Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Expiring 2010 e VIP / SWU Work After 28 Feb 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:48 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Will Expiring 2010 e VIP / SWU Work After 28 Feb 2011?

I have not seen this thread yet, I may have missed it.

In past few years AA has allowed EVIPs to be used for travel afer 2/28 if booked before expiration.

Has anyone had any experience this year?

THANKS
Old Dec 27, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; UA 1K, AS 75K, LT Titanium, Globalist
Was able to book 2 open C seats post 2/28 to PVG using 2011 EVIPs. This may be due to a few factors:

1. inventory was available so it was processed pre 2/28 (In my past experience it gets real difficult if travel is after 2/28 and there is no C inventory open before 2/28, almost impossible if today>2/28 and travel>2/28 and there is no inventory.)
2. I didn't really have a choice between 2011 or 2012 as my status renewal hasn't yet processed (they may theoretically feel less bad about it if you have both 2010 and 2011 unused SWUs in your account)
3. It's still 2010 and they may not have yet had a policy/belt-tightening deluge of requests that force CS managers to make strict policies and enforcements of such

Edit: corrected 2010 SWUs as 2011 expiring SWUs

Last edited by ihdihd; Dec 27, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:55 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I had both 2010 and 2011 evips and they pulled march 2011 travel from the 2010.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 2.3 MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold, recovering UA Premier
A couple of months ago, I booked an international ticket departing in late February and returning the first or second weekend of March. Without asking, they pulled my last two SWUs from the set expiring 2/28/11. I'd renewed EXP and crossed the 2MM level, so I had some SWUs expiring in 2012 that were available.

(I can't remember exact dates because I'm trying to cancel the trip. Since the TSA shows no sign of respecting the privacy of my clothing, I'd rather not make the trip. Had Smurf hands down my pants a few weeks ago, and I'd like to avoid the experience in the future, even if it means falling back to my lifetime Platinum status.)
Old Dec 28, 2010, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Generally, if you have March 2011 travel booked before 3/1 you can use SWUs expiring 2/28/2011. If the EXP TA says no, thank her/him, and call back.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Generally, if you have March 2011 travel booked before 3/1 you can use SWUs expiring 2/28/2011. If the EXP TA says no, thank her/him, and call back.
In previous years, this has been handled via an internal policy adjustment that is not published in any public rules around eVIP usage. As such, it can't be relied upon from year to year.

That said, I think the advice to make such requests now before we get to the February rush to burn expiring eVIPs is wise. Right now the agents may be operating in a "limbo" period before an official communication has been made that may result in stricter application of the official rules around their expiration.

I also agree w/ newyorkgeorge in trying a different agent though.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I'm not EXP and haven't used AA SWUs before, but with every other instrument I have used that has an expiration date (vouchers, unused revenue tickets, changed award tickets) it has to be redeemed by a certain date (as in reservation made), not actually used by that date. Not sure if this would apply to these instruments as well.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by JumboD
I'm not EXP and haven't used AA SWUs before, but with every other instrument I have used that has an expiration date (vouchers, unused revenue tickets, changed award tickets) it has to be redeemed by a certain date (as in reservation made), not actually used by that date. Not sure if this would apply to these instruments as well.
We've been given "extensions" on eVIPs in the past.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 6:12 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
E-VIPs-SWU 2/11 Extension

I have tried to waitlist a friend for a March flight using a 2/11 expiring E-VIP and was declined by Res Agents.. I followed the old Frequent Flyer Adage and tried again later and was also declined.

Has anybody managed with either a Confirmed Upgrade after 1 March using 2/11 E-VIPs, or maybe the unwritten rules have now been abolished.

Last edited by UncleDude; Dec 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
I have been able to use 4 expiring EVIPs on future reservations (one for myself, and one for a companion).
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:37 am
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
It has been discussed over on TB that there is criteria attached to the extension policy whereby some customers (presumably with a higher value rating) will be given extensions on current year eVIPs, and others will not be.

This criteria, also presumably, is relatively visible to EXP agents, hence why some people may be experiencing a consistent "No" response while others are having their upgrades extended without question.

YMMV.

Link.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:35 am
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I think there are 2 separate questions. One is can you use a VIP for a confirmable reservation after March 1. That may depend on how the VIP is pulled. I was told it is pulled automatically.
The other question is can you waitlist a VIP for March 1 or later and that seems to get a no.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
This has been discussed in the main SWU/VIP thread, iirc. The way I believe it will work (this time - sometimes AA does not allow this): The 28 Feb 2011 expiring SWUs will be allowed to remain valid, as long as they have been encumbered to flights occurring after the drop-dead date.

So, you must luck out or use the various tools at our disposal (KVS, ExpertFlyer, telephone, etc.) to find flights with the appropriate class available, book the flights and encumber the SWUs for them (on at least one segment - the remainder may then be waitlisted).

As I understand it, if one does this and later makes changes, the SWU is lost. And no, one can not waitlist an expiring SWU for a flight on or after 1 March 2011 with no segments upgraded.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 30, 2010 at 11:02 pm Reason: edited in VickiSoCal's info
Old Dec 30, 2010, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Note that if at least one segment is avialble now, you cna waitlist the remaining segments, but if you don't get them you can't get the SWU back.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Good point - I will add that to my post. ^

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Note that if at least one segment is avialble now, you cna waitlist the remaining segments, but if you don't get them you can't get the SWU back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.