FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   AA.com re-design: Monday 11/15/2010 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1147274-aa-com-re-design-monday-11-15-2010-a.html)

ty97 Nov 12, 2010 3:21 pm

AA.com re-design: Monday 11/15/2010

Just got this e-mail

Dear ty97,

Because you are an AAdvantage Executive Platinum® member, we want you to be the first to hear the exciting news we will announce on Monday — the new look of AA.com. Next week, when you log on to AA.com, you will see your suggestions reflected in a major redesign that makes your favorite AA.com features more intuitive, smarter and easier to navigate.

The new AA.com is just the latest in a long list of milestones we have achieved over the past 15 years aimed at improving your online experience.

miamigrad Nov 12, 2010 3:21 pm

Email from AA: The New AA.com Is Coming Soon!‏

Just received an email from AA announcing that a new AA.com is scheduled to be announced on Monday, November 15, 2010 (not sure when it will actually be released - whether Monday or later in the week).

I look forward to it. Hopefully, it will offer real improvement in addition to whatever cosmetic touches have been applied. ^

dugknight Nov 12, 2010 3:23 pm

I received the same email. I'm hoping and wishing for airport upgrade standby lists! Adding to the iPhone app would be the icing on the cake!

jlp187 Nov 12, 2010 3:24 pm

were you glued to your PC ready with copy/paste?

i just got this email :)

ilovetofly Nov 12, 2010 3:24 pm

No email yet but hopefully it will include the ability to check partner award availability and book online. Looking forward to it.

miamigrad Nov 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by dugknight (Post 15129208)
I received the same email. I'm hoping and wishing for airport upgrade standby lists! Adding to the iPhone app would be the icing on the cake!

That would be awesome, indeed. As an Android user, I look forward to using the app that is currently only available to iPhone users.

demkr Nov 12, 2010 3:24 pm

woohoo!! long overdue

rjw242 Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm

I for one wholeheartedly denounce the new AA.com and its unwieldy, all-style-and-no-substance design.

Just getting a head start ;)

Abidjan Nov 12, 2010 3:28 pm

all great ideas. looking forward to seeing what's in store.

uxb Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm

HOLY #@!%!!!

I almost peed my pants when I saw the E-mail. This was at least a decade (maybe two) coming!

Welcome to the 21st Century, American Airlines!!!

farrish11 Nov 12, 2010 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by ilovetofly (Post 15129218)
No email yet but hopefully it will include the ability to check partner award availability and book online. Looking forward to it.

+1

Although I'm a little nervous - of the sites I've used in the past year (AA, Delta, United), AA is by far the most functional. I hope the "improvements" aren't a step back (like when the ability to do "flexible date" searches was removed a year or so ago).

Tries Nov 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Interesting.

Just got a pop-up to aa.com customer survey visiting aa.com

Not sure, if they can be that fast to consider my feedback.

miamigrad Nov 12, 2010 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by farrish11 (Post 15129263)
+1

Although I'm a little nervous - of the sites I've used in the past year (AA, Delta, United), AA is by far the most functional. I hope the "improvements" aren't a step back (like when the ability to do "flexible date" searches was removed a year or so ago).

+1 I agree. I hope they are real improvements... not just cosmetic "fluff," and not a way to take away functionality that users need and use.

CaptainEasychord Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm

Seems like a lot of setting-self-up-for-disappointment going on already. It says "a major redesign that makes your favorite AA.com features more intuitive, smarter, and easier to navigate." That seems to pretty explicitly say visual redesign rather than boatloads of difficult to implement new features.

I'll be happy anyway. Yes, the current site does most of what I need, blah, blah, but it always makes me a little bit sad to see it.

dugknight Nov 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by farrish11 (Post 15129263)
I hope the "improvements" aren't a step back (like when the ability to do "flexible date" searches was removed a year or so ago).

I agree wholeheartedly! I miss that function. It was great being able to see the cheapest fare for the whole month.

donnde Nov 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Ironically I was just asked to do an online survey yesterday for AA.com. I actually spent a fair amount of time on it offering suggestions. I'm guessing the developers didn't get my ideas into this version. ;)

barelyelite Nov 12, 2010 3:34 pm

Fingers crossed for auto-remember-my-AAdvantage-number! ;)

I, too, took an AA.com survey last week, but I doubt they've incorporated my comments.

scnzzz Nov 12, 2010 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite (Post 15129298)

^+ a whole bunch :)

While I'm looking forward to this...
1. I hope it remains stable...
2. I hope I can still find all the stuff I eventually figured out how to find (or will I need to unlearn all the stupid pathways that took forever to figure out)

dugknight Nov 12, 2010 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite (Post 15129298)

I, too, took an AA.com survey last week, but I doubt they've incorporated my comments.

