FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA.com re-design: Monday 11/15/2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1147274-aa-com-re-design-monday-11-15-2010-a.html)

dstan Dec 6, 2010 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by RKDuke (Post 15392268)
Anybody else experience this. Ever since they redesigned the AA.COM website I am finding it very slow to load pages completely. I find that it loads the page but then just hangs for 15-30 seconds. My browser is IE8 running on Windows 7 Enterprise. Apologies if this has already been discussed but I am seeking to determine whether this is due to the new web site or some issue on my PC.
RKDuke

This thread has now been merged into the existing thread on the redesign.

/Moderator

CMK10 Dec 7, 2010 3:33 pm

I miss the easy link on the hope page to "View All". I always forget to click "My Account" and wonder how to look at my mileage balance.

Still, the changes are better than what Delta did to their website :rolleyes:

chuckd83 Dec 7, 2010 3:37 pm

Finally. I did not like the old aa.com

izzypoobah Dec 9, 2010 10:12 am

2 steps back...

My 2 cents: The new site is just the typical half-assed cosmetic refresh, accompanied by the usual browser compatibility quirks due to their increased use of "web 2.0" features. Overall, the experience is underwhelming (and unnecessary).

I did notice a couple of issues that I'm surprised nobody has mentioned:
1) The old site allowed elites to choose preferred seating for non-elites, by looking up the non-elite person's itinerary by record locator while the elite is logged in. The new site seems to know the elite status of the ticketed passenger and uses that to decide what level of availability to show on the seat map.

I did see an exception to this behavior, but it might have been due to the fact that I had purchased (with miles) tix for some non-AA pax, and was thus allowed to apply my status to their seat selection. Or it may be related to their CX elite status (after entering it in the additional pax info section).

Anyhow, the ability for elites to choose seats for non-elite reservations not related to them was probably a loophole in the old tool. But I miss it.

2) The Add/Edit Passenger Details feature does not work properly for international travel in Chrome. Specifically, the additional details button is grayed out most of the time - it may be due to cached info/previous activity. However, the functionality works as expected in IE. That leads me to believe that the new design is being developed for and tested on IE, and that Chrome users should beware of errors or inconsistent behavior with the new site.

*Addendum - There's one more issue I noticed with the new site. You can no longer perform reservations tasks across multiple browser tabs. Previously, I would be able to search multiple requests in separate tabs, and each tab would perform as its own session. Now, the tabs will not act as separate sessions. When you perform a search in tab 1, and start a different search in tab 2, continuing activity in tab 1 will take you to the search results from tab 2. Basically, your action flow will be continued from the last action you took, regardless of which tab you are currently in. (at least in Chrome)

jakuda Dec 9, 2010 10:15 am

The slowness is most apparent on the new site when I use the mouse-wheel to scroll up and down.

JDiver Dec 9, 2010 11:57 am

+1. (Using Chrome, however.) Eye candy, no substantive changes. We can hope Mr. Saenz is really addressing changes, and not what AA attempts to put across as change but comes down to a new, not very inventive, skin on the same old cow.

Originally Posted by demkr (Post 15393022)
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.654 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Wow I (fortunately) am yet to have this problem. Everything to me is as fast as it was. I still have a number of frustrations with the functionality of the site, but have yet to experience technical/speed issues.

wandertheglobe Dec 18, 2010 11:23 am

Slow since upgrade??

Has anyone else noticed that the AA.com site is slower since the upgrade (or the last few weeks?). Even using the wheel on the mouse to scroll down the page is delayed, very annoying. Other websites are fine.

LRD Dec 18, 2010 11:55 am

Originally Posted by wandertheglobe (Post 15475847)
... Even using the wheel on the mouse to scroll down the page is delayed, very annoying.

Which browser?

JY1024 Dec 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by wandertheglobe (Post 15475847)
Has anyone else noticed that the AA.com site is slower since the upgrade (or the last few weeks?). Even using the wheel on the mouse to scroll down the page is delayed, very annoying. Other websites are fine.

Based on the experiences of other FTers, it seems like you're not alone. Folks have given some suggestions re: brower compatibility and settings in the AA.com re-design thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...15-2010-a.html

( Your post has been moved as your question may get better answers here, where others have provided some suggestions/discussion. Thanks! :) /Moderator)

LRD Dec 18, 2010 1:12 pm

This may help folks like wandertheglobe, jakuda, and others, but...

If you're using Firefox and ....... Plus and experiencing slow scrolling with the mouse-wheel, add the following filter to .......:

aa-main-bkg$domain=aa.com
You'll lose that pretty sky-blue background, but FF has a problem trying to repaint a full-page .jpg on every mouse-wheel movement.

Report back with your findings.

wandertheglobe Dec 19, 2010 11:50 pm

Impressed!

Originally Posted by LRD (Post 15476485)
This may help folks like wandertheglobe, jakuda, and others, but...

If you're using Firefox and ....... Plus and experiencing slow scrolling with the mouse-wheel, add the following filter to .......:

You'll lose that pretty sky-blue background, but FF has a problem trying to repaint a full-page .jpg on every mouse-wheel movement.

Report back with your findings.

Looks like you are absolutely correct! Seems faster now, give me a few days of normal use to see if it takes care of it throughout the day. First look however is promising.

THANK YOU!! :)