Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Spirit Charging for Carry-ons. Will AA Follow? (Speculation)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Mr.Ushooz
This make business sense to me. I've flown on 70+ different carriers around the world in the past few years, and it takes 3 times longer to fully board a plane in the U.S. than it does a similar sized plane overseas. That's because Americans carry so much cr*p on the plane with them, have to find space to cram it, haul it down the isle bashing people already seated as they go, etc. Spirit is probably trying to shave 10 minutes off the boarding time. Do that on 4 to 5 short flights per day, and you might be able to squeeze in an extra flight with the aircraft in your schedule, thus maximizing revenue.
I'd love to check my rollaboard so I can board more quickly, but I'd rather save the $50 round-trip.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Mr.Ushooz
Spirit is probably trying to shave 10 minutes off the boarding time. Do that on 4 to 5 short flights per day, and you might be able to squeeze in an extra flight with the aircraft in your schedule, thus maximizing revenue.
First, I don't think AA will follow suit in charging for carry-ons.

And I'm not sure Spirit's fleet is large enough to see any huge benefits from shaving a few minutes off boarding time, if that does actually happen. IMO, it's a revenue generator, pure and simple.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
At some point, airlines will start weighing passengers. (Passenger + baggage) weight allowance.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thedoorchick
The first thing I started wondering about when I read this was, what about someone who claims their carry-ons are all to fit under the seat, then places them in the overhead bin anyway? Is the FA to then collect the fee after boarding?
They could require a special bag tag that must be visible on the bag when it is the bin. They could hand them out at check-in, at boarding, or let you print them at home (like some cruise lines let you print out your cabin bag tags). I guess jackets would have to be exempt.

Probably a somewhat silly question, as I realize this is doubtless intended for rollaboards and the like, but the issue of who/what decides which bags require a fee and which are free, is a very real one. There can be quite a fine line. I have a travel bag which is clearly not a computer bag, briefcase, or tote - it's a real overnight bag, but can easily fit under a seat. I could see someone arguing that as it's not a "personal item," it would require the fee.
I haven't been following all the discussion of this on the Spirit forum (I assume there's a Spirit forum and I assume there's discussion), but I assume they'll have a sizer and if the bag fits, then it's a personal item and if not then you have to pay. Though what makes sense to me is to charge the fee for any bag you want to put in the overhead and allow any bag that fits under the seat in front free. After all, your base ticket purchase should entitle you to use the space in and around your seat as you see fit, subject to FAA regulations. Your base ticket does not have to entitle you to space in the overheads.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by videomaker
First, I don't think AA will follow suit in charging for carry-ons.

And I'm not sure Spirit's fleet is large enough to see any huge benefits from shaving a few minutes off boarding time, if that does actually happen. IMO, it's a revenue generator, pure and simple.

My take is if Spirit can get away with less with no real backlash (other than lots of bad media) and oil continues its slow but steady upward price one of the legacies will go with this and then of course all the legacies will. That $20-$45 per bag will start to look like very attractive to airlines if oil hits over
$90, bad press be damn.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:05 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
I wouldn't be surprised if the legacies eventually adopt this, although I'd expect AA to exempt Plat/ExPlat and anyone in F or C.

Meanwhile WN seems to be going nicely without charging to check a bag, and as a result they seem to have fewer problems with carry-on's... which helps them turn around aircraft faster.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MR Gold, HH Silver
Nickeling and diming your customers is not a sustainable business model. Spirit will probably be out of business in a few years. Have you ever check the cost of their flights? They are not cheap by any means. Case in point, R/T between BOS and LAX on Spirit is $581 vs $504 on AA. Tack on the charges for baggage, $50 R/T and you have to start questioning why even fly Spirit.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Er, they offer more than one class of service, lounges, intercontinental flights?

As for domestic coach, it never was what some crack it up to be; I was there when it was invented. (Shoot, even the so-called "First Class" cabins in the so-called old days were uncomfortable for most - better food, etc. but costs were kept artificially high and were rigidly controlled by the government, so meal and cabin services were the differentiating factors.

The people voted with their wallet again and again - they don't want service, or MRTC - they want cheap. Now airlines are unbundling what people thought was the flight experience, and the only question is how far the legacies will go. FR certainly leads the way - the unbundled a la carte stuff can cost much more than the actual so-called fare.

How far will AA go? It will depend on this current "I'll look at you whilst you look at me" method of airlines proceeding to change fares and service concepts, and what passengers will allow. The day when the DOT will step in like the CAB of old and regulate to a fine point is probably - over.

Fortunately, I can use the LCCs on some shorter routes, and use AA (or other legacies) for intercontinental and longer routes - as an FF I personally do prefer them to WN/VX/B6 with their better Y cabin (well, in many cases) and limitations. (Not to mention, have you noticed unbundling at WN? Fees for preferential boarding and early seating, etc. Guess what else is coming?)

