an upgrade), the car rental guy (always an upgrade). When in the service industry does it go from a bribe to a tip? Anyhow, they are the ones making it a bribe, they don't have to give me anything
I think a tip comes after good service is rendered as is proportionate with the service provided.

A bribe comes with expectations.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by WChou
Hello MR CUSO
^ Funniest thing I've read all day!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.