Wiki Posts
Search

American and the Airbus A319

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, SPG GLD
American and the Airbus A319

The morning they announced the major aircraft order, AA sent out several tweets including that they have ordered 130 A319s and 130 A321s.
As a loyal AA flyer for the last 20 years I can't help but contain my excitement about the prospect of the A319 entering AA's fleet.

While there's still going to be a capacity gap between the CR7s and the A319s, the A319 will clearly provide AA with some opportunities in markets where their current fleet just doesn't work.

Having said that I'm curious as to what people think about the following:
1. Best guesses on AA's A319 configuration?

AA's typical F pitch is 39-40" on domestic flights with 31-32" in coach.
US has 3 rows of 4 F seats (37" pitch) and 19 rows of coach (31") for a total of 122 seats.
DL has 3 rows of 4 F seats (36" pitch) and 19 rows of coach (30-32") for a total of 124 seats.
UA has 2 rows of 4 F seats (38" pitch), and 6 rows of eco+ (35"), and 13 rows of coach (31") for a total of 120 seats.

2. What are some of the ideal markets for AA's A319s?

I can think of several markets off hand where the A319s would work on both new and existing routes - ORD-DEN,DCA,ATL,IAH,etc., but there are so many opportunities - which might they choose first?
Will AA choose to upgauge and strengthen it's routes out of an increasingly competitive ORD or LGA?
Will they decide to use them in MIA or LAX to upgauge existing service and add new cities to continue building domestic feed?
Or could they just decide to continue building up the fortress of DFW?

Last edited by crAAzy; Jul 31, 2011 at 12:00 am
Old Jul 30, 2011, 3:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
We knew they were ordering A320 family aircraft, and we still (apparently) do not know how many of these will be neo models. As to configuration, we can only hope they do not "innovate" in the US and end up like BA Club Europe or IB Business with 3 x 3 leaving the middle seat empty and 34" pitch.

I can also hope they do not allow their aircraft to fall into the state of the last UA A320 I flew on - nasty!
Old Jul 30, 2011, 4:01 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
The mix has yet to be determined and may not be determined fully for a while.

See Exclusive Interview: American Airlines Officials Discuss Boeing, Airbus Deal for comments made by Arpey and others to me about the order including configuration etc.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jspira
The mix has yet to be determined and may not be determined fully for a while.

See Exclusive Interview: American Airlines Officials Discuss Boeing, Airbus Deal for comments made by Arpey and others to me about the order including configuration etc.
Thanks. I'm aware of the above article and the configuration hasn't been decided that's why I'm asking for people's opinions.

Actually, the mix of Airbus has been decided according to their Twitter announcements. 130 current generation A319s & A321s starting in 2013 and 130 A319 and A321 NEOs starting in 2017. Additionally, if you look at the graphics on various releases from AA it also confirms A319s and A321s in addition to the B738 with BSIs. http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aanews.jsp

Of course the options are a different story and I believe AA may choose to replace some it's it's oldest 738s (delivered in 1999) with A320 NEO options after 2017 but given the 738 numbers, I doubt we'll see any current A320s in the fleet and if what Airbus says it true about the A320 NEO line being sold out through 2018, the A320 NEO may not enter the fleet until AA's 738s start hitting the 20 year mark.

As for the Boeing orders, the mix of aircraft have not been determined although there has been mention of 737s,738s, and 739s.