Originally Posted by holtju2
Differentiating significantly by providing worse service/product than US LCC's WN/VX/B6?
Originally Posted by Halo117
Please explain your statement. What does AA do that is "significantly" different from the likes of WN and B6?

Your right AA differs significantly so much that a couple weeks back I started the thread of "why should non FFs choose AA in Y". Most responses came back with sadness for the demise of AAs Y product domestically speaking.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
...part of the reason the coach and non-elite experience sucks on AA (and many other pre-deregulation airlines) is because of the existence of elites and loyalty programs. You have to have something to distinguish them from hoi polloi, so the argument becomes a case of socking the infrequent/less frequent traveler first...
Originally Posted by farrish11
This is the tail wagging the dog. As an example, checked bag fees were not instituted to differentiate between elites and kettles. Checked bag fees were introduced as a revenue grab, and elites were merely exempted to prevent their defection.
eponymous_coward, I apologize - it looks like you were right and I was wrong. In an interview linked in this thread by miamigrad, Cory Garner, AA's Director of Merchandising Strategy, says:

How have frequent flyers reacted to changes [re unbundling], thus far?

Positively. Now that there is a price tag associated with many of the services that our most frequent flyers receive for free, it is becoming easier to place a value on maintaining loyalty to a single carrier. Unbundling has given us a new way to reward customers for their loyalty, and I think that has paid off for both them and us.
(emphasis added)
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA,DL
!!!!!

Last edited by elpi; Apr 7, 2010 at 4:16 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by farrish11
In an interview linked in this thread by miamigrad, Cory Garner, AA's Director of Merchandising Strategy, says:

(emphasis added)
Quote:
How have frequent flyers reacted to changes [re unbundling], thus far?

Positively. Now that there is a price tag associated with many of the services that our most frequent flyers receive for free, it is becoming easier to place a value on maintaining loyalty to a single carrier. Unbundling has given us a new way to reward customers for their loyalty, and I think that has paid off for both them and us.
You know, that's an interesting point. When elite members get some of the unbundled extras free, it does put a value on loyalty. A gold member who checks two bags saves $120 on a round trip, which is significant. I can see how that encourages loyalty--someone might make more effort to fly AA to gain status and avoid some extra fees, rather than flying other carriers if their fares happen to be a few bucks cheaper. So it becomes a revenue stream when passengers don't have status, and also encourages loyalty.

Still, I don't see AA going with Spirit's charge for carry-ons. If it was an airline besides Spirit starting it, I might have a different opinion.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Well, I have to say that seemed pretty self-evident to me. Part of the way to reward elites is to spare them from the crappy experience you dole out to everyone else.

The problem is, if you fly a legacy that punishes you for not flying them frequently... what's the incentive to fly them frequently? Which leads to...

How far will AA go? It will depend on this current "I'll look at you whilst you look at me" method of airlines proceeding to change fares and service concepts, and what passengers will allow. The day when the DOT will step in like the CAB of old and regulate to a fine point is probably - over.
The thing is, though, that WN and B6 may be demonstrating the lower bounds of the coach experience, by consciously going "nope, this far, but not farther", and may well be profiting by it. (For reference, B6 has implemented MRTC, and succeeded with it... they just didn't bother with the F cabin.)

Also: yes, indeed, AA does provide intercontinental service. The problem is a lot of that service depends on them competing with WN/B6/VX et. al. in the domestic market, and thus they have to provide a domestic coach product. I guess the question is: how far can you degrade it before you lose so much domestic traffic to competitors who offer better coach experiences you're in a death spiral?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA,DL
I hope AA will follow with fee like 99 dollars.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:13 pm

I agree, I am an exec plat., it's great not to have to worry about anything relative to that. Loyalty should be rewarded!!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 6:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver

As for domestic coach, it never was what some crack it up to be; I was there when it was invented. (Shoot, even the so-called "First Class" cabins in the so-called old days were uncomfortable for most - better food, etc. but costs were kept artificially high and were rigidly controlled by the government, so meal and cabin services were the differentiating factors.
Actually during the 70s there was sort of a Glory Days era for domestic coach. Load factor was just over 50 percent back then and AA, EA, CO, TW, DL, PSA, UA etc were using 747s, L1011s and DC10s on a number of major and not so major domestic routes. The meal service was really very good, the drinks were free. Pitch I think was 34-36 inches (yes the seats were thicker) but I sort of remember 747s with 2-4-3 in Y and 2-4-2 on either L1011s or D10s - not 100 percent sure. But you were basically guaranteed an empty seat next to you. And to top it off, there were upper deck lounges on the 747s and I know AA had Y lounges in the back of the 10s or 747s, and I think TW had Y lounges as well.

I would say your take is more reflective of the early 707s and DC8s in the 60s. It was definitely much better in Y in the 70s than today. And of course the airport experience was a breeze for the most part.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.