Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

738 Fleet Expansion, new aircraft with Boeing Sky Interior (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

738 Fleet Expansion, new aircraft with Boeing Sky Interior (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2011, 6:22 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Wasn't really a criticism, I was mainly questioning their aims. For plane enthusiasts it is obviously interesting news.

But I do think that showboating the mundane could have a negative effect by reminding Mr Average Joe traveller that if he flies DFW ORD tomorrow he could be on a 25 year old MD80.

Whole new fleet tomorrow obviously not. Not letting their fleet get so old in the first place? probably yes
Or he could be on an 11 year old MD80. What exactly is your point?

All the U.S. legacy carriers have average fleet ages around 14, which isn't very old in the first place. And, oh yeah, most European carriers have average fleets around that age, too.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I'm really dismayed at the exaggerations by some about the "old" M80s compared to the average fleet age of other carriers. This is one of my favorite aircraft in the system, its very comfortable and quiet in front, and makes for a better experience in Y and in F.
Old May 25, 2011, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by demkr
I'm really dismayed at the exaggerations by some about the "old" M80s compared to the average fleet age of other carriers. This is one of my favorite aircraft in the system, its very comfortable and quiet in front, and makes for a better experience in Y and in F.
Good point. I find the MD80s to be quite pleasant in F, especially on the E-F side. I also enjoy the lack of engine noise, though it tends to make you notice the wind noise more.
Old May 25, 2011, 7:44 am

Programs: ConciergeKey 4MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LGAoverJFK

Anyway, AA/Boeing just posted a video of the interior to Twitter:
http://twitpic.com/522337
You could really see the glint in her eye as she explained the (relatively remote) positioning of the FA call button, as if to say "now you really have no excuse for EVER summoning me by this means."
Old May 25, 2011, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Good point. I find the MD80s to be quite pleasant in F, especially on the E-F side. I also enjoy the lack of engine noise, though it tends to make you notice the wind noise more.
The new 738 (yes, the one with the BSI interior) is pretty quiet up front and throughout the plane (all the way to the back). In my opinion, it's quieter than the MD80.
Old May 25, 2011, 8:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's where they apply a dab of SuperGlue... (I was wondering if I was reading something into her presentation...)

Originally Posted by OWdevotee
You could really see the glint in her eye as she explained the (relatively remote) positioning of the FA call button, as if to say "now you really have no excuse for EVER summoning me by this means."
Old May 25, 2011, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know what route the new plane will take?
Old May 25, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: Various
Seattle PI article on the delivery of the new AA Sky Interior 738:
Seattle PI AA 738

Nice set of photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/airline...th/5756256199/
Old May 25, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Robt760
Nice set. I wish they showed pictures of the inside of these magical overhead bins (which is, as far as I can tell, the only significant difference from a customer point of view between these and the 737s delivered to date).
Old May 25, 2011, 11:59 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by ashill
Nice set. I wish they showed pictures of the inside of these magical overhead bins (which is, as far as I can tell, the only significant difference from a customer point of view between these and the 737s delivered to date).
One significant item: If you're tall, you will notice that you will now find that when you stand up from from your seat, you will less likely bump your head on the overhead bins (unless one of bin doors is open) It's the same style overhead bin as the 777, although there is somewhat of a height difference in the a/c interior.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL PM & AA Gold and other stuff
Originally Posted by demkr
Couldn't agree more; love the "whisper jet" up front. Love that AA is getting new planes, but I have no problem with the MD80s either.
Old May 25, 2011, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
Do you just want a picture of the inside? Or what? I think I have a good one lying about I can upload.
Old May 25, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA GLD, SPG GLD
Originally Posted by living near shamu
Does anyone know what route the new plane will take?
That'd be nice to know. I'm flying in a 737 on Memorial Day.

I'm also interested to know if the layout is the same as the one depicted here: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame..._737-800_B.php
Old May 25, 2011, 1:41 pm

That'd be nice to know. I'm flying in a 737 on Memorial Day.
I don't know what route it is flying, but I can tell you one thing: it doesn't enter revenue service until June 1st. So, you'll be 1 day too early.
Old May 25, 2011, 2:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'm also interested to know if the layout is the same as the one depicted here: http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Ame..._737-800_B.php
Since AA have said the BSI birds will have 16F/144Y, it seems evident that the configuration will be the one you referenced above. AA aren't likely to introduce a third configuration, nor are they likely to bring in a second 738 configuration that has the exact same number of seats in each cabin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.