Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Flight disruptions - Eastern U.S. Winter Storm Jan 2010 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight disruptions - Eastern U.S. Winter Storm Jan 2010 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Flying home tonight into winter storm. Any advice?

Hello all,

I will be flying home this evening on AA from DFW to OKC. OKC was hit yesterday and today by freezing rain/sleet, with snow later today. This is the first time I am unsure if I will get in on time.

My flight is actually a 10PM departure from DFW, so I should be one of the last arrivals to OKC.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Should I call AA and try to get an earlier flight home? The friday night flight out is usually a very packed MD80 so I am sure I'm not the only one worrying about this.

I checked on the OKC airport website and it looks like, for now, AA has cancelled all incoming flights up until noon. The weather is supposed to let up around 1-2PM this afternoon, so I'm hoping they will maybe have time to clear the runways.

Thanks.

Last edited by dstan; Jan 29, 2010 at 10:33 pm Reason: updated thread title and restored OP title
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: DL Plat,AA Plat,UA 1Peon,SW(WN) Passing Grade
Hi...also headed home to OKC today (Friday)....That's what I do: keep checking on AA.com using the flight status for all DFW-OKC flights to see what's happening all day long.....when flights are re-starting from DFW-OKC.

Propbably most useful to make a back-up car rental reservation.....roads may be OK by late Fri or on Sat morning while flights still backed-up due to crew/aircraft limitations. The car rental will be useful even if you have to go find a DFW area hotel on Fri night, as well as giving you the option to drive as far north on I-35 to head towards OKC.

If you are in Dallas and have the option of Southwest out of Love, there have been several times when SW is still flying through Love when DFW is practically shut-down.

Perhaps option of booking a backup first flight on Sat or out of Love.....although check weather reports, it may be an OK drive to OKC sooner than flights recover.

Best wishes....(I'm leaving SLC to DEN on DL trying to make aconnection to SW/WN for the nonstop DEN-OKC, but now weather delays at DEN, says DL.)
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks, peersteve. I already booked a car reservation that I can drop off in OKC, so that's a good backup just in case. I'll be checking the flights as well to see if AA starts "not cancelling" flights.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: CX, AA
Dress warm
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:25 am

Programs: United, American, Southwest, USAirways, Delta
Driving is your Best Option

It's only 200 miles from Dallas to Ok City - roughly a 4-hour drive. You can spend that much time farting around at DFW, standing in lines, calling the reservation number, trying to get information.

Just get a car, leave about 8pm, and be home by midnight, stress-free.

Why risk getting stuck at DFW overnight, still having to face more madness tomorrow morning when they rebook you on an ungodly 6am flight?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:26 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk, ibs_traveller
Please continue to follow this thread in the AA Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:41 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Just in case you see it here before on the AA site, they are listing all the flights for today as canceled now including the 10 pm one. I would suggest driving.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Just got an automatic call from AA. They did cancel the DFW-OKC. I have a rental car reserved so I'll be driving back home.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:26 am

Programs: I fly too much and stay at too many hotels
Don't forget to call AA and request original routing credit for the miles and segments. they ought to do this for you even though they will likely offer to re-book you on the next avail. flight.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know if Alamo rental car will accept a debit card? I have a credit card to put on file, but I need to payment to come out of my debt.

Oh the fun of travel and bad weather
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: Primary: AA & Marriott; Also Hilton, JetBlue and United
Advice

Ask for advice and get it. My advice is to fasten your seatbelt a little extra tight.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
I'd stick around in a DFW hotel (the Hampton just south of the airport always seems to have decent rates) instead of driving in the middle of the night on iffy roads. Why take a chance? Things over here in Lubbock are pretty dicey--bad enough to have canceled all schools, including Texas Tech. What a winter we've had so far!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:08 pm

It's snowing here in Ardmore right now but the roads are okay so far. By nightfall I am expecting the roads to be in pretty bad shape. I would call for road conditions before driving 200 miles on bad roads.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by AA Novice
It's snowing here in Ardmore right now but the roads are okay so far. By nightfall I am expecting the roads to be in pretty bad shape. I would call for road conditions before driving 200 miles on bad roads.
A friend in OKC told me the weatherman is claiming it's snowing 1-3 inches per hour up there. The snow's falling on top of the ice that was already there. As noted above, it's snowing in the Ardmore area, also on top of the rain and sleet that came earlier. I think it's safe to assume the Arbuckles are getting it, too. While they're not really mountains, at least not imho, they're steep enough to be treacherous. Anyone planning to drive should proceed with caution.

W/r/t flights from DFW-OKC, my 12:25 yesterday was cancelled before I even left PHX yesterday morning. So far, several subsequent rebookings have been cancelled. I'm not holding my breath as I wait to see if the flight I'm booked on tomorrow will actually go.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by AA Novice
A friend in OKC told me the weatherman is claiming it's snowing 1-3 inches per hour up there, and that the snow's falling on top of a thick sheet of ice. As noted above, it's also snowing in the Ardmore area, on top of the rain and sleet that came earlier. I think it's safe to assume the Arbuckles are getting it, too. While they're not really mountains, at least not imho, they're steep enough to be treacherous. Anyone planning to drive should proceed with caution.

W/r/t flights from DFW-OKC, my 12:25 pm yesterday was cancelled before I even left PHX that morning. So far, several subsequent rebookings have been cancelled. I'm not holding my breath as I wait to see if the flight I'm booked on tomorrow will actually go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.