Originally Posted by JDiver
As to configuration, we can only hope they do not "innovate" in the US and end up like BA Club Europe or IB Business with 3 x 3 leaving the middle seat empty and 34" pitch.
Agree that would be horrible and likely non-competitive given US,UA,DL all have F prodcuts on their A319s. Heck if they did that, the CRJs would have a better F seat/product

Last edited by crAAzy; Jul 30, 2011 at 5:42 pm
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by crAAzy
Actually, the mix of Airbus has been decided according to their Twitter announcements. 130 current generation A319s & A321s starting in 2013 and 130 A319 and A321 NEOs starting in 2017. Additionally, if you look at the graphics on various releases from AA it also confirms A319s and A321s in addition to the B738 with BSIs. http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aanews.jsp
Actually, I believe that JDiver is correct; AA has not confirmed via any social media channel (or plane old media) the mix of A320 family airplanes or how many A319s, A320s and A321s will be delivered.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Wirelessly posted (Apple iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's exactly correct. Orders are one thing, but until AA actually takes delivery, it still could be reversed. I feel like we've seen quite a few times in the past 15 years where AA announces aircraft "orders" with great fanfare, only to have the actual number of aircraft DELIVERIES considerably scaled back, or delayed, or both. Note that when this scaling back, delaying, or postponing orders happens, it tends to happen pretty quietly, with none of the fanfare of the original "order" announcement.

In this economy, and with AA doing so poorly, I'll believe it when I see it. I was chatting with a bunch of FAs yesterday on my LAX-JFK flight and they were quite skeptical that AA would take any of these deliveries given how much "in the red" the company currently is. Who realistically would offer the loans?
Old Jul 30, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

AA Tweets Jul 20 2011

Sorry not very Twitter-literate but I've listed AA's tweets that day and they seem to be very specific about the Airbus type. Not sure if this is considered an official channel though.

AmericanAir American Airlines
Great NEWS: We’ve purchased 460 narrowbody aircraft from @BoeingAirplanes & @Airbus from 2013-22. Details: http://bit.ly/AAFLEET1

CEO Gerard Arpey, “We expect to have the youngest & most fuel-efficient fleet among our US peers in 5 yrs.” http://bit.ly/AAFLEET1

We want to hear from YOU! Join us for details and updates all day at #NewFleet

We’re accelerating the replacement of our MD80 fleet w/more fuel efficient @BoeingAirplanes 737-800s: http://bit.ly/AAFLEET2 #NewFleet

We’re also acquiring 42 787 @BoeingAirplanes w/ options for another 58 starting in 2014: http://bit.ly/AAFLEET2 #NewFleet

WATCH: Live press conference today from DFW at 10am CT for @Airbus & @BoeingAirplanes news: http://on.fb.me/AASTREAM #NewFleet

Eagle to become an independent carrier in the regional airline industry. More: http://bit.ly/AAFLEET1 #NewFleet

@AmericanAir Correct link for Eagle announcement: http://bit.ly/AEupdate

RT @BreakingNews: AA to order 460 new planes from Airbus & Boeing-says it is the largest commercial aircraft deal ever http://nyti.ms/nZml5L

We’re taking the delivery of 130 current-generation @Airbus A319s&A321s starting 2013. More: http://bit.ly/AAFLEET2 #NewFleet

Press conference begins in a few moments! Watch it live here: http://on.fb.me/AASTREAM http://twitpic.com/5t0bk0

In 2017, we’ll begin taking delivery of 130 A319s & A321s w/ @Airbus’ Neo next-generation engine technology http://bit.ly/AAFLEET1 #NewFleet

Press conference with AMR, Boeing and Airbus is beginning now. Watch live at http://on.fb.me/AASTREAM. #NewFleet

AMR Chairman and CEO Gerard Arpey: "No single manufacturer could provide the number and variety we need for the future." #NewFleet

RT @BoeingAirplanes: Boeing Commercial Airplanes CEO Jim Albaugh: Airplane order from AA 1 of the largest 737 orders ever received #NewFleet

Our #NewFleet press conference has concluded, so stay tuned for additional factoids and visuals throughout the day!

