Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Virgin may get to O'Hare . . . what does this mean for AA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
Virgin may get to O'Hare . . . what does this mean for AA?

http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2...n-america.html

According to this article, a deal between Chicago and Delta might allow VX into O'Hare. I would venture to say that this is bad news for AA, particularly on its SFO-ORD route (which many of you have complained about decreasing capacity). Any thoughts?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
It means a double elite mile promo for SFO/LAX - ORD, just like the one we have for DFW.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:25 pm

Good...I'm going to Chicago in Jan! =)
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Xero
It means a double elite mile promo for SFO/LAX - ORD, just like the one we have for DFW.
You beat me to the punch.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Not much considering ORD service to the west coast stinks to high heaven to begin with.

The fares on this route are extremely high considering the AA/UA/WN competition. Add a 4th in there, and the only benefit will be a lower fare.

UA will probably be able to handle the competition much easier than AA based on the fact that they have hubs in both destinations, and have a more desirable Y cabin and several widebody planes. AA has cut a lot of capacity on this route in the past, but perhaps it will get them to add a 7th frequency to SFO? who knows. time will tell.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by UALpremier
http://chicagobreakingbusiness.com/2...n-america.html

According to this article, a deal between Chicago and Delta might allow VX into O'Hare. I would venture to say that this is bad news for AA, particularly on its SFO-ORD route (which many of you have complained about decreasing capacity). Any thoughts?
Other than lower fares and bonus miles (as others have suggested) it will just mean AA reductions, eventually. Where LCC show up, AA eliminates or cuts back, eventually. They may have already done this on ORD-SFO (no more wide bodies). VX just placed a large order for A320 and NEO's. AA is ripe to go after as they do not respond (respond= level of ammenities, space, fares, ect) so look for a lot more VX flights on the same routes as AA.

DL also likes going after AA.
LGA-ORD
BOS-LHR
MIA-LHR
BOS-CDG
LAX-SYD (AA code shares)

This is a unique new for DL to go after AA and make money (rent) without a flight/yield risk, and have someone else go after AA in a market DL does not service. The old DL vacant L gates are right next to AA (AA uses some of L). Maybe VX will open up the old DL club for F passengers.

Last edited by zman; Feb 10, 2011 at 4:27 pm
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
The thing is-I am sure Delta will be happy to immediately hand these gates over to VX. They have no problem having the highest # of fortress hubs of any US carrier (currently).

Yet, UA and AA share a market, but DL is happy to let the competition in because it would hurt the legacies. If only they were so open about it at MSP, DTW, and ATL.

I do agree with Premier that it could hurt AA more so than UA. UA is able to compensate with E+, "the largest aircrafts", and the # of frequencies.

the StAAgnancy mentality over here, however, will be to do a bonus for a month, maybe add a test frequency or two (very welcome), reboost capacity. But there's never any marketing that they can successfully do that would differentiate them.

The average kettle, if VX entered in, would have the following choices:
would be able to choose from:
Free bags at WN, wifi/AVOD at VX, frequencies and big planes, E+ At UA, or 3-3 seating on AA with F almost selling out months before departure. Which would you choose as a kettle or even low-tier/high-tier elite?

Instead of differentiating or improving the product, they throw a bone and then forget about it. DBEQM is great for us FFers, but it's not a long term solution to trying to get a leg up the competition.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
The bear will dance.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:44 pm

Programs: EXP,EX-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
I'm wondering why people think they will increase frequencies into ORD...past experience (SFO SNA) shows that when VX starts competing on a route, AA runs for the hills.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:47 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

If AA dropped ORD-SFO (they won't) then ORD is basically not a hub anymore if they can't support that route
Old Feb 10, 2011, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demkr
DBEQM is great for us FFers, but it's not a long term solution to trying to get a leg up the competition.
Right, no fun being EXP on a defunct airline.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
The thing is-I am sure Delta will be happy to immediately hand these gates over to VX. They have no problem having the highest # of fortress hubs of any US carrier (currently).

Yet, UA and AA share a market, but DL is happy to let the competition in because it would hurt the legacies. If only they were so open about it at MSP, DTW, and ATL.

I do agree with Premier that it could hurt AA more so than UA. UA is able to compensate with E+, "the largest aircrafts", and the # of frequencies.

the StAAgnancy mentality over here, however, will be to do a bonus for a month, maybe add a test frequency or two (very welcome), reboost capacity. But there's never any marketing that they can successfully do that would differentiate them.

The average kettle, if VX entered in, would have the following choices:
would be able to choose from:
Free bags at WN, wifi/AVOD at VX, frequencies and big planes, E+ At UA, or 3-3 seating on AA with F almost selling out months before departure. Which would you choose as a kettle or even low-tier/high-tier elite?

Instead of differentiating or improving the product, they throw a bone and then forget about it. DBEQM is great for us FFers, but it's not a long term solution to trying to get a leg up the competition.
So we just discount GoGo and concede a market that hasn't even been started by VX yet? I understand you are upset about the reduction at AA. Everyone here does. But is there any chance we can steer away from turning yet another thread into the injustices AA has caused the Bay Area? Please?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:03 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The thread is in response to VX starting at ohare possibly ord-lax/sfo asnd I'm responding to someone who asked about it. I don't see why the subject should be off limits at all times when its relevant.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JNB280
So we just discount GoGo and concede a market that hasn't even been started by VX yet? I understand you are upset about the reduction at AA. Everyone here does. But is there any chance we can steer away from turning yet another thread into the injustices AA has caused the Bay Area? Please?
Well I think the angst is about the trend . . .
Old Feb 10, 2011, 4:10 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JNB280
But is there any chance we can steer away from turning yet another thread into the injustices AA has caused the Bay Area? Please?
Depends upon who's posting. In the current case, probably no way to avoid it in this, or any other, thread

(By the way, they close the AC and SJC and have really cut back the flights. I'm outraged )

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.