Wiki Posts
Search

Bravo! FA boots invaders from Y

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by gemac
Or a moat with hungry crocs.
I don't think crocs are appropriate footwear on a plane.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
Who would you have bought the beer for? The 17 year old or the 14 year old?
Obviously for the girl (if she was cute).
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hotelmotel
Me too, although I thought it was going to be an F/J passenger who came back to Y to chat with family or friends, but was told by the FA that he was not in his properly ticketed cabin.
Exactly what I thought as soon as I saw the title.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:43 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Whenever I flew solo or with my borther as a kid, I would try this, but it never worked. Then I smartened up and changed my tactic (chatted up the FAs for a while then commenting on how I noticed a lot of open space in business class, don't care about food or what not, it would just be nice to sleep on a TATL when I only have a few days at my destination considering my height [6'3"] would be difficult in Y). The first time I did it, it worked! Since then, probably closer to 2/40 times...still not bad imo.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, VIP AAdvantage Dining
Originally Posted by Blumie
Bravo for the attempt. I would've brought them each a beer for the effort (although I'm sure I would've been annoyed if it were successful).
Maybe a Root Beer, considering their ages.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 11:50 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, VIP AAdvantage Dining
Originally Posted by brp
Let's be at least a little realistic here. First off, I don't agree with what they did.

With that said, if they just sit in the seats and don't consume anything, there is absolutely no cost to AA. Plane is in the air, so they can't sell the seats. And there is no consumable cost.

So, yeah, it's wrong. But it's nothing like shoplifting or dine & dash. Not even close.

Cheers.
+1
Especially since Purser sometimes upgrades friends or family once the door closes. Or what about all of the other shady upgrades some GA's or FA's are known to have given out. They'd be just as criminally responsible as a Dine & Dasher, since they don't own AA and have no 'right' to be giving out those seats.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Or a moat with hungry crocs.
how about snakes?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
how about snakes?
On a plane?
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
Beer for minors and other oddities

First, I've bought beer and other alcoholic drinks for teenagers literally dozens of times - no big deal*. What the Queen of Coach thinks doesn't worry me in the least - I'm out of her jurisdiction. I'm more concerned about what the Earl of Business or the Duke of First would say. More my territory

Secondly, the whole beer issue actually arose as a comedic aside relating to a now-deleted thread which had raised my ire at the ilk of some other posters relating to conditions at the MIA AC where I offered to buy the 'offending' posters a Presidente (see vasantn's link in post #8 as proof that such a thread really existed at one time). What they didn't know was that I was planning on breaking the bottle of beer over their heads had they taken me up on the offer. I've since calmed down and regained my senses, and rather than wasting a good Presidente or two, would be MORE than willing to buy them a Miller Lite or Budweiser at the nearest Admirals Club. The offer stands...

Regarding the interlopers there is a bit more to the story. When the two offenders boarded (and its my guess they were 17 and 14, may have been 22 and 18, I didn't ask for IDs), the boy sat down in 3B (738 bulkhead) and I don't recall what the girl was up to. An older gentleman then boarded and he and the boy say a few words in a conversational manner and the boy got up went into the back and the older gentleman and lady sat down in 3A and 3B. At the time I would have guessed if asked that they were their parents but who knows, maybe the kid was bold enough to think he could grab a seat upfront even before boarding was halfway done.

After takeoff and climb, seatbelt light goes out and the two 'young adults' dart up front. Boy tosses backpack into 5E and sits down in 5F. Girl goes to bathroom (a FURTHER offense!) and is in there for at least 10 minutes - the FA was going to knock but she finally came out. She then sits down next to boy. Neither says anything to couple in 3A/B. Ten or so minutes go by with one FA walking back and forth saying nothing. 1st class FA then notices and has words with them. Boy puts up brave front, girl just sits there. FA gets a bit more strident and they split. Couple in 3A/B never turn around or get involved. I only noticed all this because F was basically empty and they were sitting across from me.

*There was a time when the drinking age was 18, and in certain northern Wisconsin taverns you could get a beer as long as you were old and/or not inebriated enough to ask for one. And I also benefited from being 6' 4" and fully whiskered at a relatively young age and so became undeservingly popular with some in my high school class. Boones Farm Strawberry Hill, anyone? Cheers.

Last edited by masonp123; Jan 11, 2011 at 9:07 pm
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by mvoight
IMHO, this is a criminal act, like eating at a restaurant and not paying.
You are correct. It's called Theft of Services and is prosecuted (a least here in New York) like Larceny depending on the value.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Agreed. Hilarious.

Originally Posted by mikelat
Great post JNB280!
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Landing Gear
You are correct. It's called Theft of Services and is prosecuted (a least here in New York) like Larceny depending on the value.
Wrong. At worst it's attempted theft of services, because they didn't actually succeed in thieving any services.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rjw242
Wrong. At worst it's attempted theft of services, because they didn't actually succeed in thieving any services.
I unsuccessfully try to thieve services every Monday and Thursday...they're call upgrades
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
For anybody wondering about the references, here is the Seinfeld video. The FA handled it well. It seems like what is stealing is hard to determine in certain industries. Software piracy is another example of this. But I think a FA sending the person back to their ticketed cabin is the best solution:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NienKmtknI

Last edited by Xero; Jan 12, 2011 at 4:30 pm
Old Jan 11, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US
I often remember my times as a ten to fourteen year-old traveling back and forth from PHL to HOU on bi-annual visits to see my father. This was in the early to mid eighties and I often changed my seats (as an unaccompanied minor) back to the smoking section so I could enjoy a few smokes on the 4 hour flight. On about half of those flights, I was upgraded to F by chatting up the FAs in the back during takeoff. Of course, they never served me drinks but I got pretty good at sneaking a mini or two as the cart went by. Thanks CO! On my last flight at the age of 14 I joined the MHC and smoked my first joint, also at over a mile high but not with an FA. Actually it was with a female truancy officer... go figure.

It's no wonder I still love flying as it was instrumental in my growth as an adolescent

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.