FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Spirit Charging for Carry-ons. Will AA Follow? (Speculation) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1071291-spirit-charging-carry-ons-will-aa-follow-speculation.html)

PDX-PLT Apr 6, 2010 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by chollie (Post 13719899)
This could be a boon for ScottEvest...

Or for diaper bag sales. Or pet carriers. ;)

Score8 Apr 6, 2010 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by PDX-PLT (Post 13720497)
Or for diaper bag sales. Or pet carriers. ;)

"Yes, that's correct sir, among my suit, undergarments and workout clothes is a pet mouse, which entitles me to carry on this cage full of mostly clothes without a fee."

farrish11 Apr 6, 2010 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 13719926)
...part of the reason the coach and non-elite experience sucks on AA (and many other pre-deregulation airlines) is because of the existence of elites and loyalty programs. You have to have something to distinguish them from hoi polloi, so the argument becomes a case of socking the infrequent/less frequent traveler first...

This is the tail wagging the dog. As an example, checked bag fees were not instituted to differentiate between elites and kettles. Checked bag fees were introduced as a revenue grab, and elites were merely exempted to prevent their defection.

WChou Apr 6, 2010 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by paseom2 (Post 13720327)
Taking a page from the Ryanair playbook indeed.

Beat me to it. I have heard stories of all sorts of ways to get around FR's low carry-on allowance. People would stuff underwear and socks in their pockets, wear two or three pairs of pants, and larger people have smaller people wear extra shirts. I have even heard of someone tucking in his shirt and then stuffing clothing down the front. The aviation version of the "beer belly" beverage holder for sneaking booze into public events.

Any move toward charging for carry-on will simply push more business toward WN and make the jobs of GAs and FAs much harder. I'm sure elites will be exempt but status does no good there is no airline around to use it.

Abidjan Apr 6, 2010 1:06 pm

Maybe place it inside a pizza box, as "food for immediate consumption" is allowed. ;)

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 13720021)
So, if you have a 17" laptop, as I do, you can't carry it on? Just try and stop me.

Eye of Storm Apr 6, 2010 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by farrish11 (Post 13720615)
This is the tail wagging the dog. As an example, checked bag fees were not instituted to differentiate between elites and kettles. Checked bag fees were introduced as a revenue grab, and elites were merely exempted to prevent their defection.

I must admit that I read this specific post a little too quickly, and in doing so, I misread the final word to have an extra vowel between the "c" and the "t". The really funny thing is that the post would have meant approximately the same thing either way!

Mr.Ushooz Apr 6, 2010 5:28 pm

This make business sense to me. I've flown on 70+ different carriers around the world in the past few years, and it takes 3 times longer to fully board a plane in the U.S. than it does a similar sized plane overseas. That's because Americans carry so much cr*p on the plane with them, have to find space to cram it, haul it down the isle bashing people already seated as they go, etc. Spirit is probably trying to shave 10 minutes off the boarding time. Do that on 4 to 5 short flights per day, and you might be able to squeeze in an extra flight with the aircraft in your schedule, thus maximizing revenue.

Goin-2-AA Apr 6, 2010 5:36 pm

But I have nice neighbors

Where is the enforcement point? At the gate....?? GAs taking money on the spot? All this borders on lunacy and I should know since I live there.

stu52 Apr 6, 2010 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA (Post 13722550)
Where is the enforcement point? At the gate....?? GAs taking money on the spot? All this borders on lunacy and I should know since I live there.

yeah...and if that's the case, just think how long the boarding process will be! :eek:

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Apr 6, 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by Goin-2-AA (Post 13722550)

And what happens when Fred Ziffle tells the GA he does not have the $135 to pay for his, Doris, and Arnold's bags (and not enough money in his bank account for a debit card and no credit card with that much available credit, and don't laugh, there are far more people in that position than most of us realize). Like I say, will be lots of fun to watch a Spirit boarding after August 1.

tegelad Apr 6, 2010 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 13722800)
And what happens when Fred Ziffle tells the GA he does not have the $135 to pay for his, Doris, and Arnold's bags (and not enough money in his bank account for a debit card and no credit card with that much available credit, and don't laugh, there are far more people in that position than most of us realize). Like I say, will be lots of fun to watch a Spirit boarding after August 1.

:D (On a light note) I am picturing Indiana Jones in the 3rd movie ... "tickets please scene on the zeppelin" ...

As to the OP .... nothing makes things more efficient (esp. with bags) then making folks pay $$$ for it. It makes me glad as a frequent traveler to see the ultra cheap fare folks have to pay for it (with the cavaet that elites are free). Plus ... the TSA lines may get alot better since the non-experienced folks can actually get processed more effectively ... It would make my weekly "festivus" a little bit more bearable then dealing with the family of 4-6 that jams up the works (which happens alot ... [sigh ... so miss the clear lines])

Frankly, folks that are "complaining" about the fees should understand that the airlines is a business, and that their are considerable infrastructure costs to bear (oil/plane maintenance/FAA regs) ... and that their rights are for their travel rights ... not their baggage shipping service .... so given their propensity to be cheap ... be prepared for extra fees to counter balance the revenue arguement ....

I do understand about folks feeling screwed about the costs ... but this is the name of the game when you make judgements on items based purely on cost .... sometimes the cheapest fare isn't .... (and for those that jump to WN/B6 .... a surge of demand will make those airlines ticket prices go up considerably ... since I have seen that their prices are not much different then the mainline in alot of cities ....)

elitetraveler Apr 6, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm sure AA management is excited to see if Spirit can pull it off, then hoping US or DL follow suit. If Spirit makes it work, money says within three years all the legacies are doing it.

Non-NonRev Apr 6, 2010 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge (Post 13722800)
And what happens when Fred Ziffle tells the GA he does not have the $135 to pay for his, Doris, and Arnold's bags

Actually, Fred will just turn to Arnold, who will have dipped his snout into Sam Drucker's till for some petty cash before leaving for the airport. :D

Like I say, will be lots of fun to watch a Spirit boarding after August 1.
A young lady that works at my company moonlights as a GA at Spirit in FLL. She has told me some horror stories about the pax reacting to fees - I'm sure that she's NOT looking forward to August.

thedoorchick Apr 6, 2010 8:53 pm

The fee applies to carry-ons to be placed in overhead bins
The first thing I started wondering about when I read this was, what about someone who claims their carry-ons are all to fit under the seat, then places them in the overhead bin anyway? Is the FA to then collect the fee after boarding?

Probably a somewhat silly question, as I realize this is doubtless intended for rollaboards and the like, but the issue of who/what decides which bags require a fee and which are free, is a very real one. There can be quite a fine line. I have a travel bag which is clearly not a computer bag, briefcase, or tote - it's a real overnight bag, but can easily fit under a seat. I could see someone arguing that as it's not a "personal item," it would require the fee.

TrojanHorse Apr 6, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm beginning to think that the FAA (or whatever govt agency this falls under) needs to define what is included in a ticket price once and for all then airlines can do some positive marketing (as opposed to negative.. lets charge for this and that) by saying.. and we will throw in a, b, c rather than charge for a, b, c.. and by defining whats included in a ticket.. we all will know what at a minimum we will always expect to have when we purchase a ticket

Never even considered spirit and this sure will not get me any closer to it

at some point, there is the price point where shipping is cheaper and less of a hassle

finally, those WN commercials are going to need a few more guys to say bags & carryon's fly free