Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Theoretical F cabin placement on 763 if...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Speculation: Theoretical F cabin placement on 763 if...

So according to a.net speculation, when the 762s go away, then a few of the 763's would get converted to 3 class. I was thinking about how a reconfigured 763 could look. Would this be feasible?

Keep the NGBC J seats where they are.
Rip out the economy mini-cabin and install F seats/suites there?

Would a cabin layout where F was between J and Y work, or does custom dictate that F is always the forward most cabin? My thinking is that this way you have to just rip out one section of seats instead of moving lots of things around.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I kinda doubt F would be placed between the engines behind J.

It's relatively easy to move all of J back. Loosen the bolts on the seat track and slide everything back.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Despite the rumors, AA has not officially decided to do about the 762 replacement, used primarily on transcons. If the 763s are used, AA might go with a smaller J cabin. IMHO I don't see AA doing away with the entire Y mini cabin.

The other issue is when AA would finally get the 787s. Without the 787s the 763s may not be available for domestic use. Also, AA would need to consider what to do with routes where a 787 or a 777 may be too much of an a/c.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Also, AA would need to consider what to do with routes where a 787 or a 777 may be too much of an a/c.
I expect those routes will continue to be flow by 757s until one of the 757s literally falls apart (or they make a suitable 797).
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:03 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Or if United pulls F on their PS Service, expect AA to do the same. The SAG contracts no longer require F on Transcons.

I have a feeling it's days are numbered, closer than most people think.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4MM, AA Life Plat, Lufthansa FT, Delta Basic
In the 60's, British European Airways (now part of BA) had Vickers Viscounts with the F class in the back. This was due to the noise of the turboprops being louder upfront. I believe that the Loockheed Electras also had a First Class behind Economy, for the same reason. As those who fly the older generation of turboprops know, the worst noise is between the propellers.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat
I think First will be relegated to the 777 (or 787) as domestic first really is not much better than NGBC
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
I expect those routes will continue to be flow by 757s until one of the 757s literally falls apart (or they make a suitable 797).
That's my view. AA doesn't need to added capacity of a 767-300 v. a -200, and can use the long-haul capacity (perhaps to places not currently in the network).
Old Sep 22, 2011, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
The 763 used to be configured in a 3 class configuration.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RxCapt
The 763 used to be configured in a 3 class configuration.
Exactly. If AA reconfigures any 763s to 3-class, the F cabin will likely look exactly like it did in 2003 when AA removed the F lie-flats (that are currently used in the 762s). Simply reinstall the coffins and move J back about 15-18 feet.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Wherever it makes the non-revs most happy.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:14 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Or if United pulls F on their PS Service, expect AA to do the same. The SAG contracts no longer require F on Transcons.

I have a feeling it's days are numbered, closer than most people think.
Are you sure they ever did? I know they required first class but have my doubts as to whether it specified how many classes the plane could have.

I also question whether they'd even go with three-class planes if/when the 763 replaces the 762 for transcon flights. The trend overall seems to be away from F, with many international carriers abandoning the product all together (or planning to do so).

As long as we're playing "fantasy configuration", I'd rather see an expanded premium cabin with a 2-1-2 configuration (like CO 767s) using either recycled coffins or the 777 J seats (if they got rid of F on there the current J seat wouldn't cut it) with slightly wider dividers/tables between them.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by Cofyknsult
In the 60's, British European Airways (now part of BA) had Vickers Viscounts with the F class in the back. This was due to the noise of the turboprops being louder upfront. I believe that the Loockheed Electras also had a First Class behind Economy, for the same reason. As those who fly the older generation of turboprops know, the worst noise is between the propellers.
BA still (sort of) has a precedent for this: the 52-J 744. While F is still in the front, J is situated behind premium economy.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Exactly. If AA reconfigures any 763s to 3-class, the F cabin will likely look exactly like it did in 2003 when AA removed the F lie-flats (that are currently used in the 762s). Simply reinstall the coffins and move J back about 15-18 feet.
+1.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
I know they required first class but have my doubts as to whether it specified how many classes the plane could have.
Yes, apparently the contracts specified F on three-class aircraft, if such aircraft were available on the route. At least, that's what someone said in another FT thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.