Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage fee to Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Baggage fee to Costa Rica?

Does AA charge baggage fees when traveling between the U.S. and Costa Rica? Their website is unclear. I do not have any status, etc. that would waive the fees.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA 2.88 MM-EXPlat, HHDiamond, SPG & Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by sushi-samba
Does AA charge baggage fees when traveling between the U.S. and Costa Rica? Their website is unclear. I do not have any status, etc. that would waive the fees.
No status, discount coach ticket?

Baggage fee.

Maybe the credit card you use has some arrangement.

Regards,

socoast
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:53 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by socoast
No status, discount coach ticket?

Baggage fee.

Maybe the credit card you use has some arrangement.

Regards,

socoast
I'm not so sure... best to call AA or shoot them an email.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had a family member fly on an AA award ticket this year, and they didn't pay for checked luggage. I'm don't recall if they had 1 or 2 bags, though.

Of the 3 airlines that I've flown on there this year, I know CO and DL did not charge for the first 2 bags. No status.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
This isn't the question you asked, but it does relate to bags at SJO:

There's a point, sometimes fairly soon after the bags begin appearing on the carousel, at which handlers begin pulling them off and lining them up on the floor. It seems such a ridiculous thing to do that quickly because it creates less space on the floor and it's not where people expect to look for their bags. Passengers are standing around the carousel watching bags come out and don't notice that some guy on the other side is pulling them off, lining them up.

Anyway, if lines are long in passport control (and that's gotten better since the new immigration hall opened), if you don't see your bags on the carousel, look next to the carousel.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sushi-samba
All AA.com says is to call reservations. Like most here on the AA forum, I am AA elite and do not have to pay bag charges, so I don't know the answer to your question.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 7:53 am

Don't know if this is still the case, but we travelled to Costa Rica in late May. One ticket was a coach milesaver award, one was a heavily-discounted paid coach ticket. I had called about baggage fees, and was told Costa Rica is considered international for fee purposes, so there would be no charge. We currently have no status on AA so that wouldn't apply.

We were not charged baggage fees in either direction. NY to SJO had a changeover in Miami. SJO to JFK was a non-stop.

I'd still suggest calling to make sure, but that was our experience.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I had a family member fly on an AA award ticket this year, and they didn't pay for checked luggage. I'm don't recall if they had 1 or 2 bags, though.

Of the 3 airlines that I've flown on there this year, I know CO and DL did not charge for the first 2 bags. No status.
I've found that AAnytime award tix, regardless of who is traveling is equivalent to booking Y tix, so 2 bags can be checked free domestic (did this for my parents, who have no AA status last year). AASaver awards get charged the baggage fees, I think.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by scnzzz
I've found that AAnytime award tix, regardless of who is traveling is equivalent to booking Y tix, so 2 bags can be checked free domestic (did this for my parents, who have no AA status last year). AASaver awards get charged the baggage fees, I think.
First this was a ticket to Costa Rica, so it was not domestic. Second, it was not a AAnytime award, but a dirt cheap 30k Supersaver.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.