We can't wait to welcome the @BoeingAirplanes 787 into our fleet! View from the @AdmiralsClub in DFW Terminal D http://twitpic.com/5t1oum
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

We knew they were ordering A320 family aircraft, and we still (apparently) do not know how many of these will be neo models.
AA also indicated the split between existing and next-generation families for both manufacturers in one of its financial filings. No breakdown of individual models.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 6:21 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I was chatting with a bunch of FAs yesterday on my LAX-JFK flight and they were quite skeptical that AA would take any of these deliveries given how much "in the red" the company currently is.
Case closed.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/Hilton Diamond/Marriott Platinum/Hertz Pres. Circle/Avis Grand Wizard/Wife's Favorite Husband
We knew they were ordering A320 family aircraft, and we still (apparently) do not know how many of these will be neo models. As to configuration, we can only hope they do not "innovate" in the US and end up like BA Club Europe or IB Business with 3 x 3 leaving the middle seat empty and 34" pitch.

I can also hope they do not allow their aircraft to fall into the state of the last UA A320 I flew on - nasty!
Well the condition of the 757´s flying between LAX and DFW for AA is not really something to be proud of either.

The interiors are at least 5 years overdue on replacement.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:13 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I was chatting with a bunch of FAs yesterday on my LAX-JFK flight and they were quite skeptical that AA would take any of these deliveries given how much "in the red" the company currently is. Who realistically would offer the loans?
Really? What did the ticket and gate agents have to say about the subject matter?

According to American Airlines president Tom Horton, Airbus and Boeing have agreed to provide $13 billion to finance the first 230 airplanes. That works out to 100% financing of the deliveries scheduled between 2013 and 2016 and 80% of the 2017 deliveries. There are no capital expenditures in these deals; the first 230 airplanes are all to be obtained through operating leases.

Taking into account fuel and maintenance savings on the new aircraft compared to the older airplanes that they will replace, the net value of the acquisition is $1.5 billion positive for the airline.
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:21 pm
Suspended

US tried the European Business Class model when BA invested and it was a failure.

It would be nice if AA innovated along the lines of Virgin America.

How about a non-discounted all-inclusive F fare with a Virgin America style F seat on the new planes, free-wifi, five-star meet and greet service, up to four checked bags and three carry-ons and use of the AC with food-drink credit or FL. This could be accomplished with 3 rows of 51 inch pitch recliners instead of 4 rows of the current 37-38 inch pitch seats.
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TWA884
Really? What did the ticket and gate agents have to say about the subject matter?

According to American Airlines president Tom Horton, Airbus and Boeing have agreed to provide $13 billion to finance the first 230 airplanes. That works out to 100% financing of the deliveries scheduled between 2013 and 2016 and 80% of the 2017 deliveries. There are no capital expenditures in these deals; the first 230 airplanes are all to be obtained through operating leases.

Taking into account fuel and maintenance savings on the new aircraft compared to the older airplanes that they will replace, the net value of the acquisition is $1.5 billion positive for the airline.

I'm not an economist, but it looks like, then, that AA will not be putting down ANY cash for the deliveries of aircraft through 2016? That makes me wonder: how do Airbus and Boeing stay in business if the airlines don't pay them in cash? (supposedly these aircraft cost something up front to produce? or are the manufacturers operating on credit too? doesn't there have to be cold hard cash somewhere in the chain?)
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:41 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
US tried the European Business Class model when BA invested and it was a failure.

It would be nice if AA innovated along the lines of Virgin America.

How about a non-discounted all-inclusive F fare with a Virgin America style F seat on the new planes, free-wifi, five-star meet and greet service, up to four checked bags and three carry-ons and use of the AC with food-drink credit or FL. This could be accomplished with 3 rows of 51 inch pitch recliners instead of 4 rows of the current 37-38 inch pitch seats.
If everyone is F brought on 3 carry on bags, where would they call go?
Old Jul 31, 2011, 7:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by s80dude
If everyone is F brought on 3 carry on bags, where would they call go?
The new aircraft have larger overhead bins +

16 seats x 2 bags = 32
12 recliner seats x 3 bags = 36

Key = 3 carry-ons only for full fare F pax

AA could use this new fleet opportunity to create an airline within an airline to get more high yield full F pax IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.