Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

738 Fleet Expansion, new aircraft with Boeing Sky Interior (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2011, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium

AA sent out a Tweet a bit ago: http://twitter.com/#!/AmericanAir/st...34516300664832

"Guess what? Our fleet’s growing, and here's a sneak peek! Check in next Monday for more"

We'll find out Monday

=========================MODERATOR NOTE====================

The Boeing 737-823s with the Boeing Sky Interior are being delivered to AA currently, and all new 737s will have the Boeing Sky interior. The first aircraft delivered was N868NN (3HA) in late May/early June 2011.

8/16/11 - CanesLawMarty has posted a brief description of the interior in this POST.

1/24/12 - WChou has posted some snapshots of the interior in this POST.

Link to Boeing information on new Boeing Sky Interior

Link to AA news release on Boeing Sky interior 737 delivery, with links to video and photos.

Link to AA video of FA orientation to 737 Boeing Sky Interior ("BSI").

Link to article describing inaugural delivery.

Link to inaugural Boeing Sky delivery photo gallery

Last edited by dstan; Jan 24, 2012 at 2:36 pm Reason: link to member photos
Old May 20, 2011, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your friend in aviation thinks it's related to 787s? AA ordered its 42 787s years ago, so that's not much of a scoop. AA's first 787 isn't scheduled for delivery until 2014 or so.

My guess is that it's a delivery of a new 738, one of many to be delivered to AA this year. Perhaps AA will decorate it in a special livery.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I just looked at the photo. Narrowbody, 2 window exits, winglets, low to the ground.....gotta be a 738.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Isn't AA suppose to reveal a new B738 interior soon?
Old May 20, 2011, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by UALpremier
Yup, there was a press release that they would release the new interior of the 738 next Monday.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UALpremier
When was the last 738 delivery they took? The new Sky Interiors are available now and it could be this.
Old May 20, 2011, 1:46 pm

Question

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Yup, there was a press release that they would release the new interior of the 738 next Monday.
A link to that please?
Old May 20, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
He had said that the winglet looked big for a 738, but I wouldn't be surprised if thats what it was with the new interiors. Will be nice to see Mon. exciting!
Old May 20, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
A link to that please?
Posted May 19 2011 5:39PM

http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...world/171090/1

...One way American is combating higher fuel costs is by "rapidly replacing older MD-80 aircraft with new Boeing 737s which are 35% more fuel-efficient than the aircraft they are replacing," according to Goren.

At the same time, Goren said American is renovating the interiors of their 757 fleet. The airline will also be unveiling new interiors for the 737s next week in Dallas....
Old May 20, 2011, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by EaglesOhThree
A link to that please?
There was an article mentioning the Sky Interiors in the August issue of American Airlines UpdAAte (PDF).
American Airlines announced an order for 35 additional Next-Generation Boeing 737-800s to be delivered in 2011 and 2012. The 35 newly ordered 737s will be in addition to the 84 new 737s that began entering American’s fleet in April 2009, when the Company launched its replacement plan for its MD80 narrowbody fleet. The 737s are 35 percent more fuel-efficient on a seat-mile basis than the MD80 aircraft that they are replacing, equaling an average savings of 800,000 gallons of fuel per aircraft per year.

<snip>

These aircraft will include the new Boeing Sky Interior along with comfortable and spacious First and Economy Class seats, bigger overhead storage bins, updated inflight entertainment systems, and more AC power ports.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by demkr
He had said that the winglet looked big for a 738, but I wouldn't be surprised if thats what it was with the new interiors. Will be nice to see Mon. exciting!
Sounds like perspective and a camera with very good depth of focus to me -- anything looks enormous if you get close enough! That's clearly a 737; compare the exit windows to the wing. The windows are too comparatively large to be any widebody.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ashill
Sounds like perspective and a camera with very good depth of focus to me -- anything looks enormous if you get close enough! That's clearly a 737; compare the exit windows to the wing. The windows are too comparatively large to be any widebody.

Also, note the relative size of the workers on the ground. They would look much smaller if it were a widebody.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ashill
Moreover, what widebody would AA being showing off. True, there are several 773s coming down the line but I doubt that its. There is no way that AA has an exact delivery date for 787s or any kind or 787 prototype a/c.

I'd like to see 737s with in house on demand movies for each seat (don't care if its pay per view) as long as the selection is decent.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:37 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Moreover, what widebody would AA being showing off. True, there are several 773s coming down the line but I doubt that its. There is no way that AA has an exact delivery date for 787s or any kind or 787 prototype a/c.

I'd like to see 737s with in house on demand movies for each seat (don't care if its pay per view) as long as the selection is decent.
That would be nice, with the new gogo on demand service coming soon, maybe we can order from the seat? I think it's going to be more of a pay service that we can get from our own devices, ie ipad.

Looks like a 738 to me as well.
Old May 20, 2011, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA-PLT/Lifetime
Originally Posted by demkr
AA sent out a Tweet a bit ago: http://twitter.com/#!/AmericanAir/st...34516300664832

"Guess what? Our fleet’s growing, and here's a sneak peek! Check in next Monday for more"

We'll find out Monday
Same picture and a little less of the text that AA put out on Facebook. Kind of surprised the AA lurker didn't put the same thing on FT, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.