Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Car & Hotel Awards - Elite Benefits and Questions...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2010, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Car & Hotel Awards - Elite Benefits and Questions...

Like many, I have always avoided non-air redemption of AAdvantage miles because of the absurdly punitive exchange rates. I don't have so many miles that it doesn't matter and now have two kids (amazing how traveling with four eats into your stash).

Anyway, I have been thinking about trying to arrange a quick getaway for some time in Q1 to a snow destination. Surfing the AAdvantage site, I came across the Car and Hotel award section. Long story short - I was blown away by the attractiveness of mileage redemption.

I'm looking specifically at the Mt. Tremblant area in Quebec (quick flight from DCA with little ones, somewhat foreign feeling, cute village, not terrible skiing). For anywhere between 12K and 25K miles/night, we can stay in a $350-$500/night condo/room/suite. What pushes it over the edge is that lift tickets are included with most of the properties (they are $75/pp/pd).

I am PLT and my mileage redemption rate apparently reflects a 20% discount as an elite benefit. A buddy is GLD and his shows 10%. Anyone know if EXP gets 30%?

Also - I searched similar functionality on the Mileage Plus site. They have what appears to be the identical engine but the redemption rates are 50-100% higher. I no longer have status on UAL (although I do on CO - we'll see what happens) - but even if I factored in the discount, the price on UA is dramatically higher.

Anyone experience something similar? Any "gotcha" issues I should no about?

Seems like a good way from me to take a nice little escape with virtually no cash out of pocket.

Thanks.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:37 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, since this is less than 2 years old, it's worth a bump.

I know that the taxes and such are additional for the car rental. and the folks at the AA redemptions desk said that the taxes are the same as what would be paid for a normal rental. Is this the experience that folks have in using miles for car redemptions? The taxes are a bit high for where we will be renting (Marseilles/MRS), but they are what they are and we have to pay them anyway. If the taxes via a mileage rental are the same as for a cash rental, we'll save the cost of the rental itself.

Any experiences welcome.

Cheers.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Well, I have used them a few times and have found it to - occasionally - be a spectacular redemption opportunity. I cashed in for a week long, two room vacation - including food and drink - at the Marriott at Los Suenos in Costa Rica. On a value per mile basis, it was among the top redemptions I've ever pulled off.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 9:17 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks!

Searching "cars" instead of just "car" found this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

One of the good point made there for car rentals is that using miles for the rental and a CC for the taxes only would almost undoubtedly invalidate the CC-provided coverage. As a result, one might want to get the coverage. After adding in all of that, the savings may not be that much. Probably not a good deal for renting abroad- something I might be more likely to do in the US.

Hotels are a different story

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.