Wiki Posts
Search

Pizza on Diverted Flight

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2011, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2.6MM, UA 1K GS 1.6MM
Pizza on Diverted Flight

In the DFW weather thread I reported on 20+ pizzas being brought on-board when AA1740 SNA-DFW was diverted to ABI. I have never experienced this before and am wondering how this happened. Obviously we were going to be on the ground for quite some time, but who took the initiative to order these and who plunked down their credit card to pay for them?? I will say that many people around me commented that this was unusual, but I would say it really helped the mood that AA (or pilot?) took this initiative. Also, it was much more appreciated than just opening up the drinks cart. Anyone have thoughts on whether this was corporately sanctioned or the action of a "rogue" crew.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by shnewton1
In the DFW weather thread I reported on 20+ pizzas being brought on-board when AA1740 SNA-DFW was diverted to ABI. I have never experienced this before and am wondering how this happened. Obviously we were going to be on the ground for quite some time, but who took the initiative to order these and who plunked down their credit card to pay for them?? I will say that many people around me commented that this was unusual, but I would say it really helped the mood that AA (or pilot?) took this initiative. Also, it was much more appreciated than just opening up the drinks cart. Anyone have thoughts on whether this was corporately sanctioned or the action of a "rogue" crew.
It would be odd if it were corporate sanctioned but they chose only one flight to shower with pizza.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:24 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
What address do you give Pizza Hut to deliver to the plane? And how long did it take to get them through the scanners?
Old May 24, 2011, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, AmEx Platinum Card, SPG Platinum
Had a passengr do this for a flight delayed 5 hours at ORD a few years ago. It was a half empty flight, but the FAs gave him free drinks all the way to MIA. Pizza hut stall at concourse H-K food court provided the pizzas.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a WAG, but I'd bet that the Captain did it.
Old May 24, 2011, 3:38 pm

It would be nice if it was corporate...it would show that someone, somewhere, has their head screwed on straight.

Corporations will spend hundreds of millions of dollars trying to buy our loyalty and good will, when in the end, they could accomplish the same end with a little human decency and some cheap pizza.

"Penny-Wise, Pound-Foolish" is the motto of many American corporations.
Old May 24, 2011, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
It's unusual on AA; I have never seen such a thing on one of their flights.

However on some others (Southwest for example), ordering pizza for delayed pax is fairly common.

I wouldn't mind seeing it more often; while I don't expect to be fed if there is a delay or diversion, it's certainly a nice gesture and a pretty decent cost/benefit for the goodwill created. Just my opinion, YMMV.
Old May 24, 2011, 6:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
I agree with others that this is something AA should do. The little gesture can mean so much to passengers, and does show them that the airline cares about its customers. Plus, pizza is cheap.
Old May 24, 2011, 8:15 pm

I hope the crew is NOT disciplined
Old May 24, 2011, 9:23 pm

Programs: Diamond medallion, HHonors Diamond,
I'm guessing it was pax or crew. AA is in a no win. If they get some positive pub for ordering pizza for 1 delayed bird, the others who were delayed on other flights who didn't get pizza would be pissed. I can't see a major corporation willing to take the negative hit.
Old May 24, 2011, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I did it for the flight attendants once when LAX-LIH was diverted to SFO for mechanical. We were over two hours out, another 20 minutes and the Big Island would have been the closest landfall. We were in SFO for about 2 hours.

But that was only 4 mini - pizzas.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:50 pm

I was on a flight from ICT to DFW recently that was diverted to AUS because of weather in DFW. After we landed and parked away from the gate the Captain announced that he was ordering Gatti's Pizza for everybody. About 1.5 hours later the pizza showed up delivered by the ground staff and we all got two small slices of cheese pizza.

In my opinion it was well worth whatever AA had to satisfy a plane full of hungry tired passengers.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
A few years ago, I was on an Eagle flight from ORD - CLE and we had a several hour weather related delay and were boarded way too early and had to sit on the plane but still at the gate.

At one point, the captain left the cockpit and walked out of the plane and I was annoyed that he left without telling us anything. I was in seat 1A. He returned 20 minutes later with 50 McDonalds bags. He had some help carrying them back and he handed the bags to me and a few others in the first couple of rows and asked that we each grab one bag and send the rest back.

It was a very classy move that completely relieved the tension of the day. I will never forget that moment.
Old May 25, 2011, 9:59 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by RealFan
He returned 20 minutes later with 50 McDonalds bags. He had some help carrying them back and he handed the bags to me and a few others in the first couple of rows and asked that we each grab one bag and send the rest back.

It was a very classy move that completely relieved the tension of the day. I will never forget that moment.
I'm sure the vegetarians on the flight were thrilled.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern
I'm sure the vegetarians on the flight were thrilled.
Being a vegetarian, I was thinking the exact same thing. But who knows - maybe he found something that didn't used to walk available at McDs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.