Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

All Emergency Exit Row and Premium seats gone? [Systemwide Glitch - RESOLVED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I am ExecPlat and tried to get a seat assignment on a flight 269 JFK-SEA today for a flight next week, but all emergency exit row seats were gone. Then I checked the same flight all they way out as far next year as the system would allow me to do - same result. Then I did the same with all other AA flights. All seats were gone.

I figured out that there was something wrong with my FFN so I called the res line. She tells me that all the seats have been taken. She was so smug to tell me that they have been "selling seats like crazy" even for the next summer. Clearly she was full of it.....rather insulting to expect anyone to buy this story. Not in a million years would all seats be gone. I have not seen all emergency exit rows seats book for a week out - never mind a year out. How insulting.... or dumb on her part.

Anyway - question for everyone else. Are you experiencing the same results on aa.com?

Here is my theory:
1) Someone has messed up the implementation of the new system where they are now selling these seats

However other possibilities are:
2) These seats are no longer available to premium fliers
3) Someone has hacked into their system and "booked" all emergency exit row seats
4) Something is wrong with my FFN

Thanks
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:48 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Nope, I'm not seeing that.

Are you sure you're logged in as EXP on aa.com?

Welcome to FT.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Of course. I even tried to log out and log back in...
Can you check 269 JFK - SEA on OCT 1st?
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ddttnt
Of course. I even tried to log out and log back in...
Can you check 269 JFK - SEA on OCT 1st?
Logged in as EXP, I don't see any exit-row seats available for that flight Oct. 1 or the following day.

She tells me that all the seats have been taken. She was so smug to tell me that they have been "selling seats like crazy" even for the next summer. Clearly she was full of it.....rather insulting to expect anyone to buy this story. Not in a million years would all seats be gone. I have not seen all emergency exit rows seats book for a week out - never mind a year out. How insulting.... or dumb on her part.
Wow, you sound a bit condescending there.

I'd suggest calling web services and see if there is a glitch or if all the seats are actually sold. Or an EXP AAgent looking at the actual flight also should be able to tell you. It's unclear from your post whether the first one actually checked availability or just "assumed" and glossed it over.

Oh, and welcome to FT!

Last edited by videomaker; Sep 8, 2010 at 3:25 am
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:32 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Something does look wrong. Exit rows plus first few rows blocked through August 5 next year. I tried another cross-country 757 route (JFK-SAN), same thing. Also tried my usual flights LGA-ORD (MD80), all blocked as well. Wonder what's going on ....
Old Sep 8, 2010, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I have not seen all emergency exit rows seats book for a week out - never mind a year out.
I have certainly seen all exit rows taken a week out, esp. on transcons. Then they start to open up as upgrades clear.

As for the overriding issue here: I agree something seems odd here. I would call back and ask to speak to webservices.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 5:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Yep, something's astray. Even the American Eagle exit row seats are unavailable.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:26 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
If I were a betting man, I would wager they are making those seats ready for sale.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Put a res on hold last night about 11pm CST, booked exit row seats for my party no issue. Just checked this morning and all seats in those rows are now blocked although I still have my seats. Hopefully this is temporary...

Last edited by sica4; Sep 8, 2010 at 6:43 am
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:36 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
If I were a betting man, I would wager they are making those seats ready for sale.
I was checking some STL - LAX flights and again, the same situation!! No exit rows available! Non stops - None! Connecting through ORD or DFW - None! NOTHING!

So status flyers are now blocked from booking those seats?

This is NOT good.

Update -
Just got off the phone with a "Plat" CSR and she said it's a system issue. She talked to someone from "seats and flyfo (flight info)" and they told her that the seats ARE available even though the CSR couldn't access them. The CSR is filing a report.

Hopefully this will be remedied soon.

Last edited by pkerr; Sep 8, 2010 at 7:04 am
Old Sep 8, 2010, 6:50 am

I think it's just a glitch as happened within the past couple of years. It does not appear to be related to the impending Express seat selections as Exits were not on the specific seat no's listed/plane. Also, International flights are affected by this issue.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Checked all of the flights I have booked and some random flights. The problem appears to be systemwide (also on EF, so not an issue of not recognizing elite status). I presume that it is a temporary glitch rather than implementation of a new change.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Update -
Just got off the phone with a "Plat" CSR and she said it's a system issue. She talked to someone from "seats and flyfo (flight info)" and they told her that the seats ARE available even though the CSR couldn't access them. The CSR is filing a report
============

So implementation issue after all.

OK, so maybe I wasn't that condescending after all....

Thanks all for following up on this.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Update -
Just got off the phone with a "Plat" CSR and she said it's a system issue. She talked to someone from "seats and flyfo (flight info)" and they told her that the seats ARE available even though the CSR couldn't access them. The CSR is filing a report
============

So implementation issue after all.

OK, so maybe I wasn't that condescending after all....

Thanks all for following up on this.

You made several guesses as to the cause of the problem, some more far-fetched than others imo. It might be a wee bit early, however, to be patting yourself on the back, unless the agent told you it's a system issue due to "...implementation of the new system where they are now selling these seats..."

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Sep 8, 2010 at 10:17 am Reason: place italics properly
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:53 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Preferred seats showing as Occupied

Looking at some random ExpertFlyer seatmaps for LGA-ORD, JFK-LHR, ORD-DFW next summer, I think the problem is that all of the Preferred seats are showing as Occupied. I see no Preferred seats available on any of those flights and the Occupied seats are in familiar patterns typically used for Preferred seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.