Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIH-LAX: No food in coach

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Originally Posted by pssteve
Not unusual in the least. It mirrors my experience from LIH in Aug in F. Here is my post from 8/13/11.

Learned the hard way this week that AA does not cater from LIH. The same plane goes LAX-LIH then turns without loading so much as a Coke.
Asked for Rum and diet Coke...Sorry no diet Coke,no Coke,no diet Pepsi but Pepsi was available.

Food menu (Snack)
Tropical mixed nuts
Garden Lasagna (blend of cheeses)
Uno's Spinach and Garlic Pizza (cheese)
Warm bread and a fresh fruit and cheese plate (Fresh fruit was 5 green grapes)Cheese was a foil wrapped triangle of brie with a cracker.

This was served on a 5+ hour flight over dinner hour. The GA in LIH made several announcements prior to boarding to Econ folks that it was a long flight and there was very limited BOB available and they should visit a take out restaurant in the terminal. Just wish he had warned F pax of the same limits.

That's very disappointing. I'm flying in coach (upgrades didn't clear) on the LAX-LIH 9a flight and will certainly purchase in time and I'm F on the way back but that menu looks horrendous. Amazing they can charge $1800 for F and not even include a $10 salad from Wolfgang Puck.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
That's very disappointing. I'm flying in coach (upgrades didn't clear) on the LAX-LIH 9a flight and will certainly purchase in time and I'm F on the way back but that menu looks horrendous. Amazing they can charge $1800 for F and not even include a $10 salad from Wolfgang Puck.
- I usually take an evening flight from LAX to LIH or OGG and the menu is fine (salad, steak, sundae). This Dec I was on the 11 pm flight from OGG to LAX and the only choice in F was Uno spinach pizza served with a green salad. It looks like AA has almost the same catering for the afternoon LIH-LAX flight as for the night ride.
By the way, I was told that UA service in F from HI is quite minimalistic.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Alex_I
This Dec I was on the 11 pm flight from OGG to LAX and the only choice in F was Uno spinach pizza served with a green salad. It looks like AA has almost the same catering for the afternoon LIH-LAX flight as for the night ride.
By the way, I was told that UA service in F from HI is quite minimalistic.
It's midnight or later before anything could be served on this flight. If I were on that flight (and I never have taken that one - I avoid it like the plague) I would be thinking more of sleeping than eating.

I took the 2PM flight OGG-LAX last week. We had a salad with choice of miso cilantro or vinagrette dressing, a choice of teriyaki salmon (the Sam Choy entree) or ricotta and spinach stuffed lasagna, King's Hawaiian rolls, and made-to-order sundaes or fruit/cheese plate. Of course, it was served at a time when eating was more reasonable than sleeping.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HYATT GLOBALIST, AS75K
Change of planes meant I got upgraded and the service was great but the food (a macadamian french toast) was kinda grossly sweet. Good champagne, though, on board. The entertainment was the TV console hanging from the ceiling with the 1950s audio. Can't wait for the Samsung tablets to be standard.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:24 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ThreeA4Me
Change of planes meant I got upgraded and the service was great but the food (a macadamian french toast) was kinda grossly sweet. Good champagne, though, on board. The entertainment was the TV console hanging from the ceiling with the 1950s audio. Can't wait for the Samsung tablets to be standard.
The new tablets will likely NOT be standard on any domestic or vacation/leisure routes such as any service to the Hawaiian Islands. AA have stated that these will be used on specific International and specific Trans-con routes. When you mentioned a change of planes, you must have been on a flight that was switched to a 767-200 or 767-300. That would definitely improve your chances for an upgrade.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:35 am

Programs: their are many of them
Seriously ??? wow i am kinda shell-shocked reading all this AA does not Cater the return leg of flights from Hawaii back to mainland with any of the fresh BOB items.

this is just bad, I am appalled by how cheap is on some of this stuff

UA at least restocks beverages hawaii stations where it does limited catering.

