Wiki Posts
Search

Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR) on AA/oneworld

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Toronto (YYZ) to Vancouver (YVR) on AA/oneworld

Hi all,
I am trying to book tickets from Toronto to Vancouver for January, and the various search engines give strange results. AA.com finds no flights, even if I choose "all carriers". oneworld.com finds only very strange connections, such as yyz-ord-dfw-sea-(AS)-yvr, which a minimum total travel time of about 12 hours. I couldn't get any of them to find the YYZ-(LA)-JFK-(CX)-YVR connection, which is only about 10.5 hours travel time, except if I constructed a multi-city itinerary on oneworld.com. I also could not get any engine to find the one stop connection through DFW, although it is shorter travel time than some of the multi-hop connections the oneworld search engine did find.

Is there something about traveling from Canada to Canada on oneworld that makes the search engines fail? Are these connections not bookable for some reason?

Of course, what I really want to do is book an F award on LAN and CX. What is the best way to search for availability for these awards? Qantas shows nothing. Are BA or IB search engines the only choices? Can Expertflyer do this?

Thanks for your help,
saunders111
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Cabotage

The issue is called cabotage. It is illegal for a foreign flagged carrier to transport a passenger between two domestic points. In your case AA is the foreign flagged carrier. Similarly Air Canada cannot transport you from SEA-YYZ-JFK.

The circuitous routing is to avoid this restriction, AA transports you Canada to USA and Alaska transports you USA-Canada thus one carrier is not doing both.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 12:59 pm

According to the AA award rules on flyerguide:

Travel between two cities in Canada/Mexico via the United States is not allowed.
So, you may encounter difficulty if you try to redeem for YYZ-YVR using AA miles (if I remember correctly, this may be a legal requirement as well, so no other program can workaround this).

As for availability, I was looking at JFK-YVR on CX a few days ago, and it seems to be very available. You can sign up for a Asia Mile account to check CX availability. I don't know much about how often the LAN JFK-YYZ flight is available, but I believe either BA or QF sites will cover that flight, if available.
Old Nov 14, 2010, 6:46 pm
wpj

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold
I do the LAN533/532 YYZ-JFK-YYZ every month and J (no F offered) it is always empty, just myself as the only passenger in the cabin most of the times.

so I don't think it will be a problem finding an award seat if LAN releases U availability for that route.

Originally Posted by ckpeter
According to the AA award rules on flyerguide:

So, you may encounter difficulty if you try to redeem for YYZ-YVR using AA miles (if I remember correctly, this may be a legal requirement as well, so no other program can workaround this).

As for availability, I was looking at JFK-YVR on CX a few days ago, and it seems to be very available. You can sign up for a Asia Mile account to check CX availability. I don't know much about how often the LAN JFK-YYZ flight is available, but I believe either BA or QF sites will cover that flight, if available.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
The issue is called cabotage. It is illegal for a foreign flagged carrier to transport a passenger between two domestic points. In your case AA is the foreign flagged carrier. Similarly Air Canada cannot transport you from SEA-YYZ-JFK.

The circuitous routing is to avoid this restriction, AA transports you Canada to USA and Alaska transports you USA-Canada thus one carrier is not doing both.
You could theoretically get around this by also booking seperate tickets right?

That's obviously a more expensive way to do that but could be worth it to say book a cheap paid Y ticket to JFK to take advantage of the CX F/J experience to YVR....
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:30 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by saunders111
I am trying to book tickets from Toronto to Vancouver
Did CP really have to fail? I wonder. Westjet proved there was room for a second large airline in Canada, although they have never filled the hole in Oneworld left by CP.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 7:47 am

Programs: AA: Former CK (LT PLT), MB: PE (LT Gold)
Is driving to BUF an option? That is if you don't want to pay for 2 separate awards.

You can also look into purchasing the YYZ<>JFK options.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:17 am

I believe you can also get around it by putting a stopover in the itinerary because then you are flying CAN-USA-CAN rather than CAN-CAN

Its the same on a revenue ticket. I can't buy YUL-(DFW)-YYC on AA but can buy YUL-DFW-YYC
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:33 pm

Anybody have recent experiences of getting an award YYZ-YVR with AAdvantage?

I just called and the agent is quoting me 2 separate awards as discussed above. YYZ-JFK (AA) and then JFK-YVR (YVR). i don't mind the 25K business award but 50K for business award within North America is pretty steep.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Billy910
Anybody have recent experiences of getting an award YYZ-YVR with AAdvantage?

I just called and the agent is quoting me 2 separate awards as discussed above. YYZ-JFK (AA) and then JFK-YVR (YVR). i don't mind the 25K business award but 50K for business award within North America is pretty steep.
Nope, thats used to be my regular commute
I would probably redeem CX YVR-JFK and buy a YYZ/BUF-JFK as necessary
Start your return ex-BUF on B6/DL and go megabus between YYZ-BUF to save cost

Holla at Canadian Based EXP!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
Nope, thats used to be my regular commute
I would probably redeem CX YVR-JFK and buy a YYZ/BUF-JFK as necessary
Start your return ex-BUF on B6/DL and go megabus between YYZ-BUF to save cost

Holla at Canadian Based EXP!
I have done YYZ JFK YVR on Air Miles.
It was pricing as 2 tickets on the GDS but Air Miles issued it.
The other way isn't allowed though (probably because YVR-JFK needs more miles than YVR-YYZ)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:02 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I have done YYZ JFK YVR on Air Miles.
It was pricing as 2 tickets on the GDS but Air Miles issued it.
The other way isn't allowed though (probably because YVR-JFK needs more miles than YVR-YYZ)
Who is Air Miles?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HNL
Who is Air Miles?
www.airmiles.ca
Old Mar 13, 2012, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wpj
I do the LAN533/532 YYZ-JFK-YYZ every month and J (no F offered) it is always empty, just myself as the only passenger in the cabin most of the times.

so I don't think it will be a problem finding an award seat if LAN releases U availability for that route.
It looks like that flight is discontinued (i.e. it terminates at JFK instead of going on to YYZ)
Old Mar 13, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
Originally Posted by wpj

Originally Posted by hillrider
It looks like that flight is discontinued (i.e. it terminates at JFK instead of going on to YYZ)
That JFK-YYZ sector got cut on Mar 31, 2011, I wanted to fly that last year but I missed it by a day, couldn't fly on 3/31

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.