Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will Expiring 2010 e VIP / SWU Work After 28 Feb 2011?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 8:31 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I asked the agent I wanted to use the ones expiring first. and no problem.

Originally Posted by Maltese Flier
Did you bring it up with the agent, or did the system automatically use the ones that will expire first?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 9:33 pm

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aktchi
In at least one instance I can personally conform, AA agents told the EXP caller that EXPs would be allowed such use (apply before expiration to flights after) for their own travel, but not for someone else's. Just one data point, from last year at that, and no more.
This sounds similar to what happened to me. I called to upgrade some travel in March 2011 with two SWU's expiring 2/28/11 and at first the agent said 'no can do' because I didn't requalify for EXP. I said I was simply waiting for the RDU bonus miles to post. She looked at my history and then changed her mind. Confirmed the upgrades within a minute.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 9:25 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
After ticketing when do the upgrades being pulled show up on aa.com?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:10 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by alhcfp
After ticketing when do the upgrades being pulled show up on aa.com?
In my experience SWU are pulled 1 to 2 days later.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 10:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I redeemed 8 of them over Wednesday and Thursday, and looking at my account today (Sunday) they're all gone, so certainly within a couple day window.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 6:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Are chances good?

Hi,

Due to my the many missed eVIPs last year due to the more restrictive control, I missed out a few times on using my eVIPs. I plan to book a couple of trips to finish up all my leftover eVIPs and was just wondering how is it looking this year for flights in the H1 2011 timeframe for upgrades? I mainly prefer to use them for international segments [BRU/FRA/LHR-XXX], so if there are some indication of the window so far from those already succeeded in getting them used, am looking forward to hear about it.

Thanks.

Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, Priority Club Gold
Just depends

I called yesterday to check on using SWUs for myself and travel companion on a JFK-CDG flight for Feb where all business class seats are open and was told I would be waitlisted.

From my Dec2010 flight JFK-ZRH the SWU cleared about a week before departure, so I guess it just depends when they decide to give up on selling the seat and decide to start clearing upgrades.

Good luck!
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:39 am

Programs: *G, SPG, OW Sapphire
Originally Posted by getmarshall
I called yesterday to check on using SWUs for myself and travel companion on a JFK-CDG flight for Feb where all business class seats are open and was told I would be waitlisted.

From my Dec2010 flight JFK-ZRH the SWU cleared about a week before departure, so I guess it just depends when they decide to give up on selling the seat and decide to start clearing upgrades.

Good luck!
You got it...some are available months out when purchasing a ticket, some don't clear until you get to the airport, it all depends.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 7:40 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I was able to use my last uncommitted expiring eVIP for a confirmed UG in March, so am happy.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3MM, CO Gold, Delta Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, PC Gold, HZ Pres Cir
I went throught this recently. Trip made 3/10/10 (for 2), trip booked 12/20/09. VIPs expiring 2/28.

2 were "pulled" pre expiration, worked fine. other 2 waitlisted and were pulled the day of.

Was upgraded on these "after" expiration, but got back to find my VIP balance was negative.

Luckily, I had documented conversations saying they woudl work, and I got those 2 "negatives" put back in, but it was not a fun process.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
UK not extending SWUs

I called the UK EXP desk asking to use my 2010 SWUs for a reservation after February that has C availability, but was immediately told that SWUs could not be extended this year.

So I called the US, who immediately said there would be no problem. ^

But they were unable to take payment for the extra tax using a credit card with a UK billing address. No problem, as they processed the upgrade anyway, and I can use the UK desk to pay. (But strange, since I think I have purchased in dollars on aa.com with no problem.)

I wonder whether this is a difference in policy in the UK, or poor briefing of this particular UK agent?
Old Jan 12, 2011, 1:31 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nbevan

I wonder whether this is a difference in policy in the UK, or poor briefing of this particular UK agent?
It seems that the UK agent was following the rules, and the US agent was making an exception. Everything I've read to date says that the "official" policy is that they are not extended this year. But, of course, copious amounts of exceptions are being made.

Cheers.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by brp
It seems that the UK agent was following the rules, and the US agent was making an exception. Everything I've read to date says that the "official" policy is that they are not extended this year. But, of course, copious amounts of exceptions are being made.
My assumption is that I passed these criteria with the US agent:

Originally Posted by RChavez
It has been discussed over on TB that there is criteria attached to the extension policy whereby some customers (presumably with a higher value rating) will be given extensions on current year eVIPs, and others will not be.

This criteria, also presumably, is relatively visible to EXP agents, hence why some people may be experiencing a consistent "No" response while others are having their upgrades extended without question.

YMMV.

Link.
but for some reason not with the UK agent.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:20 pm

AA VIP question

I have a question on VIP upgrade, please help.

I was able to apply a AA VIP (exp 2/28/2011)
to confirm an upgrade in July 2011.

If I need to change the travel date on my trip in March,
will I lose the upgrade ? (since by then the VIP
already expired)
Old Jan 13, 2011, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Yes appears to be the current thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.