Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Have Award Ticket to DEL, but I'm Curious

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:48 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by bruadair
It looks like I should be able to do AA SFO-ORD-DEL, CX DEL-BKK, RJ BKK-KUL, CX KUL-HKG-SFO.
You are able to do that - BUT it is more than 20,000 miles and so will take you up to a Zone 7 award - requiring 230,000 miles for F. IMHO - 50,000 extra miles is too high a price merely to add K.L.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pandaperth
You are able to do that - BUT it is more than 20,000 miles and so will take you up to a Zone 7 award - requiring 230,000 miles for F. IMHO - 50,000 extra miles is too high a price merely to add K.L.
I agree that 50k miles is too high just for K.L. but it is the only leg I found that had a different carrier from CX. I used One World's online planner, all the other legs showed only CX flights and I need at least two carriers besides AA.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:18 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bruadair
I agree that 50k miles is too high just for K.L. but it is the only leg I found that had a different carrier from CX. I used One World's online planner, all the other legs showed only CX flights and I need at least two carriers besides AA.
I think that you've overlooked the 4x weekly RJ service from BKK to HKG (Su, Tu, Th, Sa, dep BKK 1525 arr HKG 1900). The daily CX service from DEL arrives BKK at 09:30.

Given the overall itinerary is still in the discussion phase, it might be useful to clarify whether DEL is your actual destination in India, or whether that point was chosen just because you were able to purchase the ticket on aa.com.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbalmuth
I think that you've overlooked the 4x weekly RJ service from BKK to HKG (Su, Tu, Th, Sa, dep BKK 1525 arr HKG 1900). The daily CX service from DEL arrives BKK at 09:30.

Given the overall itinerary is still in the discussion phase, it might be useful to clarify whether DEL is your actual destination in India, or whether that point was chosen just because you were able to purchase the ticket on aa.com.

I did overlook Rj's 4x weekly service. I picked a random date to run through One World's itinerary builder and probably just picked a day that RJ didn't fly.

DEL is my where I will be attending the wedding but being route through another city would not be an issue for me. Domestic flights within India appear to be inexpensive enough so getting to Delhi from another city shouldn't be a problem. When I call I hope to leave myself as flexible as possible to make obtaining a ticket as easy as possible.

I haven't yet confirmed but according to CX's web site they are flying a 744 from DEL-BKK. If this is the case then the only leg that would not be in F class would be BKK-HKG, and that's fine.

I normally fly r/t PTY-SFO or BOG-SFO a few times a year on a Business Class ticket. And while I already have my award ticket to India on AA metal it would be nice to experience another carrier. If it works out great, if it doesn't at least I still have a ride. Hopefully the flexibility in my dates (so long as I make the wedding) help in acquiring a ticket. I'll post the outcome here in a few weeks after I call about a One World ticket.

Many thanks again.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:56 am

Flying 9W through BRU might be another option to explore. No F, but very nice J.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by srirams
Flying 9W through BRU might be another option to explore. No F, but very nice J.
The F cabin returns this autumn on the BOM - BRU - EWR route, on Fridays and Sundays, iirc. 9W's F suite on the 77W is very similar to CX, and the F service is also superlative. My wife and I used AA miles to fly BRU - BOM in January, 2009 (before 9W's F service on that route was removed when their planes were leased out), and it was as memorable a flight as we have ever taken. If I were considering another trip to India on AA miles, and the 9W F cabin had a seat available for redemption, I wouldn't hesitate even a second to grab it. [However, since 9W is an AA partner, but not a OW airline, it would not be able to be part of a OW award.] Since NYC is considered a gateway, the OP could also arrange a free stopover there as well (permitting them to fly on AA's 762 service from SFO - JFK).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.