FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Spirit Charging for Carry-ons. Will AA Follow? (Speculation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1071291-spirit-charging-carry-ons-will-aa-follow-speculation.html)

Goin-2-AA Apr 7, 2010 7:52 pm

They can 'value price' the lavs!!

Originally Posted by FewMiles (Post 13725007)
At some point, airlines will start weighing passengers. (Passenger + baggage) weight allowance.

The jockey business model.

JumboD Apr 7, 2010 8:22 pm

I see no mention of those (few) flying in Spirit's business class being exempt from this fee. Does that mean that even those up front will pay?

yule_boy Apr 7, 2010 10:14 pm

Flying from Canada to the US last month I paid only $15 for a checked bag, but I see it has been raised to $25.

At least our dollar here seems headed higher than the US, so that increase won't seem quite as bad. ;)

El Miameņo Apr 7, 2010 10:41 pm

<redacted>

On a serious note, isn't the idea to price carry-ons higher than checked bags, so people will opt for checking bags?

I don't think this is as much about a new, incremental revenue stream as it is about trying to dive more business to an existing channel (checked bag fees). Result is revenue uplift and faster boarding times (OTDs).

No?

midnightio Apr 8, 2010 12:25 am

Too many fees. Lowering the cost of the tickets but increases the surcharges. Stop with the games.

JumboD Apr 8, 2010 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by midnightio (Post 13731478)
Too many fees. Lowering the cost of the tickets but increases the surcharges. Stop with the games.

Agreed. I a better idea would be to keep the ticket prices where they'd need to be in order to allow one checked bag for free and the two carry-ons most are accustomed to, and then offering people a $20 voucher for each of those three items they don't bring. Achieves the same goal, but much more positive PR. When you check in w/o bags you get handed one. When you board w/o carry-on you are handed another. When redeeming, there can be a limit of 2 per ticket.

869 Apr 8, 2010 9:54 pm

this thread makes me sick. Give me this, give me that. FREE! heaven forbid an airline attempt to not lose money...

WRCSolberg Apr 8, 2010 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by 869 (Post 13737679)
this thread makes me sick. Give me this, give me that. FREE! heaven forbid an airline attempt to not lose money...

You must not travel with any luggage at all, huh? :rolleyes:

JoeBagodonuts Apr 9, 2010 4:08 am

Originally Posted by 869 (Post 13737679)

so tell me then, how do you travel?

Do you?
check bags
carry on
ship
wear the same one thing every day

maye if you and-or the company you work for want the airline to not lose money, you can buy full Y/J/F every time you buy a ticket, that would be much healthier for the airline

you need to do your part too

Umrswimr Apr 9, 2010 6:46 am

Originally Posted by JoeBagodonuts (Post 13738654)
so tell me then, how do you travel?

Do you?
check bags
carry on
ship
wear the same one thing every day

maye if you and-or the company you work for want the airline to not lose money, you can buy full Y/J/F every time you buy a ticket, that would be much healthier for the airline

you need to do your part too

Mine does, actually. Every ticket I buy for business travel is Y class. I have no idea how the cost model supports that, but that's how the travel agency is configured!

Back on topic:

I think the checked baggage fee has turned boarding the plane into a giant <redacted>. I saw a guy carry a hockey bag onto the plane and expect it to fit. You could have fit a body in that thing. And the GA let him on???

Charging for carry-on bags would help relieve some of that mess, but I really think it would push everyone over to WM. I know if I wasn't exempt I would be looking for other options ASAP. As it is, I think WM offers a comparable overall experience to AA if you're non-elite. Yes, the board process is lame, but it works. And you can pay to go first if you want. Their planes seem to be on time MUCH more often and their staff is a lot more friendly. Alas- WM from Dallas is unacceptably complicated. Anything more than a short hop to a neighboring state requires a connection. For me, it's not worth the hassle. I know may elites use the connection games for the miles, but I loathe wasting time at airports and the potential for missed connections. Give me NS anyday.

However- the fee game really has increased my AA loyalty. Not having to pay bag fees and getting on the plane first is a perk that I am not interested in giving up anytime soon.

tegelad Apr 9, 2010 7:14 am

+1 ... I have had to help people get their baggage in and/or store it right just so we could have a pseudo-chance of getting off the ground.

Or my other favorite ... even when in FC lately, if I come late due to a connection issue, it is a struggle sometimes to get my stuff into the overhead bin ...

+-ADT

Originally Posted by Umrswimr (Post 13739052)
Mine does, actually. Every ticket I buy for business travel is Y class. I have no idea how the cost model supports that, but that's how the travel agency is configured!

Back on topic:

I think the checked baggage fee has turned boarding the plane into a giant clusterf**k. I saw a guy carry a hockey bag onto the plane and expect it to fit. You could have fit a body in that thing. And the GA let him on???

Charging for carry-on bags would help relieve some of that mess, but I really think it would push everyone over to WM. I know if I wasn't exempt I would be looking for other options ASAP. As it is, I think WM offers a comparable overall experience to AA if you're non-elite. Yes, the board process is lame, but it works. And you can pay to go first if you want. Their planes seem to be on time MUCH more often and their staff is a lot more friendly. Alas- WM from Dallas is unacceptably complicated. Anything more than a short hop to a neighboring state requires a connection. For me, it's not worth the hassle. I know may elites use the connection games for the miles, but I loathe wasting time at airports and the potential for missed connections. Give me NS anyday.

However- the fee game really has increased my AA loyalty. Not having to pay bag fees and getting on the plane first is a perk that I am not interested in giving up anytime soon.

videomaker Apr 9, 2010 7:59 am

Originally Posted by tegelad (Post 13739180)
+1 ... I have had to help people get their baggage in and/or store it right just so we could have a pseudo-chance of getting off the ground.

It's not my responsibility to stow someone else's carry-on. If they can't make it fit in a reasonable amount of time, an FA can carry it off the plane.

jbcarioca Apr 9, 2010 8:11 am

This thread is more fun that the other speculations. Of course AA will never do this, just as it will not work for Spirit.

That is my speculation.

vrbaba Apr 9, 2010 8:21 am

OT:

I think they should start doing a lot more valet checking. Increased in checked baggage may result in more lost baggage claims, inconvenience frequent flyers, etc. I do not mind valet checking my bag at all like AE. I see more pros than cons in that approach. Only thing I see is they may need more manpower, or just more time for the existing ones to valet check more bags.

thedoorchick Apr 9, 2010 9:36 am

I think the checked baggage fee has turned boarding the plane into a giant [redacted]. I saw a guy carry a hockey bag onto the plane and expect it to fit. You could have fit a body in that thing. And the GA let him on???
I do think that GAs should better police obvious departures from carry-on policy such as that. Some bags could be argued to be in a gray area but many are not.

I haven't noticed significantly more carry-ons since the bag fees were implemented, but everyone's MMV. What I have noticed is plenty of complaining about the fees from people who nevertheless just suck it up and pay them. Most people I know in my personal life haven't changed their traveling M.O. with regard to luggage. I know I haven't. I've carried on for pretty much all my adult life, just because I like to keep things simple and travel light.