Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Free Upgrade to Gold / GLD for Select AAdvantage Members (AANGL)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: Free Upgrade to Gold / GLD for Select AAdvantage Members (AANGL)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by videomaker
I know AA's IT system isn't exactly leading edge. But I find it hard to believe they would allow thousands of people (anyone without status, basically) not targeted for this promotion to get GLD free.

But let us know how it works out for you.
I totally agree.

It's also important to note that I had no status (i.e. no Gold). I have been Gold and Plat in past, but that was 5-8 years ago. I've been a member since '93 and have 550k lifetime miles. I got my 23,928 miles from May-Dec/09. So, I really have no idea what combination of criteria were used to target me. But I'm not complaining...

Last edited by DallasBill; Mar 5, 2010 at 2:56 pm Reason: Had incorrect 2009 mileage total
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I didn't receive this offer but at the same time I didn't receive an error message when signing up at the link. Has anybody else tried doing this without being targeted and been successful? I was ready to sign up for a challenge (unsure Gold or Plat yet) but I guess now I'll wait and see if my status upgrades anytime soon...
+1 Just did it for the Mrs. who just lost GLD status. We'll see what happens.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DallasBill
I got my +24k miles from May-Dec/09. So, I really have no idea what combination of criteria were used to target me. But I'm not complaining...
I'm going to guess your flying patterns were the reason you were targeted and that makes sense.

I think those who didn't get the e-mail--and tried to register anyway--are going to be disappointed when nothing happens. I could be wrong.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
My kids fell from GLD as of Monday, so I tried it too.

I'm not expecting anything soon -- remember, we're dealing with the people who give "batch processing" a bad name!
Old Mar 4, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by brosnan6
I didn't receive this offer but at the same time I didn't receive an error message when signing up at the link. Has anybody else tried doing this without being targeted and been successful? I was ready to sign up for a challenge (unsure Gold or Plat yet) but I guess now I'll wait and see if my status upgrades anytime soon...
I am not targeted I registered for this offer using the code provided in this thread and I got registration confirmation and then after 5 minutes I got an e-mail confirmation. However, my status still the same.

I will wait 2 weeks and check if my status changes to gold or stay the same.

Last edited by NA-Flyer; Mar 4, 2010 at 3:13 pm
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
For those that were targeted, how long did it take your status to change?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:05 pm

I was targeted last year and it probably took at least a week if not two.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I know AA's IT system isn't exactly leading edge. But I find it hard to believe they would allow thousands of people (anyone without status, basically) not targeted for this promotion to get GLD free.

But let us know how it works out for you.
This also happened with some Citibank targeted promotion they had a while back (don't recall the details). It would let anyone register with no error. I think it even sent a registration confirmation. Then, a while later, those not targeted simply got emails telling them that they were not eligible. I'm quite sure that this will not work if not targeted. Not sure if they'll send an email or just blow off the invalid registrants.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I'm quite sure that this will not work if not targeted. Not sure if they'll send an email or just blow off the invalid registrants.
Yes, I'm thinking that AA will do a sweep at some point and see who was actually "invited" to the party. If every AAdvantage member (or huge numbers that weren't targeted and sent in the code) suddenly became GLD, imagine the luggage fees they'd be losing. That should get their attention.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Yes, I'm thinking that AA will do a sweep at some point and see who was actually "invited" to the party. If every AAdvantage member (or huge numbers that weren't targeted and sent in the code) suddenly became GLD, imagine the luggage fees they'd be losing. That should get their attention.
Only dweebs here (and I include myself because I tried it with the Citibank thing) would even know enough to try and pull a scam like this. Folks in the real world will not even know about this. The numbers will not be very large.

Cheers.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Folks in the real world will not even know about this. The numbers will not be very large.
Probably correct, this thread has had a little over 800 views so far. But this is the Internet and things do have a way of spreading quickly. Or someone might start trying to sell "free gold status" instructions on eBay.

Even as much as AA's IT system gets maligned, I can't imagine not catching those that aren't targeted.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 8:07 pm

I'm pretty sure AA will send an email to let those who were not targeted that they were not eligible. I know because I had tried it for something else before. I registered for this promotion anyway. Unfortunately, I was not one of the targeted ones. I had Gold membership in the past, but not last year. I only had about 19,500 or so EQM last year, and received a generic email towards the end of the year to "remind" me that I was that close to getting elite status.

I had seriously thought about doing a mileage run, but in light of the economy (there was possibility of layoffs at my company) and some already booked plans towards the end of the year, it just didn't happen. I didn't have elite status last year, but maybe I'll get the targeted email. I can only hope, right?
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Phasers
For those that were targeted, how long did it take your status to change?
Since I appear to be the first FTer who posted about this (on 3/2), I'll report back as soon as I know. The registration info said it would take 2 weeks.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It let me, base member with a Citi card, register. It would be to AA's benefit to process it as it would correct the last of the three things that sent me to NW/DL, 500 mile minimums. The other two were lack of service in the Northeast (PA) and connecting at the ORDeal.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
It let me, base member with a Citi card, register. It would be to AA's benefit to process it as it would correct the last of the three things that sent me to NW/DL, 500 mile minimums. The other two were lack of service in the Northeast (PA) and connecting at the ORDeal.
If the 500-mile minimum is what sent you over the edge, there's always the GLD challenge. If you're not flying that much, don't see how giving you free status is that much to AA's benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.