Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

personal emergency may disrupt my trip! What are my options on fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

personal emergency may disrupt my trip! What are my options on fees?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
Some detailed fare rules would cover the OP if the cousin was a traveling companion; I have had such tickets issued. (Yeah, I always read the detailed fare rules before buying, and choose whether I will "self-insure", purchase TC&I insurance, or upfare.)

It used to be one could go to the AA Refunds site and enter the ticket number (not merely the PNR) and review the detailed fare conditions before actually cancelling - has anyone had recent experience with this?
In my experience discounted domestic coach tickets don't have an exception for illness, and unless the cousin was traveling, it would be a bit iffy getting an exception on a fare that did have an illness exception.
That said, the OP needs to call AA to even have a shot at it.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:01 am

Programs: AA ex-Plat
apologies, but i must have mis-read the OP.

(i thought the cousin was on the award R/T, and the OP was on the paid ticket R/T -- both traveling together. i now see that wasn't correct.)

if you're cousin is not traveling with you on the itinerary, i'm pretty sure you cannot get a medical waiver refund, etc., but it doesn't hurt to call and ask -- all they can say is "no."
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:34 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
IME, the waiver due to illness/death of family member is usually limited to immediate family + grandparents (and I presume grandchildren) and/or traveling companions.

That said, I have had waivers of change fees due to deaths of family members in a slightly larger radius (i.e. step-parents, aunts, uncles, etc.). In these cases, I have always viewed that as an exception that was granted by AA, not an entitlement....and have been extremely appreciative of it.

So, basically, give it a go, but if it doesn't go your way, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it, and you'll most likely have to eat the fees.

Good luck, and I hope that everything goes will with your cousin.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
One thought.. Extend the travel date of the award ticket as far out as possible. A schedule change might provide a free redeposit of your award
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: aadvantage, delta, continental
Thanks to all your quick responses. No my cousin isn't traveling with me. We are just a close-knit family who cares about our ownh, hence why i may cancel the trip to tend to her. AA might see that i'm losing 130.00 already and maybe lower the fee on the mile reinstatement, or i just might change the travel dates Etc. I haven't seen a credit card that helps, bu you never know (would have to check that out.) Oh, and i'm not EXP, i wish!

Jordan
Old Jul 31, 2010, 6:04 am

I'd suggest you call and ask, especially about the paid ticket. About a year ago, this happened to me, although the medical situation involved by father. My mom and dad were booked STL-RSW one-way. My wife and I were going to drive their car down to Florida, and we were booked RSW-STL one-way. The whole thing got cancelled due to a medical emergency.

I called AA (reservations gave me a number to call in DFW) and threw myself at their mercy. They agreed to issue electronic vouchers for the entire amount. No change fees. No proof of medical emergency required. These were discounted coach tickets, costing less than $150 each, so they were worthless if you had to pay the change fee. I am GLD; everyone else has no status.

It may be different for you given that it's a cousin and not a parent, but you won't know until you try. The award ticket may also be handled differently, although, as pointed out above, you can always change the date on that for free. Also, mvoight makes a great point about the schedule change -- you ought to try that before you pay the redeposit fee.

Good luck, and I hope your cousin gets better.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA- exp 8.2MM, SQ, DL, spg plat
try looking into outside insurance- but read it before you buy

The easiest and most cost effective way to deal with this is to get outside trip interruption insurance.

General policies cost about $350 year if you do a lot of international and less if you do domestic

the problem is that a sick "cousin" may not qualify as an emergency - read a policy CAREFULLY before you sign up....

Access America is a great company for this stuff!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.