Wiki Posts
Search

Unable to ShareAAmiles into my account using my credit card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Unable to ShareAAmiles into my account using my credit card

I want to "share" my son's miles into my account, but having tried two credit cards, I get the error:
Sorry, but we could not verify your credit card information. Please re-enter your credit card information and try again.
I called AAdvantage Customer Service, who told me that the transfer must be paid for using a card in the name of the person sharing the miles.

Has anyone else had this problem? I successfully paid to share miles into my account from a friend two years ago. Has anything changed?
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by nbevan
I called AAdvantage Customer Service, who told me that the transfer must be paid for using a card in the name of the person sharing the miles.

Has anyone else had this problem? I successfully paid to share miles into my account from a friend two years ago. Has anything changed?
My dad recently shared miles w/me, using my credit card. There was no problem, even tho we don't have the same last name.
Old Dec 31, 2010, 11:29 am
Original Poster

My credit card company has told me that (despite the error message that I received) they had approved the payment to AAdvantage (though there is no guarantee that AAdvantage will process it).

All very strange!
Old Dec 31, 2010, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 MM, HHonors Diamond
I shared (stole?) some miles from my husband's account into my account using my own credit card. I've done this several times and never had a problem.
Old Jan 1, 2011, 12:22 am
Original Poster

So it seems that Share Miles (and probably Buy Miles) is currently broken (at least for UK credit cards). I also tried using my son's credit card, but that did not work either, so as others have said, the Customer Service claim that the names must be the same is not the problem.

I next emailed Customer Service. One interesting link that they pointed me to is Transaction Search, which showed that all my attempted purchases had been cancelled!

In the end, as I was an EXP they completed the transaction manually over the phone. No bonus miles, but I did not have to pay the $30 transaction fee which is charged by Points.com.

My major concern was to get the miles transferred while they still count towards lifetime status, given the general expectation of a forthcoming change in the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.