My Firefox browser won't even remember my credentials on AA.com like it does with most other sites. Not sure why that's never worked with AA. Auto-login or at least the Aadvantage number would be great. We are making up quite a wish-list here!

gemac Nov 12, 2010 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by ty97 (Post 15129195)
Just got this e-mail

Dear ty97,

Because you are an AAdvantage Executive Platinum® member, we want you to be the first to hear the exciting news we will announce on Monday — the new look of AA.com.

I'm an EXP, but I haven't gotten an e-mail yet. Why are you first and some of us haven't heard yet. :mad:

brp Nov 12, 2010 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 15129372)
I'm an EXP, but I haven't gotten an e-mail yet. Why are you first and some of us haven't heard yet. :mad:

You're the nouveau EXP. Those of us who have been EXP for longer are clearly more valuable to AA :D

Cheers.

gemac Nov 12, 2010 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by gemac (Post 15129372)

Seven minutes after I posted the above, I got my e-mail. Who says AA doesn't monitor FT? :D

SK Nov 12, 2010 4:04 pm

The background of that email shows a glimpse of what to expect.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_usLL4NYkgI...s400/AAnew.jpg

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Nov 12, 2010 4:06 pm

I got the email, too. My first thought was, I bet there's a thread on FT about this, or there will be one. I was right. :D

3544quebec Nov 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by SK (Post 15129494)

What - really blurry images?

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Nov 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by SK (Post 15129494)

Wow! 3D! The bridge comes out of my screen?

pdog02 Nov 12, 2010 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin (Post 15129518)
Wow! 3D! The bridge comes out of my screen?

Anybody else think it's ironic AA is using an image of the Golden Gate Bridge after all the cutbacks in the Bay area?

OWdevotee Nov 12, 2010 4:20 pm

Many of the changes are cosmetic, and those that are functional are unlikely to light a fire on this board.

Hyperacusis Nov 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Am I the only person NOT hoping for partner awards to become available online? Certainly won't help availability.

Billy910 Nov 12, 2010 4:27 pm

From the image above I wonder if they are going to make the home screen look more like the other travel sites like orbitz, expedia, etc where a user can book packages as well as just flights.

OWdevotee Nov 12, 2010 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Billy910 (Post 15129622)
From the image above I wonder if they are going to make the home screen look more like the other travel sites like orbitz, expedia, etc where a user can book packages as well as just flights.

You're spot on.

zman Nov 12, 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by OWdevotee (Post 15129589)
Many of the changes are cosmetic, and those that are functional are unlikely to light a fire on this board.

I hope I will be able to pick my own booking class/fare basis as DL has had for years. Getting tired of booking/hold and having to call AA to change and than AA to ticket as AA.COM wants to change what I have to ??????, that it will not tell you to what, until after it is purchased.

swag Nov 12, 2010 4:45 pm

I've learned to hope for the best and expect the worst.

Two UI features that the site used to have, now lost: 1-click access to "My Reservations", and a "Remember me" checkbox that remembered to stay checked. I'd be happy if they bring those back and don't break anything else.

777lover Nov 12, 2010 5:09 pm

As with most things AA does, it will be done half asssed

riced Nov 12, 2010 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by 777lover (Post 15129841)
As with most things AA does, it will be done half asssed

Spoken like a true aficionado. :D

jeffreyt Nov 12, 2010 5:38 pm

By the way, the email mentions an iPad app. Sure enough, AA released an iPad HD app on Tuesday, so there are two separate apps for the IOS platform. It looks like a big version of the iPhone app.

aamilesslave Nov 12, 2010 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242 (Post 15129241)
I for one wholeheartedly denounce the new AA.com and its unwieldy, all-style-and-no-substance design.

Just getting a head start ;)

As with any re-design, expert users won't be able to find what they're looking for in a timely manner....

TheAAdmiral Nov 12, 2010 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 15129408)
You're the nouveau EXP. Those of us who have been EXP for longer are clearly more valuable to AA :D

Cheers.

Cool,

I recieved my email at 4:18 central time. So in order of value to AA, where do I stand?:D

rjw242 Nov 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by aamilesslave (Post 15130022)
As with any re-design, expert users won't be able to find what they're looking for in a timely manner....

Well, if they've finally figured out how to keep the "Remember my AAdvantage Number on this computer for my next visit" box checked, it'll all be worth it.

riteshraja Nov 12, 2010 6:01 pm

Has golden gate bridge in the background so maybe more flights at SFO?