USA today - AA to accelerate MD80 replacement

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2011, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Dca bna
dca rdu
Old May 19, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

FLL-PAP As well as ex-SJUs Eagle flights
Old May 19, 2011, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Good, those MD-80s are so loud, and surely must burn a ton of gas.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Is LAX officially an AA hub instead of a focus city now?
Yes, it is. AA seem to use the terms "cornerstone" and "hub" interchangeably, but in a press release announcing a Cooperative Agreement with Air Berlin it was pretty clearly spelled out:

From its Los Angeles hub American serves 31 cities, including four Hawaiian destinations.
Old May 19, 2011, 8:52 pm

Programs: Diamond medallion, HHonors Diamond,
AA is well on it's way to being a boutique airline, serving the exp's who live near a hub.

If you're a biz traveler, you stand a decent shot of being put on an rj if you're not in a major market, if you're a pleasure traveler, you're not going to fly AA because they're more expensive, garbage IFE compared to the competition, and an aging fleet which they can't afford to upgrade.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by The Matador
AA is well on it's way to being a boutique airline, serving the exp's who live near a hub.

If you're a biz traveler, you stand a decent shot of being put on an rj if you're not in a major market, if you're a pleasure traveler, you're not going to fly AA because they're more expensive, garbage IFE compared to the competition, and an aging fleet which they can't afford to upgrade.
Agreed with this, my airports often have AA at double the price of DL.

I don't understand the continual digs on the MD-80s. The airplane can provide an exceptional flexibility to AA. What AA should do is get them out of ORD and run a smaller plane, maybe pick up that subfleet of 717s that Boeing has before Delta does and deploys them against AA.

Oh, and I think the cornerstone strategy is poor. It will lead to AA missing a whole lot of P2P routes that could be profitable. It hasn't worked yet and there is no sign that it will work outside of the shoe-in markets of MIA/DFW.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Of course, AA's cornerstone strategy could also be AA's focus on the cities where most Americans tend to live. Out of the five cornerstones JFK, LAX, ORD, DFW are the top four most populous metropolitan statistical areas in the US. Counting MIA, the five cornerstones make up roughly 17% of the US population, accounting for almost 1 out of 5 Americans' travel needs.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Microwave
Yes, it is. AA seem to use the terms "cornerstone" and "hub" interchangeably, but in a press release announcing a Cooperative Agreement with Air Berlin it was pretty clearly spelled out:
Hmm, thanks for noting that.

Maybe it's the "new routes" from LAX being mostly RJs that puts me off as thinking LAX as an AA hub. If they want LAX to be a hub, they could try at least competing with WN on LAX-SLC/PHX/ABQ/ELP with mainline fleets; I already flew some of them and they get filled up too quickly! Those routes warrant something bigger than an RJ!

Plus, they tend to rely on AS as much to do most of the routes along the West Coast. When AA starts flying their own mainline fleets to PDX/SEA/YVR then I'd consider it to be a true hub. It's good that I can earn EQM on AS on those routes, but still lack of AC access, preferred seating, comp upgrades, hurts when shuttling between LAX and Pac-NW.
Old May 19, 2011, 9:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by kebosabi
Maybe it's the "new routes" from LAX being mostly RJs that puts me off as thinking LAX as an AA hub.
I think in the new AA order, they simply call it a hub because it has more than a handful of flights to non-hubs. It certainly pales in comparison to DFW or ORD, of course.

[/QUOTE]they tend to rely on AS as much to do most of the routes along the West Coast. When AA starts flying their own mainline fleets to PDX/SEA/YVR then I'd consider it to be a true hub. It's good that I can earn EQM on AS on those routes, but still lack of AC access, preferred seating, comp upgrades, hurts when shuttling between LAX and Pac-NW. [/QUOTE]

As an EXP that splits his time between SEA and LHR, I feel the lack of west coast AA flying acutely. I'd give my left kidney for even a few daily CR7s between SEA and LAX... I just don't see it happening though.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:03 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by demkr
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"-Albert Einstein
That and similar quotes have been attributed to Albert Einstein, Benjamin Franklin and an old Chinese proverb. Its first appreance in print, "Insanity is repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results," appears in the Narcotics Anonymous Basic Text, which was copyrighted in 1982 and later published in 1983.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Microwave
Internationally AA is weak from LAX.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Sorry to ask this question, but what is WN?
Old May 19, 2011, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by living near shamu
Sorry to ask this question, but what is WN?
Southwest
Old May 19, 2011, 10:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chanp
Southwest
Thanks!
Old May 19, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by thig
Good, those MD-80s are so loud, and surely must burn a ton of gas.
A few tons actually

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.