Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ask the AA pilot

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Ask the AA pilot

Good afternoon everyone. I spoke with the good people here at flyertalk about adding an 'Ask the AA pilot' thread to this section. Everyone agreed it would be a good addition, as a couple other airlines have their respective pilots answering questions.

Feel free to post any questions you have. I will answer them as best I can, or will at least give you some insight into our thought process for a given situation. I look forward to getting to know the people on here or even seeing you in the future.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Welcome to FT, V1Rotate, and thanks for volunteering some time to answer questions! ^
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Thank you for your input. Can you mention the aircraft and route you often fly.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

No problem. Glad to be here. I think its just as valuable for me to be able learn from the people I carry around everyday.

To answer your question, i'm currently a DFW based 737 Captain. I've also been an FO and Captain on the S80 and an FO on the 756. The trips I fly vary (fortunately). Each month we will bid on our schedules for the following month. Everyone has their method for how they bid.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by V1Rotate
No problem. Glad to be here. I think its just as valuable for me to be able learn from the people I carry around everyday.

To answer your question, i'm currently a DFW based 737 Captain. I've also been an FO and Captain on the S80 and an FO on the 756. The trips I fly vary (fortunately). Each month we will bid on our schedules for the following month. Everyone has their method for how they bid.
Welcome to FT ^

What's your favorite and least favorite airports for flying into and out of?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Ok, I feel ridiculous for asking this question but there is one person on the AA forum who has insisted that the Captain and the FO are not allowed to eat the same meal for safety reasons.

Could you once and for all confirm or debunk this myth?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by sukn
the Captain and the FO are not allowed to eat the same meal...?
I'll have the fish.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by KtownTraveler
I'll have the fish.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United
Are the seats up front in the remodeled 737's as uncomfortable as those in Econ and First?

Last edited by pssteve; Nov 24, 2010 at 4:18 pm Reason: Punctuation
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Question about the 777 crew rest situiation.

Why don't the pilots use the built in crew rest forward of F and aft of the cockpit? Wouldn't it be preferable than being out in te cabin with the pax as they are now? Also I know the contract provides single F seats for pilot rest, but why 1A and 2A? Why not 4A and 4J when needed?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
V1 Rotate, Welcome to FT! Looking forward to reading your responses to our queries.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
In the absence of an obvious contributing circumstance such as extreme weather, to what degree is the smoothness (or lack thereof) of a landing the result of pilot skill/error?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Can we ask about negotiations, or would that topic be off limits?
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by V1Rotate

"Welcome aboard" V1Rotate! Now that MD-80s are no longer scheduled at Boston-Logan and AA has closed the MD base, it seems unlikely MD-80s will return to Boston but nothing is forever. If the company decided to resume MDs at Logan, would they have to re-open the base? I'd like for AA to keep crews based at BOS to support our local economy as the the BOS base sizes have been dwindling. Welcome to FT.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
V1 Rotate - While I'm sure we all appreciate your willingness to answer questions here on FT, please relay to all of your AA colleagues the appreciation of all of us who are AA frequent flyers for your commitment, dedication and skill that get us safely from one end to the other.

Please watch for our FT luggage tags, at a boarding door near you soon!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.