Search

777 Service between DFW and ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat
777 Service between DFW and ORD

Long time lurker, first time poster ...

I am one of the many that enjoy the 777 service between DFW and ORD ... I was on 2347 yesterday evening and the FA's were handing out notes saying that the 777 service between DFW and ORD is going away starting April. I tried making a booking for April and 2347 is no longer an option.

The FA's were asking all the regulars to write to Gerard Arpey asking him to continue flying the 777 between DFW and ORD.

I am planning to write in since I use this extensively ... if there are others who want to writein, please do.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
Originally Posted by gblah

I am one of the many that enjoy the 777 service between DFW and ORD ... I was on 2347 yesterday evening and the FA's were handing out notes saying that the 777 service between DFW and ORD is going away starting April. I tried making a booking for April and 2347 is no longer an option.

The FA's were asking all the regulars to write to Gerard Arpey asking him to continue flying the 777 between DFW and ORD.

I am planning to write in since I use this extensively ... if there are others who want to writein, please do.

Yeah its sad to see it go after so long 66/86/2350 over the years. That 777 is supposedly going to 299/1520 MIA-LAX-MIA in April.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
One major reason those FAs are so worried about it is that there are part of the few but proud dedicated domestic 772 crews of FAs. (the vast majority of 772 crews are international, of course)

As we all know, the domestic flights on 772s have been dwindling rapidly. We're pretty much down to a JFK-MIA-JFK turn, ORD-DFW-ORD, and LAX-MIA-LAX. (Used to be a DFW-MIA and some other stuff IIRC.)

If DFW-ORD goes away or moves to LAX-MIA, those DFW-based domestic 772 FAs might have to start flying other aircraft regularly. There is particular concern that some of them might have to start flying the 757, which makes them shudder after the 772. The 772 is by far the most popular aircraft for FAs, hence why it is so senior and why the crews are so desperate to hang onto their domestic routes.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, and before you ask, NO, those FAs could not fly the 763s to Hawaii. Hawaii is flown by International crews, in this case, IDF-based.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I've been on this route/plane many times. I don't mind seeing it go, so as long as the 772 is utilized in other ways, as in maybe a new route (dfw-syd) or something new int'l. It's such a short flight. IIRC this plane goes onto LHR after arriving at ORD. Now, if they are just flying it to ORD and parking it for many hrs before LHR, then I would say keep it on that DFW-ORD route.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
I've been on this route/plane many times. I don't mind seeing it go, so as long as the 772 is utilized in other ways, as in maybe a new route (dfw-syd) or something new int'l. It's such a short flight. IIRC this plane goes onto LHR after arriving at ORD. Now, if they are just flying it to ORD and parking it for many hrs before LHR, then I would say keep it on that DFW-ORD route.

AFAIK, the current purpose of DFW-ORD is a combination of repositioning and spare equipment availability. Sometimes, the bird is scheduled to fly on from ORD to LHR. Other times, it is sent as a spare in case a scheduled ORD plane goes MX. Other times, the bird stays at DFW when a scheduled 772 flight from DFW goes MX, and they swap it out for a 757 to go up to ORD.

So, the 772 has at least three different purposes. IMHO, those purposes are important. International flights have a lot of revenue at stake, and dispatching them is a priority for AA. Having a spare 772 floating between DFW and ORD, both of which have multiple 772 departures each day, is a very GOOD thing.

So, I would keep the flight. But then again, I don't work for AA Revenue Management, as much as I might find the job fun (for a while, anyhow).
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver

Frankly that's a little unprofessional.

Sure we all love flying widebodies domestically (one of my best flights ever on AA was in J on LAX-MIA) but DFW-ORD is a terrible use of such a plane.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
One of the reasons the crews like this route is it is scheduled as a pure "turn". They don't have to fly anywhere else. They show up at DFW around lunchtime, fly to ORD, fly back to DFW and sleep in their beds.

It's been a close group of the same senior folks flying this route for years and they know many of us who are regulars on that routing. Some of them do it M-F just like a normal "day job". The thought of actually having to fly to other cities and overnight and such definitely interferes with the lifestyles they have set up around having such a consistent routine for years.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
I wouldn't be too happy if my employees lobbied my customers to reverse a decision that I had made.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: AA LFT. PLAT
Originally Posted by techgirl
One of the reasons the crews like this route is it is scheduled as a pure "turn". They don't have to fly anywhere else. They show up at DFW around lunchtime, fly to ORD, fly back to DFW and sleep in their beds.

It's been a close group of the same senior folks flying this route for years and they know many of us who are regulars on that routing. Some of them do it M-F just like a normal "day job". The thought of actually having to fly to other cities and overnight and such definitely interferes with the lifestyles they have set up around having such a consistent routine for years.

The purser in F a week ago told me the same thing. She said she just gets to the airport 60 minutes before we board. Also she said if the equipment is scheduled to go back to DFW the crew sometimes would stay on the plane. How many FA's are on those flights I know there are some who deadhead but help out somewhat.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Oh, and before you ask, NO, those FAs could not fly the 763s to Hawaii. Hawaii is flown by International crews, in this case, IDF-based.
What about the transcon 762's? Are those not a viable alternative?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warreng24
A little difficult for DFW-based crew.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warreng24

Nope, not if you're DFW-based. It would involve switching to the JFK or LAX bases, both of which are quite senior. LAX is a much smaller base with seldom any openings.

Furthermore, as techgirl says, most of the DFW-based 772 FAs who fly DFW-ORD-DFW are accustomed to a simple daytime turn, back home by early evening. They would not like to have to either reposition to JFK or LAX to work their flights, much less move to either city.

The last time I flew the route, our Purser was a wonderful lady who talked with me about getting to spend lots of time with her grandchildren since she could fly the DFW-ORD-DFW route. She was incredibly senior (something like 39 years).

I asked why she doesn't fly long-haul international so that she could work fewer days per month. She said that she would never consider international, even thought she would have her pick of routes, because she likes to sleep in her own bed and she'd rather work several days a week so she can be home each night.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by ESpen36
IDF? You don't mean Israel Defense Forces? I assure you if the AA FAs were trained by the real IDF we wouldn't have any of the problems we do now.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond

Originally Posted by sts603
Frankly that's a little unprofessional.

Sure we all love flying widebodies domestically (one of my best flights ever on AA was in J on LAX-MIA) but DFW-ORD is a terrible use of such a plane.
Agreed it's unprofessional. Sure we'd like to have 772 on DFW-ORD-DFW (and other routes) but I'm certainly not going to write to AA with special regard for the FAs and their domestic bid sheets. Fortunately I took this flight in 2007 and enjoyed seat 1J for a ~2hr flight ^. Doesn't really affect me that its gone now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.