Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Severely oversold flight with lots of kids

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Severely oversold flight with lots of kids

My kids were scheduled to leave summer camp Aug 9.

The flight TVC-ORD had been getting fuller and fuller (it is now sold out).

The reason for this is that that is the day Interlochen Summer Camp (arts school) lets out.

What would happen is I buy my 3 executive platinum kids seats (AA opens up space for executive platinum at full Y)? Somebody would need to be bumped...but they are all kids?

It seems that if there are enough executive plats trying to do this it could really cause havoc with the system.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:06 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AAaLot
My kids were scheduled to leave summer camp Aug 9.

The flight TVC-ORD had been getting fuller and fuller (it is now sold out).

The reason for this is that that is the day Interlochen Summer Camp (arts school) lets out.

What would happen is I buy my 3 executive platinum kids seats (AA opens up space for executive platinum at full Y)? Somebody would need to be bumped...but they are all kids?

It seems that if there are enough executive plats trying to do this it could really cause havoc with the system.
Given how expensive full Y is, my guess is AA rarely has this problem. And the combination of too many EXPs using the benefits AND a flight full of kids is probably something that's never happened before.

To answer your question of what would happen is would be the latest to check-in non-child pax would be IDBed in order of status starting with none.

Btw - the two flights that day are booked at 52, 50, 49 and 52 respectively. Not a severe oversell.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

FWIW, this benefit is somewhat in dispute. Yes, it is printed in the EXP member handbook, but reports have been mixed here on FT. Some agents claim it doesn't exist, or they don't know how to process this kind of request.

I would plan to travel on another day.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*

Flights that are overbooked often go out without the need to bump anyone.

I don't think the guaranteed availability benefit for EXP is used often enough to cause "havoc with the system".
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ESpen36
FWIW, this benefit is somewhat in dispute. Yes, it is printed in the EXP member handbook, but reports have been mixed here on FT. Some agents claim it doesn't exist, or they don't know how to process this kind of request.

I would plan to travel on another day.
Why roll over so easily? Its a printed benefit. Stand for your rights.

And IMHO a very lucrative one. A full Y fare is more than an IDB (and especially a VDB) in almost every market.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by ESpen36
FWIW, this benefit is somewhat in dispute.
How is it in dispute? It's a published benefit. The only problem seems to be some AAgents who don't know how it works, presumably because they don't deal with it that often.

There's more discussion about that issue here:

Problem with EXP "Guaranteed Coach Availability"

Last edited by videomaker; Jul 20, 2010 at 12:14 pm
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
It seems the OP has devised a rather nasty hypothetical situation. I agree that in practice, this is a very low probability event. There are names for people who seek to create havoc at the clear expense of others.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It seems the OP has devised a rather nasty hypothetical situation. I agree that in practice, this is a very low probability event. There are names for people who seek to create havoc at the clear expense of others.
If the kids are EXPs and he wants to spend the money to buy them all tickets at full Y, I say go right ahead. AA needs the cash.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:29 am

That's a good point. In this case, it seems there was plenty of time to purchase tickets to get the kids back from camp without using the guaranteed availability.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by videomaker
That's a good point. In this case, it seems there was plenty of time to purchase tickets to get the kids back from camp without using the guaranteed availability.
Clearly, there was a reason for waiting. No one would hold out with good cause with the intention of using the EXP Y benefit for three people. Y on that route is $753+tax one way.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: AS, BA, AA
You could look at it the opposite way: three very happy adults will have the chance to take VDBs, subsidized by OP's lack of planning.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by sts603
Clearly, there was a reason for waiting. No one would hold out with good cause with the intention of using the EXP Y benefit for three people. Y on that route is $753+tax one way.
Seems like a perfect use of an anytime award.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by nova474
Seems like a perfect use of an anytime award.
No, that wouldn't help at all on an overbooked flight. There must be seat(s) for sale. But the guaranteed EXP availability would.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by videomaker
How is it in dispute? It's a published benefit. The only problem seems to be some AAgents who don't know how it works, presumably because they don't deal with it that often.

There's more discussion about that issue here:

Problem with EXP "Guaranteed Coach Availability"
That link seems to be pointing to the wrong thread, namely to one about JFK connection times: "http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1082799-jfk-connection-times-issues-suggestions-consolidated.html".
Old Jul 20, 2010, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by stheller
That link seems to be pointing to the wrong thread, namely to one about JFK connection times: "http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-aadvantage/1082799-jfk-connection-times-issues-suggestions-consolidated.html".
Oops. Fixed now, thanks for catching that. And here's the correct link, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.