Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do elite baggage exemptions extend to companion?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Do elite baggage exemptions extend to companion?

I had always assumed that the baggage fee exemption for elite travelers extended to companions on the same PNR. Last weekend I was flying out of DEN and a friend of mine was on the same flight. I called up AA and asked that our PNRs be linked. Upon checking in together we presented 3 pieces of baggage. The TA processed everything and handed me our boarding passes, and then, lowering her voice, told me that she made an exception for the 3rd bag, which should have cost $25. So, was I wrong in assuming that each *traveler* on a GLD/PLT/EXP flyer's itinerary gets 2 free checked bags?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by phazedowt

...the baggage fee exemption for elite travelers extended to companions on the same PNR....

asked that our PNRs be linked...
Two linked reservations are still separate reservations. You need to have a single reservation for the baggage fees to be waived for all companions.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Gold 1MM, BA Blue again :-(, Hilton Silver
I had always assumed that the baggage fee exemption for elite travelers extended to companions on the same PNR. Last weekend I was flying out of DEN and a friend of mine was on the same flight. I called up AA and asked that our PNRs be linked. <snip>
They aren't the same PNR.
They are different ones, just linked.
So it seems to me they didnt qualify as being companions on the same PNR.

Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, 1MM
Originally Posted by ckpeter
Two linked reservations are still separate reservations. You need to have a single reservation for the baggage fees to be waived for all companions.
Aha, thank you for pointing this out. So once two separate reservations are made it's not possible to turn them into one?
Old Jan 27, 2010, 5:40 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Aha, thank you for pointing this out. So once two separate reservations are made it's not possible to turn them into one?
That's correct, and it's worse than that, even.

Say it started as one reservation, for two people. Upgrades are requested. One clears, but not the other. Because of the different cabin, the have to be split. Then the second one clears. They're still split, and will remain that way forever after. Even though AA does the split in that case, it's as if it started separately. Separate is separate and stays that way.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Very interesting brp I did not realise that if "it started as one reservation, for two people. Upgrades are requested. One clears, but not the other. Because of the different cabin, the have to be split. Then the second one clears. They're still split, and will remain that way forever after. Even though AA does the split in that case, it's as if it started separately".

Is there any way to avoid this happening. I presume that you could turn down the sigle upgrade. I also assume that this strategy could have negative consequences.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I had always assumed that the baggage fee exemption for elite travelers extended to companions on the same PNR. Last weekend I was flying out of DEN and a friend of mine was on the same flight. I called up AA and asked that our PNRs be linked. Upon checking in together we presented 3 pieces of baggage. The TA processed everything and handed me our boarding passes, and then, lowering her voice, told me that she made an exception for the 3rd bag, which should have cost $25. So, was I wrong in assuming that each *traveler* on a GLD/PLT/EXP flyer's itinerary gets 2 free checked bags?
Though exceptions are made, the rules clearly state the baggage fee waiver applies only to people on the same PNR as the elite.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
I suppose a printout with the original reservation on one PNR would be in order..

BM
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
...Is there any way to avoid this happening. I presume that you could turn down the sigle upgrade. I also assume that this strategy could have negative consequences.
The main negative consequence is that upgrade seats are often released one by one. An unsplit pair of travelers may be passed over, time and again, as each upgrade goes to the next single, and could end up sitting in the back of the bus. $25 for a third checked bag is cheap insurance against this very real possibility.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by burtonmadness
I suppose a printout with the original reservation on one PNR would be in order..

BM
This happened to me, group got split on upgrades, luckly I had my origional reservation and luggage fees were waived, agent was very nice about it.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:00 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by burtonmadness

BM
Originally Posted by kmandrew
This happened to me, group got split on upgrades, luckly I had my origional reservation and luggage fees were waived, agent was very nice about it.
Actually, the printout won't matter. They can tell that the record was split. If they're going to be nice and do it, they have all the information they need already available.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Advantage Starwood
I am not sure if I am reading this right. According to American Airlines these are the exceptions to the luggage charges

* Customers flying on the same reservation as an American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)
* First and Business Class MileSAAverŽ Awards
* First, Business and Economy Class AAnytimeŽ Awards
* First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

It would seem to me that if you are flying on the same reservation, the fees are waived. Someone else correct me if I am wrong on this.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FertilityDoc

It would seem to me that if you are flying on the same reservation, the fees are waived. Someone else correct me if I am wrong on this.
You are correct, but we're discussing the situation where the non-status companion is on a separate PNR (either done that way at the beginning or split for some reason). This means that they are not on the same reservation.

Cheers.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
Is this everyone on a single PNR that includes a GLD/PLT/EXP an AA unique benefit?

It must be and if so I it makes AA elite status very valuable for family trips. I was not aware of it and don't think UA or AA's other major competitors treat it this liberally. I've taken a few trips recently with my wife and two sons on UA and have been careful when checking in to put all the bags under my name as I am the only elite one in the PNR. I am pretty sure that if I put 1 bag under my name and the second under my wife's (non-elite) - they'd demand a credit card for $25.

But if we had flown AA instead of UA, I wouldn't have gotten into a big bru hah hah with my wife that we had to try to limit the clan to two bags. We each could have checked in up to two bags free?

This baggage fee thing is presenting a whole new dimension to elite benefits that would have been unthinkable a year ago.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I'm concerned about the upgrade issue, because we've requested them on an upcoming flight.

My husband is Gold. I am not. We are on the same PNR. We have requested sticker upgrades. Are you saying only one of us might clear? So one will be upgraded and one will be in the back of the bus, and if he wants to then decline and sit with me in coach he will not be able to?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.