UA is actually amping up its hawaii service a bit more in F in the coming year.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TWAB747nomore
Seriously ??? wow i am kinda shell-shocked reading all this AA does not Cater the return leg of flights from Hawaii back to mainland with any of the fresh BOB items.
Most flights from Hawaii to the mainland do get BOB. It's just LIH, AFAIK, that doesn't.

I never rely on BOB, because they often run out and because you can normally get better food cheaper elsewhere and bring it on board.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:16 am

Programs: their are many of them
Originally Posted by gemac
Most flights from Hawaii to the mainland do get BOB. It's just LIH, AFAIK, that doesn't.

I never rely on BOB, because they often run out and because you can normally get better food cheaper elsewhere and bring it on board.
most of the airlines BOB is marginal at best.

I would like to see AA refresh the BOB offerings
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most of the airlines BOB is marginal at best.

I would like to see AA refresh the BOB offerings
The reason why BOB is marginal at best is that the airline faces a tough proposition. They have to price BOB low enough so that it sells, and have a cost low enough that the caterer can prepare it and haul it to the airport to put it on the plane and still make a profit, and AA can pay a commission to it's FAs to sell it and still make a profit. In addition, AA should pitch any that don't sell on the flight they are loaded on, which is another cost and which makes it difficult to make sure you have enough for everybody. If you buy something on your way to the airport, there are fewer costs and fewer hands in the till. BOB will always be more expensive and less appealing than what you bring on board yourself. In addition, while I would like to believe that the BOB hasn't been flying around on that aircraft for a week, sometimes I wonder.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 9:43 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by gemac
BOB will always be more expensive and less appealing than what you bring on board yourself.
Seriously - they never have the garlic squid curry I like to eat on planes (particularly crowded ERJs), so I always have to bring a big steaming tupperware for myself
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
UA at least restocks beverages hawaii stations where it does limited catering.
UA is actually amping up its hawaii service a bit more in F in the coming year.
- That is great because AA is likely to follow UA in terms of service in F.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
I REALLY wish AA would learn from the other AA (AirAsia) for pre-ordering meals for their longer domestic flights like these. WOuldn't make sense for short flights like LAX-SFO, but long flights like LAX-LIH, DFW-HNL, or JFK-LAX warrant some kind of pre-order meal service.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ght-meals.html
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by kebosabi
I REALLY wish AA would learn from the other AA (AirAsia) for pre-ordering meals for their longer domestic flights like these. WOuldn't make sense for short flights like LAX-SFO, but long flights like LAX-LIH, DFW-HNL, or JFK-LAX warrant some kind of pre-order meal service.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ght-meals.html
Whatever happened to the JFK/LAX BOB test (DL is doing the same now for selected JFK/LAX flights but I was not impressed with the selection.) Its seems to me a five hour flight would be a route with positive response. Who the hell wants to eat cookies and Lays Stack Potato Chips for 5+ hours (other than people that have no concern about their health).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Whatever happened to the JFK/LAX BOB test (DL is doing the same now for selected JFK/LAX flights but I was not impressed with the selection.) Its seems to me a five hour flight would be a route with positive response. Who the hell wants to eat cookies and Lays Stack Potato Chips for 5+ hours (other than people that have no concern about their health).
Certainly no offense to you George, but who in the world that has any care for food one eats boards a 5 hour flight without some food? I always bring food from home or restaurant near airport or if needed from airport vendor - I've never found the need to purchase BoB. My attitude towards BoB service is like mine towards checked luggage - don't do it, lousy product, buyer beware.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Certainly no offense to you George, but who in the world that has any care for food one eats boards a 5 hour flight without some food? I always bring food from home or restaurant near airport or if needed from airport vendor - I've never found the need to purchase BoB. My attitude towards BoB service is like mine towards checked luggage - don't do it, lousy product, buyer beware.
Since I like other NYers are cabbing it or using public transportation to the airport schleping food from home or buying food and carrying it on is a pain. With AA I'm usually upfront (although my upgrade to MIA tomorrow night is looking bleak) and when I do get stuck in Y for a period of time while I don't expect surf and turf it would be nice to end up BOB that is more than nasty junk food.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.