Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Way To Book APAC Trip with SWU's

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, SaksFirst Plat (hey, if we're listing loyalty programmes....)
Good luck today...I booked a trip over there with SWUs back in March for an October trip and had a really hard time getting to either PEK or NRT and back with using even just one SWU (husband gave up and decided to go on miles), with a fair amount of flexibility on our end. Let us know how you fare!
Old Jul 22, 2010, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"We would like to visit" doesn't imply where you need to be if this is indeed a business trip. But as others have said, it's a very short time - I'd probably open jaw PVG and PEK from ORD and use SWUs all the way, and forget NRT - though it would be easier to find existing C class for SWU use to NRT, you will then have to travel on CS in coach and pay a relatively high fare to earn miles.

OTOH, one can get to HKG as a "swing point" for fairly low cost (again, it would require an H, B or Y fare on Dragonair to earn AA miles, so that's not what I am talking about here). Again, mere speculation, because we don't know where you need to be vs. where you would like to visit - and the three city itinerary seems to assure the most cursory of visits, and of course we know nothing about what your predilections in terms of activities or culture. One could easily spend a week on PEK (and though World Expo might be interesting, it would also likely mean higher prices in PVG than, say, after Expo ends at the end of October and there may be lots of lodging inventory available).

You are undoubtedly aware of the Chinese visa requirements, vs Hong Kong and no visa requirements...
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Plat
Called AA EXP Desk this morning and was able to get ORD-NRT on the 5th of October in Business using SWU, and coming back on the 14th from NRT using SWU as well. All other routes could not confirm today.

Knowing that, I know need to book the internal flights. My preference will be to go from NRT to PVG and then on to HKG before coming back to NRT.

For the internal flights everything looks $700+. Not sure if this is because of the one ways or because of the time of year. Can i book these legs using miles?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by GeekFLYER83
Called AA EXP Desk this morning and was able to get ORD-NRT on the 5th of October in Business using SWU, and coming back on the 14th from NRT using SWU as well. All other routes could not confirm today.

Knowing that, I know need to book the internal flights. My preference will be to go from NRT to PVG and then on to HKG before coming back to NRT.

For the internal flights everything looks $700+. Not sure if this is because of the one ways or because of the time of year. Can i book these legs using miles?
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/pa...rd_Chart.jsp#1
http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp
NRT to China would be Asia1 to Asia2
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:02 pm

If you know anyone in HK, ask your friend to check with the local travel agents. those agents might be able to find deals for you
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GeekFLYER83

I might look at skipping PEK and doing PVG instead for the World Expo. The short time frame in each city is due to this being more business than pleasure.
As someone whose lived in both cities I'd recommend that unless you have pressing business in PVG, cutting out Shanghai rather than Beijing. Shanghai, even with the world expo going on, doesn't have nearly as much to offer in terms of sightseeing/history when compared with PEK. From what I've heard, the expo is mainly about standing in long lines to see unexciting exhibits. Beijing, on the other hand, offers 2 of the world's best tourist attractions, the Great Wall and the Forbidden City, plus other attractions that are cool as well. It may also be easier to get the upgrade on PEK-ORD than on PVG-ORD these days!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.