Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Impact of Y & B Fares on EXP and 500-mile Sticker Upgrade Priority (eSummary email)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Impact of Y & B Fares on EXP and 500-mile Sticker Upgrade Priority (eSummary email)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS, BA, AA
Originally Posted by beerup
If upgrades consistently come at T-4, for example, what difference does it make to you if the window opens at T4, T-100 or even T-400?
It saves me 96 or 396 hours of obsessive-compulsive checking to see if my upgrade has cleared!!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
What I found interesting about the info in http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu..._Mktg_Page.htm, was the part about getting moved to the airport list for upgrades. It states this can't be done at curbside. I have never used curbside, so this doesn't affect me, but it seems like an odd restriction.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I am reading the message but it is not totally clear on the priority of SWUs clearing.

Is it correct to assume that on international flights they clear in a manner similar to 500 mile stickers?

Something like this:

Coach->Business

a. EXPs paying Y or B
b. All other EXPs
c. PLTs who receive a SWU from a friend, with Y and B fares clearing first.
d. GLDs who receive a SWU from a friend, with Y and B fares clearing first
e. Well connected Kettles who receive a SWU from a friend, with Y and B fares clearing first
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by caligirlatheart
Yes, I got my email with similar information for Platinums this afternoon.
I got one last night, which I haven't fully digested, since it was after I left the office and AA emails are a little hard to read on my Blackberry. What I could gather from it is the same as others are saying - not really any news to write home about.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
Tritto. Nothing at all in any way new here.
I take it back. What is new (at least new to me) is that the dreaded O-fare-to-Latin-America exception to eVIP usage has vanished, both in this material and in the new Executive Platinum manual. This is a very good thing, as that was a trap waiting to spring on the unwary.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:39 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by eightmillionmiler
In particular, the email sends me to a page (http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu..._Mktg_Page.htm) that includes this interesting phrase "Within each elite level, Full-Fare Economy Class tickets booked in Y or B are confirmed first, then all other fares, in the order in which the upgrade request was received"
Here's the Plat equivalent: http://www.aa.com/content/images/eSu..._Mktg_Page.htm. Agreed that this is nothing new to FT understanding, though I think it's the clearest, most concise explanation I've seen directly from AA.

My upgrade for tomorrow (first requested as Plat and first period in several months) cleared at T-72. I suppose that's kind of nice, but I don't really care. The only time I really care to know at least 12-24 hours in advance is a domestic sticker upgrade request connecting from international coach; it's nice to know about the upgrade at check-in.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
Folks, this is NOTHING. I repeat NOTHING new. Don't get all caught up in euphoria and think you've had an epiphany.
Ditto. I got the email and didn't think anything of it. AA has for the past year at least (according to an EXP agent) been clearing full fare tickets before discounted regardless of their date stamp.

As long as I get my upgrade I'm happy. I only missed one segment last year, and have cleared all this year (I missed one short haul by choice as I stood by for an earlier flight).

I'd like to have it at T-100, but I recognize AA is a business and would like to fill as many of the F/J seats with higher fares.

Could this perhaps have been sent out because the EXP desk has been getting many calls inquiring about the status of wait listed SWU or sticker upgrades that have not cleared at T-100?

Also, have any GLD/PLTs received a similar email explaining their respective upgrade privileges?
I agree this is not new. I fly a fair number of B tickets and they often upgrade immediately even when I change flights ( I get them when I think it is likely I may want to change my schedule ) and the new flight has no upgrade inventory showing on EF.

Last edited by GadgetFreak; Mar 27, 2010 at 8:01 am
Old Mar 27, 2010, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
I take it back. What is new (at least new to me) is that the dreaded O-fare-to-Latin-America exception to eVIP usage has vanished, both in this material and in the new Executive Platinum manual. This is a very good thing, as that was a trap waiting to spring on the unwary.
The O fare trap is still there, but you're confusing the "no SWU on I, O and Q" restriction (that was lifted last year) with the "no miles earned" restriction on O fares to Latin America which is still in effect.

What is new about this email and new chart is that this is the first AA communication to customers on the website that Y and B have priority over all other fare classes. It's been the rule for quite some time, but one AA has kept relatively quiet. It still didn't make the EXP member guide released earlier this month.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:23 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA

What is new about this email and new chart is that this is the first AA communication to customers on the website that Y and B have priority over all other fare classes. It's been the rule for quite some time, but one AA has kept relatively quiet. It still didn't make the EXP member guide released earlier this month.
Exactly, this is nothing new. It's just that it's now official rather than the realm of "rumor" and "speculation" on FT. As someone who never buys Y/B, I think that this is a completely reasonable policy.

http://www.travelingbetter.com/forum...ead.php?t=3036

Cheers.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gamecock
I am reading the message but it is not totally clear on the priority of SWUs clearing.

Is it correct to assume that on international flights they clear in a manner similar to 500 mile stickers?
There's no hint in the email or new chart that Y/B fares have any priority for SWU upgrades, so I don't think it's a safe assumption.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The O fare trap is still there, but you're confusing the "no SWU on I, O and Q" restriction (that was lifted last year) with the "no miles earned" restriction on O fares to Latin America which is still in effect.
You're right, my bad. Memo to self - more coffee needed.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
There's no hint in the email or new chart that Y/B fares have any priority for SWU upgrades, so I don't think it's a safe assumption.
Wait, I thought that is what the email said???
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Indeed there is nothing new here regarding Y/B fares having greater priority for sticker upgrades. I distinctly remember having this conversation with a very well versed EXP agent at least 1 1/2 to 2 years ago. I remember the conversation because it was about AA not sorting upgrade priority based on fair paid.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:45 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
I think this is only fair. You pay more, you get more. Now, I have a question about connecting through a hub city and requesting an upgrade at the airport. If an EXP connects thru DFW from another city (eg. SFO-DFW-MIA) and paid a cheap fare, am I correct to think that this person has a higher priority on the DFW-MIA flight over any other EXP who originates at DFW and paid a Y/B fare because the connecting EXP is a THROUGH pax?
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aw
I think this is only fair. You pay more, you get more. Now, I have a question about connecting through a hub city and requesting an upgrade at the airport. If an EXP connects thru DFW from another city (eg. SFO-DFW-MIA) and paid a cheap fare, am I correct to think that this person has a higher priority on the DFW-MIA flight over any other EXP who originates at DFW and paid a Y/B fare because the connecting EXP is a THROUGH pax?
There are two different protocols, one before the flight goes to airport control, and one after. Before it goes to airport control, a through pax not in Y/B has priority over an originating pax with Y/B. While we think it is the same after, we don't know for sure. More details here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.