Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing ticket from Y to Instant Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Changing ticket from Y to Instant Upgrade

Corp travel dept purchased ticket for me in Y (K) on AMEX travel. Instant upgrade is only $40 higher than the Y ticket. Is there any simple way to change my ticket where I pay the $40 difference?

AMEX travel wasn't able to help. AA agent was clueless on what I wanted to do. Any magic words I should use?

thanks
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Call again - it's not rocket science for an AAgent to do this.

I don't know how restricted the K fare is - that theoretically could result in a change fee.

It's also very illustrative of why I do not trust most travel agents to carry water in a pitcher...
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
What you say you have a K fare, you don't say whether or not it's refundable or nonrefundable....with K inventory, it could be either one. If it's refundable, then you can just pay the fare difference. If it's nonrefundable, then you'll also have to pay the $150 change fee. It's really straightforward...AA should have no problem doing this. Sounds like you got a crappy agent. Just call back again.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
One option- If it was ticketed less than 24 hours, most travel agents, can void the ticket with AA and then rebook. It may cost your company two booking fees from the agency. I have often called AA after my agency books a ticket and made changes involving additional fees directly. There may be a fee depending upon you statuslevel to touch an agency ticket. Most often I have to talk with AA's meeting services desk.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys. Second call and a $20 change fee, I'm set. First agent all but called me an idiot, second girl knew exactly what I wanted and how to make it happen.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Call again - it's not rocket science for an AAgent to do this.

I don't know how restricted the K fare is - that theoretically could result in a change fee.

It's also very illustrative of why I do not trust most travel agents to carry water in a pitcher...
For many business travelers, assigned travel agents are the *only* option. I suspect this represents a majority of the AA travelers.

To the OP, I have found that sometimes the Y-UP fare is only available to travel agents. If you saw the fare on AA.com, then its fine. Otherwise, AA has a corporate department to deal with those, so any voluntary change has to go through them (transferred on the phone). This used to happen last year, but haven't had much experience recently. So, that could be a reason the first agent might be clueless.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spstx
First agent all but called me an idiot
Apparently it takes one to know one.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Le Club Accorhotels Plat; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Apparently it takes one to know one.
and this should make the OP feel better?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by tenn_ace
and this should make the OP feel better?
Sure, it let's him know there is someone like him out there.
I don't see the problem. Simply call AA and tell them you want to change from your current class to whatever fare class you want to change to. I don't see how that would confuse an AA agent. They know there are multiple classes, and they should know how to move you from one to another. If they have a question about the amount to charge, they can get help with that.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 10:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
i do this all of the time = the plat desk will transfer me to 'meeting services' and they are always able to get me the seat in 'F' and I would just pay the difference out of pocket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.