Wiki Posts
Search

Buying Mileage & Posting Date

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, AA
Buying Mileage & Posting Date

I'm planning a spur of the moment trip back to the US. I have roughly 14,000 miles earned and realize that I'll need to purchase roughly 36,000 in order to claim a business class one-way ticket from NRT-JFK.

Basically, the question is if I purchase miles from AA, is the posting instantaneous? Can I hold an award ticket, buy the miles, and then redeem the award?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by YaZhouXianSheng
Basically, the question is if I purchase miles from AA, is the posting instantaneous? Can I hold an award ticket, buy the miles, and then redeem the award?
Have you checked AA's website on purchasing miles? It says they will post within 72 hours, though reports here indicate it could be much quicker. That does not include any bonus miles, which take much longer to post.

No reason you couldn't put a ticket on hold, get the miles you need, and then redeem.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by videomaker
they will post within 72 hours, though reports here indicate it could be much quicker.
I bought some a couple of months ago, and they took about a day to post... FWIW.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, SPG GLD
I purchased on May 30th 12:46 PM and they posted the next day at 9:05AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX, AA
Thanks for the response. I'll see how this turns out.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:51 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I learned a couple of months ago that you can purchase the miles online, record the transaction # and then call in to book your ticket. If you provide them the purchase transaction #, they will issue the ticket on the spot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.