Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals Club newspaper theft

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2010, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Lifetime,
Admirals Club newspaper theft

This may be covered elsewhere, But I wasn't sure what to topic put it under.

At 7:15 this morning I was in the big K-H ORD Admirals Club when I watched as a well dressed man pulled the NY Times and the WSJ off the "Library Bars" that hold the papers.

At first I thought it was just because it was easier to read the paper without the bar. I watched him disapprovingly as he did this since the papers are on the bars specifially to keep them in the club. But NO, he took the papers, folded them and then left the club.

I gave him the hairy eyeball while he was doing this. I mean come on you can't pop for the $3.50 for the 2 papers. And its one thing to take the paper at 8:00 PM when you are on a late flight and most of the traffic is gone for the day, but at 7:15 AM?

Did I handle this correctly?
Have others encountered this?
What else should I have done?
I didn't think I should make a scene, but what a rude thing to do.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Most airline lounges have papers that you're free to take. I guess he really wanted them. Personally, other than giving him a tsk, tsk, tsk, I would just go on with my life.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: A few
<redacted> Taking $2 worth of "news" papers is about the only way to justify cost of AC over a year

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 2010 at 7:57 pm Reason: Inappropriate for FlyerTalk - Rules #87
Old May 5, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
The world is just full of twits.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Who cares.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Who cares.
Probably all the people later that day that would have liked to read the newspaper and expected it to be there as an amenity of the club.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:39 pm

I always thought the bars were on the papers to prevent you from taking them into the bathroom.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Steve M
Probably all the people later that day that would have liked to read the newspaper and expected it to be there as an amenity of the club.
It doesn't appear he took *all* of the newspapers.
Old May 5, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum
Must be a common occurrence to take newspapers from the AC. The guy sitting next to me in a flight from DFW this morning had both the WSJ and USA Today, prominently displaying the AC sticker.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by ord1963
This may be covered elsewhere, But I wasn't sure what to topic put it under.

At 7:15 this morning I was in the big K-H ORD Admirals Club when I watched as a well dressed man pulled the NY Times and the WSJ off the "Library Bars" that hold the papers.

At first I thought it was just because it was easier to read the paper without the bar. I watched him disapprovingly as he did this since the papers are on the bars specifially to keep them in the club. But NO, he took the papers, folded them and then left the club.

I gave him the hairy eyeball while he was doing this. I mean come on you can't pop for the $3.50 for the 2 papers. And its one thing to take the paper at 8:00 PM when you are on a late flight and most of the traffic is gone for the day, but at 7:15 AM?

Did I handle this correctly?
Have others encountered this?
What else should I have done?
I didn't think I should make a scene, but what a rude thing to do.
I always bring my own WSJ ex ORD so this is not an issue for me. The G AC has plenty papers available.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:03 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
<redacted> Taking $2 worth of "news" papers is about the only way to justify cost of AC over a year
Wrong answer. Someone taking the papers may only cost the AC a few bucks, but it's discourteous to the other members who might want to read those papers. So, screw the AC all you want, but it's inappropriate to suggest that someone "get a life" when they're looking out for other members.

I'm also sorry that your AC experiences have been so bad that you feel this is the only way to get value. I've received great help in IRROPS cases, including spontaneous rescheduling of international flights with upgrades intact within about 5 minutes of their noticing a problem that it's paid for itself several times over. I don't feel the need to filch papers to the detriment of others to justify my purchase.

Cheers.

Last edited by JDiver; May 5, 2010 at 7:55 pm Reason: deleted redacted comment
Old May 5, 2010, 6:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
My response to why people do things like this is always either out of ignorance or arrogance.
For frequent travelers, often the papers in hotels and such are free, so I could see someone truly not aware, but more than likely it is arrogance and they just care about themselves.

It always seems that the person who does this is the fifty year old businessman yapping on his blue-tooth, crowding around the gate prior to boarding, who wants everyone know just how important he is.
Old May 5, 2010, 6:22 pm

The real tragedy here isn't that he stole the newspapers.

The tragedy is that he reads the WSJ, which is a practice that has been proven to be hazardous to your stock portfolio!
Old May 5, 2010, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lobo411
The tragedy is that he reads the WSJ, which is a practice that has been proven to be hazardous to your stock portfolio!
Would you suggest flyertalk instead?
Old May 5, 2010, 7:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
"Well dressed" doesn't mean "well educated" and doesn't preclude "cheap and sleazy". One wonders if his house has hotel bathrobes and towels, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.