Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Targeted: Citi AAdvantage 1.2-1.5 miles per $ until May 31, 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Targeted: Citi AAdvantage 1.2-1.5 miles per $ until May 31, 2010

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by AA_CPA
I'm an AA gold and AAdvantage CC holder - should I have gotten the postcard? I get so much mail, and am so tired when I open it, I might have thrown it out.
Call Citi CS. They'll know if you got the offer and can register you even if you lost the postcard.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 12:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
Received clarification on the deal.

This is for those adding the Citi AMEX to their existing accounts. They qualify for a sign-up bonus, then get the 20% mileage premium.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:37 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Just got the postcards for both Mrs. dstan and me! Only 1.2 mi/$, though.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

This is for those adding the Citi AMEX to their existing accounts. They qualify for a sign-up bonus, then get the 20% mileage premium.
OP here. I never signed up for a Citi AmEx. That might be a parallel promo.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
The Citi AMEX bonus is a standing offer (or has been for some time). It has absolutely nothing to do with this targeted offer for people holding a standard Citi AA MC.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Hmm... My wife got a different promo offer yesterday. 250 mile bonus for every $1000 in spend until May 31. So that's 1.25, but I get the impression that the bonus may not kick in until you hit the $1000 spend level, then $2000 spend threshold, and so on. The letter didn't spell it out more clearly.

Called the toll free number to register. I just had to input the offer code on the mailing. Did not have to speak to a human and did not have to enter the full credit card number. (That is good. I get a little concerned when I get these promos that it could be a highly sophisticated phishing scam to get my credit card number.)

I don't quite understand how they select people for these targeted promos. My wife now has 2 promos running (her other one is double points on grocery and drugstore purchases with her Marriott branded Chase VISA card thru March 31). I've got none.
I also received this offer. I seems to be less lucrative than the 1.2 or 1.5 offers, as it looks like you need to spend in increments of 1K to receive any bonus miles. I am probably not going to change my usage as I am working on SPG spending.
Old Feb 28, 2010, 6:33 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium

This is a completely different promo. Citi tries to get me to sign up for their Amex with mailings every two weeks. That's their standard "sign up for a new Amex card, and we'll give you one-time bonus miles and 1.2 miles for the next XX months."

(My parents and I both got the promo discussed in this thread and neither of us have the Citi Amex.)
Old Mar 1, 2010, 7:52 pm

Location: SWUSA / AA PLAT, SPG PLAT, AMEX CENTURION, HHONORS Diamond
I received the 1:1.5% bonus offer.

barely, barely moves the needle for me (gets me to change my patterns). I used to be a major, major user of this very affinity card...but after Citibank stopped doing any sort of multiples promotion (2 for 1 was standard for some years) and worse, AA's Milesaaver initiative slaughtered award availability...saw no reason to further accumulate aa miles and box myself in w/ limited and diminishing choices. So I've spent the better part of a decade burning them off and literally going from a 7-figure charger to a 2-figure charger annually (yes, less than $100 per yr, and over half that was the annual fee)...card just sat and collected dust. Maybe C finally noticed those 7 figures went to 2 figures. hmm.

Shifted my spend to a 2% cashback card and backed that w/ the AMEX/SPG card.

I will probably dust off my last remaining Citibank/AA card and knock out some charges (more to exercise the card and show some usage so C doesn't kill my cl) and then retire the card to the dustbin until next year. C "sold off" my other high-cl Citibank card, unbeknownst and without my permission (until I missed the deadline to stop it), to Chase or maybe it was BofA, which turned it into a U-Promise card...oh well...its sitting collecting dust also.

Guess 1.5% beats spg's 20% bonus, so this wins the day for next couple of months.

What is saad her most of all is even w/ the 50% bonus I am not very thrilled to be accumulating aa points these days. Just too much hassle to find plaanahead aawards for my family when we leisure travel and I refuse to burn miles at anytime point levels. Good news is OnePass has become viable for me again after what AA did a couple of years ago.

Last edited by ILUVCITIBANK; Mar 1, 2010 at 8:01 pm
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:38 am

When do the bonus miles post

I signed up for this @ 1.2 miles per dollar sometime in mid Feb. But i just got my new Citicard statement for purchases through Mar 10, and I only received 1 mile per $1. I keep getting bounced around with customer service. Does anyone know if the bonus miles are supposed to accrue as you spend or if they will only post when the promotion ends on 5/31? Thanks
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:57 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jslmiles1
I signed up for this @ 1.2 miles per dollar sometime in mid Feb. But i just got my new Citicard statement for purchases through Mar 10, and I only received 1 mile per $1. I keep getting bounced around with customer service. Does anyone know if the bonus miles are supposed to accrue as you spend or if they will only post when the promotion ends on 5/31? Thanks
I'd suggest reading the fine print for your individual offer if you want the official answer. (I believe you also had to listen to it on the phone in order to accept the offer; I'm pretty sure the phone spiel I listened to described the earning and posting time frames.)

But the "anecdotal" answer is: Yes - they'll post after the promo ends. IIRC, the bonus miles posted in one chunk one statement after the last promo ended.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA-PLT
Originally Posted by JY1024
I'd suggest reading the fine print for your individual offer if you want the official answer. (I believe you also had to listen to it on the phone in order to accept the offer; I'm pretty sure the phone spiel I listened to described the earning and posting time frames.)

But the "anecdotal" answer is: Yes - they'll post after the promo ends. IIRC, the bonus miles posted in one chunk one statement after the last promo ended.

My bonus miles for these types of promotions have always posted each month at the same time as the regular miles.

I would call customer service to make sure you are registered. I had problems with the automated system but when I called customer service they signed me up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.