Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA's future & the Seeking Alpha article

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by sxf24
Using CRJs or ERJs on routes that compete with Southwest or other low cost carriers is financially stupid.
AA gave that up years ago, in fact they've given up markets like AUS-SJC on mainline as well. The problem is they're now flying CRJ's to ORD from AUS. If they drop those they can pretty much forget AUS for many of their international routes, and if they do that from more similar cities there will pretty soon be no AA left. About the only chance they seem to have is to push in exactly the opposite direction and run small, premium services to ORD to connect with the international banks. Changing the ERJ's and CRJ's so all premium and focusing on key markets just might be part of an imaginative move to differentiate themselves, instead of following the herd to oblivion.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bernardd
AA gave that up years ago, in fact they've given up markets like AUS-SJC on mainline as well. The problem is they're now flying CRJ's to ORD from AUS.
Really? I don't fly that route but the current .pdf schedule shows four daily MD-80s now and dummy bookings for July show four daily MD-80s between Austin and Chicago.

Anyway, with two-class CRJs, AA is well-positioned to retain premium connecting traffic at a much cheaper trip cost than MD-80s full of bargain basement leisure traffic.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sxf24
Absolutely. The only appropriate role for sub-50 seat regional jets is in less competitive markets where carriers can obtain a revenue premium. Using CRJs or ERJs on routes that compete with Southwest or other low cost carriers is financially stupid.
I agree that sub-50 seat jets are hard to profitably operate in a $100+ oil environment. However, the key here is "network" revenue. If AA can carry 25 pax on PHX-LAX who are connecting to international or premium transcon service, then AA can carry the other 25 at "Southwest" prices. Then, AA may be able to breakeven (in a network sense) on PHX-LAX.

I agree that if I carry 50 local pax at WN prices, then the flights make no sense whatsoever.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 11:19 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Interesting and educational discussion for someone like me who's less conversant re the issues involved. So far it's mostly focused on the domestic dimensions. Does AA's tightening links with OW, particular BA and IB, affect the calculations here at all? Or are they marginal considerations in view of its slow downward domestic spiral?
With respect to BA and IB, I don't know enough about the particulars of their joint business arrangements to make any specific comments.

However, generally speaking, I worry that over time, the U.S. legacy carriers, encumbered by more costly and inflexible labor contracts, will gradually cede market share to foreign carriers that are able to deliver a higher quality product at a lower price (due primarily to lower labor costs). This is what happened to the U.S. international maritime industry--- for all intents and purposes, it ceased to exist long ago--- that's why virtually all cruises are on foreign-flagged ships. It seems like a reasonable expectation that the same pattern will repeat itself in the international air passenger markets.

If that becomes the case, the best the U.S. legacy carriers can hope for is to enter into revenue sharing arrangements on these international routes, contributing their domestic passengers to connect on the international flights for a piece of the action.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:31 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Really? I don't fly that route but the current .pdf schedule shows four daily MD-80s now and dummy bookings for July show four daily MD-80s between Austin and Chicago.
Sorry, you're right - the last time I went through ORD was December and they were certainly offering CRJ's then, however they seem to have switched back to MD80's.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Anyway, with two-class CRJs, AA is well-positioned to retain premium connecting traffic at a much cheaper trip cost than MD-80s full of bargain basement leisure traffic.
Exactly. One, maybe the only, option for AA given their cost base is to focus on premium traffic to the exclusion of all other, and the CRJ's give them one way to do that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.