Search

Met an 8M Mile EXP on a WN flight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:16 pm
BLG
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Met an 8M Mile EXP on a WN flight

A couple of days ago I was flying AUS-PHX on WN. The guy in front of me in the A line had a sliver EXP tag on his carryon that said 8M Miles. So I got to talking to him. He also had over 100 segments on WN this year. He said he was nearing 9M and was hoping to get to 10M, but wasn't sure he'd make it. One interesting thing he mentioned was that he got 1M in one year when there was a three for one promotion going on and he had over 300K BIS miles -- I didn't remember that one -- maybe before my time. He was a really nice guy. I have no idea what he did, but he certainly flew a lot!
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
EXP tags are black. PLTs are silver.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
I met a guy with a 14MM EXP tag back in 2004, JFK-NRT. He was in F and I was in J, but we sat together on the hotel shuttle. Very interesting older (and apparently extremely wealthy) gentleman who went around the world finding start-up companies to invest in.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:01 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by BLG
A one year when there was a three for one promotion going on
The "3 for 1" was offered post strike, IIRC. Elite bonus (calculated a bit differently) was added on top of it.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:04 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by vasantn
He was in F and I was in J, but we sat together on the hotel shuttle.
No F on the hotel shuttle?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by dayone
No F on the hotel shuttle?
No, he had to mingle with the riffraff (me). Actually there we were the only pax on the shuttle, along with a handful of cabin crew members who seemed to know this guy very well. IIRC, he had owned a string of Spanish-language radio stations which he sold for a huge amount of money.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 2:49 pm
BLG
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
You're right of course. Black. A slip of the tongue. Probably because my own is regrettably only silver right now. I also learned that when you hit 100 segments on WN you get free companion tickets. Didn't know about that one. Anyhow, I haven't met that many folks with over 8M. Maybe I'm easily impressed. :-)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by BLG
... I also learned that when you hit 100 segments on WN you get free companion tickets...
Just to clarify, the free companion pass on WN is triggered by the earning of 100 credits (which can be from any source), rather than the flying of 100 segments.
Old Dec 5, 2010, 8:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by BLG
A couple of days ago I was flying AUS-PHX on WN. The guy in front of me in the A line had a sliver EXP tag on his carryon that said 8M Miles. So I got to talking to him. He also had over 100 segments on WN this year. He said he was nearing 9M and was hoping to get to 10M, but wasn't sure he'd make it. One interesting thing he mentioned was that he got 1M in one year when there was a three for one promotion going on and he had over 300K BIS miles -- I didn't remember that one -- maybe before my time. He was a really nice guy. I have no idea what he did, but he certainly flew a lot!
WHY?
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
I met a 4M EXP on my way from LGA to DFW.. Unfortunately he was on Economy Middle seat confused:..

AA should do something to keep their EXPs away from Middle seats . ( atleast try)
Old Dec 5, 2010, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Maybe he was a current EXP and had an old 8MM PLT tag on his bag.
I have a small bag that I had my laptop in a week or so ago. It has an old 1MM PLT tag on it (I will hit 3MM next year and have been EXP I am about to make EXP for the third year in a row.... Of course 200K+ miles are on from 50K+ of BIS in RDU bonus flying over a 1 1/2 month period. I was on a WN flight from SJC-SNA yesterday, due to the AA cutbacks in the SF Bay Area, especially at SJC.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy
I met a 4M EXP on my way from LGA to DFW.. Unfortunately he was on Economy Middle seat confused:..

AA should do something to keep their EXPs away from Middle seats . ( atleast try)
AA's seat selection protocol disAAdvantages those purchasing last minute tix, often at full(ish) fare.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM. HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dfwflyguy

They have until tomorrow morning, 7am to straighten this out. Otherwise I'll be in 15B.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BLG
One interesting thing he mentioned was that he got 1M in one year when there was a three for one promotion going on and he had over 300K BIS miles -- I didn't remember that one -- maybe before my time. He was a really nice guy. I have no idea what he did, but he certainly flew a lot!
There is a three for one promotion going on now - any round trip out of RDU, PIT, BNA, or STL gets triple redeemable miles - quadruple if you are EXP or Plat. Must fly between June 2 and Dec. 31. If you were EXP or Plat and flew 300,000 BIS miles out of one of those cities during that time period, you would get 1.2MM. And a sore butt.

There was also a three for one promotion last year, on nonstop flights between BOS and SAN/LAX/SFO. That one ran for about 3 1/2 months, IIRC.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
AA's seat selection protocol disAAdvantages those purchasing last minute tix, often at full(ish) fare.
Ahhh but listen to all the people who complain they can't select a seat on BA because they don't have status and they've bought a discounted ticket. There really doesn't seem to be a perfect solution.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.