Wiki Posts
Search

Recent check-in experience in Dublin?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, HIlton Gold
Recent check-in experience in Dublin?

Taking a family trip to Ireland in October. Tuesday departure @ 10:35am. The official AA recommendation is 3 hours.

Is this really required? Does priority access matter at all (EXP)? Traveling with family and don't relish getting the kids to the airport by 7:35am after returning the rental car!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/OW Emerald
Last time I left DUB was a year ago so it may have changed, but 3 hours is way too early. Check-in won't even be open by then (it opened around 2 hours prior if I recall).

There is a separate check-in line and security line for elites.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I generally aim for around the 2 hour knowing that I'm invariably running 15 mins or so late. As noted there is a separate line for elites and it is rarely very long.

The only thing I'd add is that if your VIP is clearing at the airport I would allow some extra time. This involves leaving check-in and going back to the ticketing desk and always seems to be very slow at DUB.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

I don't think we'll have much luck on the eVIP. I need 3 - all or nothing (family) and there are only 8 seats left. Sometime in September they switch to the 757 and there are only 16 total.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by gcsmith
I don't think we'll have much luck on the eVIP. I need 3 - all or nothing (family) and there are only 8 seats left. Sometime in September they switch to the 757 and there are only 16 total.
Yes it is tough ex-DUB. However the last two times my VIP cleared at the airport after the flights had show J0 etc. for 1 & 3 weeks hence my warning above. I dread to think how long 3 VIPs would take to be processed.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
2 Hours definitely enough, possibly even too much, as there is little to do beyond security except shop in the Loop duty free shop. You should be able to get in to the Aer Lingus lounge (I have on Plat) but this was recently reduced in size by half and is really not worth it.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Just flew ex-DUB last Friday. Got there 2 hours prior to departure. Airport was a madhouse, but PriorityAAccess got us checked in quickly. We weren't flying J (could not clear SWUs - ) so we stood in the regular security line. However, the line moved very fast, there are many checkpoints and you don't have to remove shoes to go through. We did go to the Aer Lingus lounge which is somewhat sad but it does have snacks (Bewley's tea and scones!) and some alcoholic options too. Beware: lounge is fairly far from the departure gate, so plan accordingly.

All in all, not a bad experience.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT (2 MM); Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just posted in the SWU thread that the 757 in this configuration we flew last week (ORD/DUB) reserved 2 J seats for crew rest, so there were really 14 available seats to play with. Definitely a tough upgrade; we got it on the outbound (at the last minute), and were not successful on the return. YMMV, good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA ADVANTAGE
As stated, 2 hrs. is more than adequate and the priority line moves fast. Air Lingus lounge does have great scones and an adequate liquor selection, yet it is hard to find. The new terminal will probably improve both lounge and offerings. My wife and I enjoyed the time spent there.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. Nice fresh information helps. I'll aim for 2.5 hrs since I'm with family and probably make it at 2 hrs because my wife is chronically late. She doesn't read flyertalk so hopefully I'm safe saying that . . .
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, BD GE
Don't pax have to go through customs at DUB? I thought that's why they recommended people get in so early...
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by nathockens
Don't pax have to go through customs at DUB? I thought that's why they recommended people get in so early...
Some TATL flights clear US immigration at DUB but not AA.
Old Oct 1, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Taking a family trip to Ireland in October. Tuesday departure @ 10:35am. The official AA recommendation is 3 hours.

Is this really required? Does priority access matter at all (EXP)? Traveling with family and don't relish getting the kids to the airport by 7:35am after returning the rental car!
You get to use the fast track security lane just behind the AA desks too.

When flying on AA I aim to reach the airport around 8:30. One morning I cut it very fine and arrived at the check-in desks around 9:15.

Here's an extract from a trip report I wrote on a trip last year re: arrival, check-in and security.

"I arrived at DUB just after 8.30a, I parked in the long term ‘Red’ car park and took the complimentary bus to the main terminal. Only 6 people in the check-in queue, but the flight looks pretty packed. Being an AA PLAT I could use the Business/Priority AAcess line. Check-in was quick and easy, and I was checked in for all flights on my itinerary. The check in agent looked at me when she saw my itinerary – ‘Miles, yes?’

Security took minutes. AA Elites and Business Class passengers can use the Fast Track security line. I was airside at 9.05a."

You can read full reports from the links in my signature.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:58 am
cxn

Originally Posted by paulmcgrath
Security took minutes. AA Elites and Business Class passengers can use the Fast Track security line. I was airside at 9.05a."
I asked the lady at checkin if as a PLT I was able to use the Fast Track line. She said she didnt think I could but could try anyways.

Since the normal security was long, but moving quickly, I thought to try. Had my Plat card out, walked up and was through security in mins.

have fun...
Old Oct 2, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
As long as Priority AAcess is printed on your bp, you can use fast track.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.