Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA business class award tickets to China

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:43 am
Original Poster

AA business class award tickets to China

I am planning a trip to China in mid May 2012.
My wife and I each have about 90,000 AA miles. We like to fly business class from RDU to PEK (55000 miles) and economy class from PVG to RDU (35000 miles). Here are my questions:
1. How easy is to find 2 business award tickets?
2. How do you make award reservation for 2 tickets using 2 different AAdvantage accounts?
3. How is the experience of flying business class in AA, flat bed, meals, drinks…?
Needless to say, this is my first business class trip so any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:51 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
book your award from your account, hers from her account.....

re availability.....look often, when you find it book....very easy except the finding.....good luck...
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:09 am

As this will be a long flight, I would definitely want to be in business class for the return as well. I would strongly consider buying the extra miles you need from AA (or if possible transferring them to AA from a hotel program such as SPG).
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:11 am
In Memoriam

also, when you find 1, put it on hold while you look for the second account...this avoids a fee if the 2nd doesn't show.....and you could go as far as holding 1 ways....

start looking now....
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
No need to book separately.

Just book two seats at once. When you are ready to ticket, the agent will need to split the record and take the miles from each account accordingly.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:48 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by ilovetofly

Just book two seats at once. When you are ready to ticket, the agent will need to split the record and take the miles from each account accordingly.
I have a question as i am on the same boat. If i book, lets say 3 seats at once for an award by the same account and not separately, does this means i only pay one processing or tax fee?

Instead of paying 3 times 500BsF on taxes for each award, i would pay 500BsF for all 3 passengers in the same PNR, or does it sum up to 1.500BsF?

I have insufficient miles on a sole account to cover the cost up for the 3 of us. Can someone please reply?

I have them on hold, and would like to be 100% sure if all of this is frequently possible.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by mvtm
If i book, lets say 3 seats at once for an award by the same account and not separately, does this means i only pay one processing or tax fee?

Instead of paying 3 times 500BsF on taxes for each award, i would pay 500BsF for all 3 passengers in the same PNR, or does it sum up to 1.500BsF?
Government taxes are per ticket, so if 500BsF are for taxes you would pay 1500BsF for your 3 tickets. Additionally, in the U.S. we are charged a $20 telephone booking fee when using an agent, and that fee is also per ticket. It doesn't make a difference if they are booked in the same PNR or separately.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Taxes are per passenger, not per transaction - though probably less than 500 VEF per person. Advice to those asking here:

I recommend reading the FAQ ("sticky" thread always in the top 4 threads on the Forum front page) and the Wiki (linked to in sticky thread) for further information about awards, and the 777 and NGBC threads (Advanced Search, search withing thread titles for threads only using quotation marks to enclose terms like "777" and possibly "NGBC",) about Business class - many of your questions have been answered in detail, so asking for people to do so again is to disrespect the extensive work and sharing members have already done, and wasteful of existing resources.

Of course, we are happy to answer questions, and particularly those that have not yet been answered or that members haven't found specific answers to. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:20 am
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
As this will be a long flight, I would definitely want to be in business class for the return as well. I would strongly consider buying the extra miles you need from AA (or if possible transferring them to AA from a hotel program such as SPG).
Another option is if you don't yet have the Citi card, have each of you sign up for one with the bonus of 75000 miles for $1500 spend. This would be enough to get you both of you there and back in first class!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:52 am
In Memoriam

good idea, but may incur a fee, where linking the records may not....
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by clacko
good idea, but may incur a fee, where linking the records may not....
What is the fee when the records are not linked?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Do I need to call?
Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Yes because RDU-PEK will involve AA partners which can not be booked via AA.com. This mean there will be ticketing fee over the phone.
I can fly RDU-PEK on AA metal (via ORD). So can I still reserve 2 seats with 2 different accounts online?
Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by JCary
I can fly RDU-PEK on AA metal (via ORD). So can I still reserve 2 seats with 2 different accounts online?
Thanks!
You are right. AA does fly to PEK via ORD. Sorry for misinfo.

You can avoid ticketing fee by booking separately using each account and ticketing it at AA.com
Old Jun 15, 2011, 10:56 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
Originally Posted by JDiver
Taxes are per passenger, not per transaction - though probably less than 500 VEF per person.

Of course, we are happy to answer questions, and particularly those that have not yet been answered or that members haven't found specific answers to. /Moderator
Muchisimas Gracias!!!

Originally Posted by rofly
Government taxes are per ticket, so if 500BsF are for taxes you would pay 1500BsF for your 3 tickets. Additionally, in the U.S. we are charged a $20 telephone booking fee when using an agent, and that fee is also per ticket. It doesn't make a difference if they are booked in the same PNR or separately.
Thanks, already paid. 1.500Bsf for the 3, which are around $350 usd in taxes. A bit steep, but our taxes in Venezuela are high...because traveling is a luxury here, and only rich people are supposed to fly. Award charges $0.

No telephone booking fee, because i booked them all by myself with my FT and computer skills.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.