Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Why am I not surprised that a partner airline has more awards for their own members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why am I not surprised that a partner airline has more awards for their own members

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Took advantgage of transferring 30,000 SPG points to AA when they had the bonus deal, for the SOLE purpose of using them with Alaska Air, one of their partners (where I live I have little choice of airlines) to fly to LAX, checked Alaska's award travel online as of i was using their points, no problem at all

Until I called AA who told me I could have the flight i wanted outgoing but not returning, even though it is available on Alaska's website, it isnt on Americans

What a waste
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:20 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Why am I not surprised?

Because you titled your thread in a most-non descriptive way, perhaps?

Cheers.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp
Because you titled your thread in a most-non descriptive way, perhaps?

Cheers.
oh, i forgot to finish that, got busy working

for years i resisted getting this card or that card to get these miles or those points, i gave in and did it recently but wasnt worth all the hassle, especially now with this
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by randys1
Took advantgage of transferring 30,000 SPG points to AA when they had the bonus deal, for the SOLE purpose of using them with Alaska Air, one of their partners (where I live I have little choice of airlines) to fly to LAX, checked Alaska's award travel online as of i was using their points, no problem at all

Until I called AA who told me I could have the flight i wanted outgoing but not returning, even though it is available on Alaska's website, it isnt on Americans

What a waste
When you called to check on availability BEFORE doing the transfer, how was it?
Are you blaming AA for what AS makes available to it

What is meant by "it is available Alaska's website, it isnt on Americans"
You aren't going by the AA website, right?
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
for years i resisted getting this card or that card to get these miles or those points, i gave in and did it recently but wasnt worth all the hassle, especially now with this
It's pretty well known (and discussed) here that those who are most successful in finding MileSAAver awards are those who have some flexibility. You indicated you had no flexibility on the return date.

It's also been discussed that some partner airlines may offer award availability to their FF members, but not when booked through partner airlines.

Nothing new here, really.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Why am I not surprised...

What a waste

... that someone leaped before looking, then posted here (without following FT rules to use a descriptive thread title) a complaint blaming the airline for the problem.

Note to OP: The bell can't be unrung nor can the points be redeposited, but to prevent the problem in the future, call AA to check availability first, put the ticket on hold if applicable, then transfer the miles/points.

Sorry, no sympathy here. The "hassle" you perceive is of your own doing. (I recognize this because I have suffered quite a few self-inflicted hassles myself over the years.) The decision is yours, of course, but with a little better planning you may find the card/point switching to be easy and worthwhile.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; Jul 28, 2010 at 5:36 pm
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
sorry to hear this... but as many FTers will tell you, award inventory is based on the airline that you plan to redeem the miles through. For instance, AS may have 5 award seats available for their members (viewable on their website), but only offer AA 3 of those seats. It makes sense for programs to take care of their own loyalty members first and then offer the inventory for partners. These are complex partner relationships with many nuances.

In the future, I'd suggest calling AA first on the phone and confirming with an agent that the inventory on the partner is available for use with AA miles. Put that itinerary on hold and THEN transfer your points and issue the tickets.

Keep checking back with AA as inventory changes frequently.

I wish that AA had an online tool for checking availability of partner awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.