Wiki Posts
Search

Will I be charged baggage fee on All-Partners award flights

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonor Diamond, AA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Will I be charged baggage fee on All-Partners award flights

I booked an award travel on American Airlines/Alaska Airlines using AA miles. ORD-SEA-YEG and YEG-SEA-ORD.

Outbound trip: ORD-SEA on AA, SEA-YEG on AS
Inbound trip: both YEG-SEA-ORD are on AS

Questions:

For outbound flights, will the luggage be checked through? Since I am checking in at AA counter, I should be able to avoid the baggage fee?

For inbound flights, will AS honor my status with AA and waive the baggage fee?

Thanks for your help!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
If you have no status with AA and you are in Y, then YES, you will be charged for luggage fee. Not sure about inbound.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

I am EXP with AA. So I am OK with AA flight.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:16 pm

If, as you said, you have AA status, your baggage will be checked through by AA and you will not be charged baggage fees for the first two pieces of baggage outbound.

From what I know, AS does not waive baggage fee for AA elites. Therefore, on your inbound, you will have one free baggage [EDIT: Just found out that AS started charging for the first piece in 2009] and will have to pay for any subsequent pieces of luggage to AS.

Last edited by ckpeter; Feb 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm
Old Feb 10, 2010, 4:19 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by yuchung5
If you have no status with AA and you are in Y, then YES, you will be charged for luggage fee. Not sure about inbound.
Actually if you are on an actual Y ticket you will not be charged a baggage fee on American.
A full fare coach ticket is excluded and I am fairly certain a standard award is considered a Y fare and you will not be charged. Not sure about a saver award.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Again, as an EXP with AA, I will not be charged for any AA flights.

My main concern is for the inbound. AS website shows "Alaska Airlines or Horizon Air passengers traveling on tickets purchased on or after May 1, 2009, will be charged $15 for the first checked bag and $25 for the second checked bag.". So there is no free bag allowance. From what I gathered here, I may need to pay that because AS does not recognize AA status although it is a partner with AA.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by travelmi
From what I gathered here, I may need to pay that because AS does not recognize AA status although it is a partner with AA.
AS does not waive baggage fees for AA elites, nor for Delta elites.

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/www2/hel...kedBaggage.asp

AA doesn't waive baggage fees for AS flyers, either, while we're at it.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for helping out. I think it confirmed my original thought. Bags are free outbound and not free inbound. Guess I just have to pack light this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.