Community
Wiki Posts
Search

why is the 757 Y cabin referred to as the "SlAAveship"?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Gold

The 757 seats 166 in coach, whereas the 738 seats 144, so a net difference of only 4 rows in the back of the plane. What makes the 757 so bad in coach?
wouldn't it be better if you're sitting near the front of the 757 Y cabin with easy access to the lavs instead of having to trek to the back?

Can't be length of flight as the 738 does plenty of transcons too...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
I never really got this either, esp. since row 9 and 10 windows have nice legroom and PLTs and EXPs can usually snag them if they don't get upgraded.

I'm guessing it has to do with the number of longer flights these take... the 738s are a more recent development on some of these routes (cough SFO cough)... which lead elites to despise the Y section over Y in the MD80s where they spend less time. Just a thought.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bniu
The 757 seats 166 in coach, whereas the 738 seats 144, so a net difference of only 4 rows in the back of the plane. What makes the 757 so bad in coach?
wouldn't it be better if you're sitting near the front of the 757 Y cabin with easy access to the lavs instead of having to trek to the back?

Can't be length of flight as the 738 does plenty of transcons too...
Let's just say that FA's can be a dramatic bunch (with apologies to our resident AA FA, sluggofa). Seriously, though, it was AA's original decision to not put a forward galley in the Y cabin (when meals were standard in Y) AND staffing these aircraft with only 4 FA's (thereby requiring FA's to push a cart from front to back).

I'm sure there's a nickname for the 738...it started with 132 seats and now has 144 "slimline" seats...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It may be just me but the seat pitch feels smaller on the 757 Y
Old Apr 19, 2011, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Have you flown on one, especially a red-eye? Then you'll know...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.7M and counting slowly
I always put the A300 in that category.. Now that it's gone, I guess the title has been passed to the 757
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
Originally Posted by denCSA
Have you flown on one, especially a red-eye? Then you'll know...
I know . Made EXP through some LAX-BOS red eyes in 2009.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
even in First, the seats are horrible IMO... only row 9 and 10A/B are decent in the back...
plus even if several planes have a 3-3 seating, for some reason, maybe because its so long or something, it just feels like a SlAAveship... hehe
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
For the FAs it is like a slave ship, particularly on the flights to Europe and South America where there is a meal service in Y.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:29 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
hy·per·bo·le   /haɪˈpɜrbəli/
[hahy-pur-buh-lee]

noun Rhetoric .
1. obvious and intentional exaggeration.
2. an extravagant statement or figure of speech not intended to be taken literally, as “to wait an eternity.”
Old Apr 19, 2011, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by bniu
nobody has to trek to the back to use a Y lav on any aircraft, the F lav is available for use by all pax (with the exception of inbound to the US int'l flights).
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, WOH
Originally Posted by demkr
It may be just me but the seat pitch feels smaller on the 757 Y
Do people prefer Y on a 757 to Y on a 763? According to Seatguru you have only 30" on the 763 but 31-32" on the 757 in Y -- just wondering which of these aircrafts people prefer.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
nobody has to trek to the back to use a Y lav on any aircraft, the F lav is available for use by all pax (with the exception of inbound to the US int'l flights).
Where I also remember the press release of a couple of years ago confirming this statement, it is widely no longer practiced. Many, many times the FA will announce (sometimes even the Capt.) that you are to use only the lavs in your ticketed cabin. When that happens (much of the time, IME) the crew directions override the published policy and cabins are *NOT* to be crossed. YMMV.

P.S. Also, I have been uable to find any confirmation of the press release allowing "universal lav access" anywhere on AA.COM recently...
Old Apr 19, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Where I also remember the press release of a couple of years ago confirming this statement, it is widely no longer practiced. Many, many times the FA will announce (sometimes even the Capt.) that you are to use only the lavs in your ticketed cabin. When that happens (much of the time, IME) the crew directions override the published policy and cabins are *NOT* to be crossed.
I was referencing the AA policy. As we all know, crew sometimes like to make up their own rules on the plane, contrary to AA's policies.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 7:22 pm

Personally, I think the term was coined back in the 'good old days' when most of our transcons were on relatively spacious-feeling 763's (2 seats on each side section, ideal for traveling with a companion in coach, and a lot of F seats to UPG into). At that time, being stuck in back in a window seat on a 757 seemed horrible. Now that there are a lot fewer 763's on a lot of the transcon routes (eg, LAX-MIA), and we have to choose between a 757 and a 737 (with 3-3 in back and a lot fewer F seats for UPGs), the 757's aren't looking so bad anymore! And the newly refurbished F cabins are a big improvement over the old F....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.