Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Speculation: Number of EXP Members in 2011 - Any Sense?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2010, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Speculation: Number of EXP Members in 2011 - Any Sense?

I get the sense that 2011 we might see less EXPs out there than we did this year. Does anyone else have any idea if this will be the case? No double EQM offers, continued depression etc.

Let the wild speculation begin.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:04 pm

I hope you are right. Last year I was a Double EQM "fake" ExPlat.

This year I am a legit one.

The EXP experience that I have had this year has been superb and certainly increased my determination to ensure that I remain one and with 4,500 EQMs to go I will certainly make it for 2011. All of my travel is on AA now.

That being said, I have found it hard over the past months to use VIPs on the DFW-LHR route where I have found that it has been very competitive over the last few months and have lost out several times. I am told by AA staff that it is not the norm but there you go.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CityFlyerNYC
I thought it already had.

AA EXP Plan in 2011

How many threads do we need on this?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA: EXP HH: Diamond
Originally Posted by videomaker
I thought it already had.

AA EXP Plan in 2011

How many threads do we need on this?
I'm a total noob, but it seems the thread you linked to is about plans to make EXP in 2011, whereas this one is inviting speculation on whether there will be more or fewer EXPs in 2011.

Different topic, no?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AC 75K, A3*G, AS MVPG, AA LT Gold 1MM, JL/JGC (OWS) , Marriott Titanium, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
The title might look similar but the topic itself is nowhere close. The linked one is how someone is planning to achieve 2011 EXP. The OP here is asking if people thinking the ranks of EXP might diminish due to less DEQM offers and other things
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Really just no way of knowing. The counter argument would be that business travel picked up. Counter arguing that would be that anyone that travels enough to reach over 50K miles per year or more probably continued to travel in any kind of economy. And finally, there were still some extensive targeted DEQMs during 2010.

One could go round and round. For me, I made EXP again for 2011. Now I need to worry about 2012. In 2009, I was 100% upgraded, in 2010 I missed three upgrades (which I can live with). You EXPs, stay put when I fly.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I get the sense that 2011 we might see less EXPs out there than we did this year. Does anyone else have any idea if this will be the case? No double EQM offers, continued depression etc.

I won't be EXP next year, first time in several years [4 I think? Maybe 5]. I never qualified solely due to DBEQM.

My travel has been less this year, simply b/c of other commitments. I've grappled w/the idea of doing some MRs ex BNA, PIT, etc.. but (a) I know these commitments will continue to reduce my travel next year and (b) AA has pretty much abandoned SJC and if I'm going to fly out of SFO, then I might as well fly UA. One example: we love taking a quick trip to HNL for the weekend, and our choices: 1 AA 757 flight vs. 4 UA dailies, including 2 777s.

As for the lack of SWUs and int'l travel: I'm just on the lookout for good I fares, since I'm no longer commuting to/from West Coast to Italy, it affordable to do so - and has the added benefit of not having to sweat out whether or not the upgrade will clear.

Last edited by bdemaria; Nov 4, 2010 at 6:53 pm
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp

Some people have taken advantage of the DEQM from STL, PIT, RDU and BNA this year to help qualify for EXP, but I am sure the numbers are going to be a less than the past couple of years.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA silver, Hyatt PLT, AA EXP, US silver, ICH RA, CO PLT
Originally Posted by Encom
I'm a total noob, but it seems the thread you linked to is about plans to make EXP in 2011, whereas this one is inviting speculation on whether there will be more or fewer EXPs in 2011.

Different topic, no?
you are totally right!
Old Nov 4, 2010, 2:39 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by Short hair Francis
The title might look similar but the topic itself is nowhere close. The linked one is how someone is planning to achieve 2011 EXP. The OP here is asking if people thinking the ranks of EXP might diminish due to less DEQM offers and other things

Thread title updated for clarity.

/Moderator
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I'm projecting to end up 1200 miles from EXP, so you can bet I will figure out something to earn those EQMs. The problem is that it will have to be after December 15, when fares are not great.

I can't see how there would be as many next year as this year. However, planes seem to be full when I fly, so who knows.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Looks like Alaska has some decent OAK-SEA fares out until December 21 that should fit the bill.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like Alaska has some decent OAK-SEA fares out until December 21 that should fit the bill.
Thanks! One RT would do it.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
There's definitely been a huge increase in business travel out here, but I don't know how much of that is on AA (especially given all the cuts recently).
Old Nov 4, 2010, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
One could go round and round. For me, I made EXP again for 2011. Now I need to worry about 2012.
No need to worry about 2012--the world is ending. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.