Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

BA / British Airways copay / surcharge & increases (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 13, 2012, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR NOTE

Awards using British Airways / BA incur significant surcharges compared with most other oneworld airlines or AA partner airlines. This thread explores the nature of these surcharges and how to determine what they will be.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Effective today, Wednesday November 17, 2010, British Airways will increase the fuel surcharge for all tickets issued in US, for travel originating in the US to Europe* (excluding the UK).

The fuel surcharge will increase from US$250 to US$260 round-trip, (US$125 to US$130 one-way) on journeys from the US to Europe only.

Fuel surcharges to all other regions and segments will remain unchanged.

*Europe does not include United Kingdom, Ukraine, and Russia.
The "fuel surcharge" is the co-pay for AAdvantage awards redeemed on BA, and is in addition to all other taxes and fees.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
I don’t intend to minimize the effect of 5 extra bucks, each way per U.S.-Europe award for BA's bottom-line, but it really seems like the timing of this announcement (so soon after AA FFs have to start paying the fuel surcharges) is like rubbing salt in the wounds.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 17, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Here's something I've been wondering: does AA levy a fuel surcharge for those redeeming awards through BA? If not, then I think that this new TATL JBA really puts AAdvantage people at a disadvantage (no pun intended). Whereas before, BA members couldn't redeem TATL awards on AA metal, now they can do so and if AA doesn't have a fuel surcharge but BA does, then it would stand to reason that more BA people are going to redeem their miles on AA, thereby decreasing overall award availability on AA.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 2:34 pm

So this increase also, I assume, applies to AAdvantage members redeeming for BA flights trans atlantic.

Do we have any condfirmation or good insight that BA actually gets this $ if ticketd by AA -- or is AA pocketing this $.

Originally Posted by SafeFlyer
I don’t intend to minimize the effect of 5 extra bucks, each way per U.S.-Europe award for BA's bottom-line, but it really seems like the timing of this announcement (so soon after AA FFs have to start paying the fuel surcharges) is like rubbing salt in the wounds.

Safe Travels
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Wow, this only makes me fly BA for the miles (now 100% on AAdvantage) and redeem on AA. I went to the World Cup flying BA Club World on an award ticket, and NO fuel surcharge for those tickets. Now, I don´t plan to fly BA on award tickets anymore, unless it is extremely necesary. Only paid on BA and getting full miles on AA.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover
So this increase also, I assume, applies to AAdvantage members redeeming for BA flights trans atlantic.

Do we have any condfirmation or good insight that BA actually gets this $ if ticketd by AA -- or is AA pocketing this $.
From what I understand, unless otherwise arranged, fuel surcharges are kept by the ticketing carrier, not the publishing carrier.

However, since AA/BA are in a ATI and there is now an extensive partnership in place, it would be reasonable to assume that AA remits the fuel surcharges to BA (especially since AA does not otherwise impose fuel surcharges on non-BA redemption).
Old Nov 18, 2010, 6:46 am

This has been my understanding...

So basically, AA is using blaming BA when in fact, AA is either keeping the revenue or at least sharing in it.....

And I am making the assumption that if you use an AAdvantage award on BA foam say SYD-BKK, where is no ATI, it is AA that is pocketing this fuel surcharge.

AA Mgmt must be dancing through the halls at Centerpoint that they have effectively created a high copayment system that has a nutural price inverse built in as file goes up.

Originally Posted by ckpeter
From what I understand, unless otherwise arranged, fuel surcharges are kept by the ticketing carrier, not the publishing carrier.

However, since AA/BA are in a ATI and there is now an extensive partnership in place, it would be reasonable to assume that AA remits the fuel surcharges to BA (especially since AA does not otherwise impose fuel surcharges on non-BA redemption).
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:29 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA is financially benefiting from fuel surcharge money collected by it on AA-issued award tickets that include BA flights. This is the result of the government allowances permitting AA to collude with BA and have a TATL JV with revenue-splitting.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 8:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AA Mgmt must be dancing through the halls at Centerpoint that they have effectively created a high copayment system that has a nutural price inverse built in as file goes up.
Exactly. And absent a sufficiently large customer revolt, the above dynamic probably won't go away (presuming the experience of DL customers facing much the same is anything to go by).

It's possible to find regular paid roundtrip tickets connecting the US with Europe on other carriers that cost less money than it does for the cash co-pay applicable to AA-issued award tickets with BA flights on them.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I'm still not clear on the BA-operated surcharge fees. Is it only for long-haul flights? For example if an AAdvantage award ticket is LAX-LHR (AA)-VIE (BA) is there still a fuel charge? Or would it only apply if LAX-LHR were on BA metal?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I'm still not clear on the BA-operated surcharge fees. Is it only for long-haul flights? For example if an AAdvantage award ticket is LAX-LHR (AA)-VIE (BA) is there still a fuel charge? Or would it only apply if LAX-LHR were on BA metal?
No, AA has modified the program as result of the ATI and it collects co-pays on all redemptions on BA metal, including those that have always been free. In your example there would be a co-pay for the LHR-VIE segment where up to a month ago there used to be none.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
(presuming the experience of DL customers facing much the same is anything to go by).
Can you please elaborate?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AA Mgmt must be dancing through the halls at Centerpoint that they have effectively created a high copayment system that has a nutural price inverse built in as file [sic.] goes up.
Agree, and the kicker is that there's no linear tracking between the cost of fuel and this co-pay: the fee hardly ever goes down, mostly up.

I'd love to find historical data graphing the fuel cost and the fee amounts.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 2:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
Originally Posted by i_fly_AA
....... if AA doesn't have a fuel surcharge but BA does, then it would stand to reason that more BA people are going to redeem their miles on AA, thereby decreasing overall award availability on AA.
I suspect that this number will be less than you might expect given the logic. BAEC members are of course well used the the surcharges on award travel and the small sample (two) I know would not consider the saving worthwhile in order to fly what they consider to be an inferior product. Their choice.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 3:44 pm

As seen via a few reports from other FTers, I would expect seeing increased instances of no AA availability but plenty of BA availability...all so AA can collect a copay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.