Search

25k miles + $350 upgrade & flight cancellation

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2011, 1:37 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
25k miles + $350 upgrade & flight cancellation

an aagent told me today that if you cancel a booking & the upgrade has been processed, you lose the $350 & have to pay the $150 redeposit fee to retain the miles...

should i talk to another aagent?....can anyone confirm?

tia...
Old May 12, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
I haven't had the personal experience on this but everything I've read and been told matches this.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/jba-u...servations.jsp

"If your purchased fare ticket allows refunds, you can also request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage mileage upgrade award. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

When requesting a reinstatement, a $150 USD processing charge will be assessed per account for the first award ticket. Any additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 USD per ticket add-on charge."

Also if you click the "View American Airlines Upgrade Awards Chart" button you'll see this: "Co-Payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable."

Combine both those fine print together and you are out your $350 copay and have to pay $150 to get your 25k miles back, as the agent indicated.

If you can sweet talk an EXP into giving you a SWU (or use one of yours if you have one for your 2+ MM award), those are "refundable" if you cancel, I've had experience there before.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:03 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

thanks for the info....many people don't look at the fine print or understand rare rules, but its a good practice...

Last edited by clacko; May 12, 2011 at 2:08 pm
Old May 12, 2011, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Wow, this really underscores the value of eVIP's for me.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by clacko
an aagent told me today that if you cancel a booking & the upgrade has been processed, you lose the $350 & have to pay the $150 redeposit fee to retain the miles...

tia...
The $350 is clearly labeled as non-refundable, so if you cancel, it is not refunded. I believe you can switch the upgrade to another flight, without paying the fee to get your miles back. Of course, I have never canceled a miles + copay ticket. As noted, I love SWUs for this.
Old May 12, 2011, 2:22 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
The $350 is clearly labeled as non-refundable, so if you cancel, it is not refunded. I believe you can switch the upgrade to another flight, without paying the fee to get your miles back. Of course, I have never canceled a miles + copay ticket. As noted, I love SWUs for this.
thanks....so it also applies to the 15k + $75 for domestic?
Old May 12, 2011, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
thanks....so it also applies to the 15k + $75 for domestic?
Correct. The co-pay is non-refundable. The only difference between these two scenarios is the amounts being charged.
Old May 13, 2011, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EP 4MM, UA 1MM, DL 1MM

tia...
Mrs. Sportsguy had a confirmed upgrade ($350 + 25,000 miles) from PEK-ORD
and had to change her flight to a couple of days earlier. She is now standby for the upgrade and was told the same thing. She's out the $350 and will have to pay $150 to get the 25,000 miles redeposited.
Old May 13, 2011, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An extreme case of money grab - the released upgrade inventory is not gonna go unused, so making this non refundable has no justification (unlike for example normal ticket cancellation where a seat may end up unsold).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.